Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 05-13-2003, 01:49 PM   #11
maccasmark
Founding Member

Default Re: The best street/track tires?

I use Michelin Pilot Sports on my 2002 CBR 600. I replaced the rear after 10,000 km - which included 6 track days at Phillip Island (about 1,200 kms on the track). Only the left side of the tire was worn (cos Phillip Is is mostly left handers).

I have since done 2,000 kms including 4 track days on the new tire. I'm getting faster on the track (now in medium group), and the new tire is definitely showing wear on the left side. But I expect to get quite a bit more wear out of them. What I really need to do, is start going to a different race-track with mostly right handers.

My best lap time at Phillip Is is 2:06.

Burn's video lap on the GSXR1000 was about 1:50.

Valentino laps around 1:33

My partner (who laps at 2:40) got 20,000 kms (including 4 track days) out of her Michelin Pilot Sports on a 2000 R6.
maccasmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-13-2003, 05:30 PM   #12
banda
Founding Member

Default Re: Whatchadoin?

What are you racing in Supermotard (Bike, tires, etc.)?

2000 Husqvarna SM610S, Maxxis Goldspeed intermediate supermoto tires, medium compound.

The bike is 60 pounds overweight. (battery, starter, counterbalancer, centrifugal compression release, speedometer, lighting coil, espresso maker, kitchen sink, etc.)

The rider is 25 pounds overweight (desk job, Krispy Kremes, satellite TV, cabernet, etc.)

Every time I go out, I get lapped by less riders in the final. I take that as a good sign. Two of the riders in my class in the local series are in the top ten in the Superbikers 2 Sport Rider Magazine national supermoto championship series. They are ungodly fast.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have started in a lesser class: Maybe get a YZ250F or an XR400 and run in the Lightweight Motard class instead of getting my a$$ handed to me in the Premier Open Supermotard class.

You can race any bike you want, on any tires you want in supermotard. There's a class for everyone. Quit hesitating. Just go do it.

SRC="http://speedzilla.zeroforum.com/zerofile/1181/banda.jpg" BORDER="0">
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 06:40 PM   #13
smythie
Founding Member

"What I really need to do, is start going to a different race-track with mostly right handers"

I dunno, I can't remember too many Clockwise track in Australia. There is Barbagello and the track at Ipswich outside Brisbane (can't remember its name - starts with W I think). I don't know about Broadford it might be clockwise. But don't bother with Sydney, the 2 track around here are both anti-clockwise.

"My partner (who laps at 2:40) got 20,000 kms (including 4 track days) out of her Michelin Pilot Sports on a 2000 R6."

20,000km? HOW?!! she must be very light, very, very light on the throttle and she couldn't be doing too much touring.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:14 PM   #14
maccasmark
Founding Member

Broadford does go clockwise. Unfortunately I cannot find where they advertise their ride days. The Australian Superbike School only have one ride day at Broadford, and it is in late May - which is a bit of a worry weather wise.

My partner used to lap at 3:00. It's only been recently her times have come down. She actually wore down the middle of the tire (flat spotted it), the sides still had plenty of tread. With her recently improved speed, I expect she'll only get around 15,000 kms on this set.

And yes, she is pretty light.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:47 AM   #15
ferb
Founding Member

Default Best Sport/Tour tires?

How about those of us who want stick but with a few more miles?

I run Bridgestone BT020's on my R1100S. I don't do track days (yet), but I do the ocassional run up and down Palomar Mt. (San Diego) and also the ocassional 500 or 1000-mile weekend. My 020's are nearly beat with almost 5000 miles on them. Is there a better choice out there? I was toying with the idea of the Michelin Macadams...

ferb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 07:08 AM   #16
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

10,000 Kms????? Wow. Good for you. I wish I had the same performance.

I've got a lightened NT650 Hawk (380 wet), plus my 225 lbs, all pushed by 50hp. At 1,000 miles, my rear Pilot Sport are getting a noticable flat spot (I live in flat, boring road land). If I see 3,000 miles, I'll be surprised.

The tires feel fantastic on the street, and I have raced on them before. Just wish they'd hold up better on the straight roads I have to live with.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 02:54 PM   #17
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Default I like the Macadams

I recently purchased a new R1150R which came with Macadams. I really like them.

They are very smooth and comfy on the freeway. They felt very planted on a recent wet canyon ride. They give good feedback in the switchbacks.

I'm not fast, so I can't say that I really push my tires. But they're very nice at toe-draging angles. (Haven't quite scraped a peg yet.)

Well, there's my .02.
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 09:21 PM   #18
smythie
Founding Member

Oops, I just did a bit of research and found that Winton is also a Clockwise track. The Superbike school isn't there until November though. bugger!

You could always do the Spurs though, they aren't far from Melbourne and the Reeftern Spur is a great ride if you can make it there. Some in our club rate as possibly the best in OZ.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:40 PM   #19
maccasmark
Founding Member

Default Re: The best roads in Vic

Yeah, I've done the Spurs a few times. But nothing compares the race track. I'm simply not willing to ride anywhere near my limits in such an uncontrolled situation.

Personally, my favourite roads are the Great Alpine Rd between Bairnsdale & Omeo, the road between Whitfield & Mansfield, the road between Lorne and Dean's Marsh (much less traffic than the Great Ocean Rd) and the road up to Mt Donna Buang.

Every time I've done the Spurs, it has been packed with cars. And there has always been at least one car than has crossed the line while passing me around a corner. Plus I haven't found the road condition to be that great.
Old 05-15-2003, 04:04 PM   #20
john
Founding Member

Default Re: Best Sport/Tour tires?

they are replacing the macadam with the michelin pilot road.

i had 90x on my bandit, front cupped real fast, and apparently this was a bad problem with th e90's that was supposedly corrected by the 100, but i cant say anything about that first hand