Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-30-2003, 03:04 AM   #1
drthompson65
Founding Member

Default Re: Curious about KTM...

Wow. First Post. KTM does some awesome bikes. You wouldn't be unhappy with your purchase. A buddy of mine has a SV650 with Givi hard bags and says it's the best bike he has ever owned. Gas, Tires, Oil and Chain is all he has ever done to it.
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2003, 03:42 AM   #2
obandoj
Founding Member

Get the SV, as far as faster and better handling, you will not believe it! Plus you get the reliability, great milage and cheap parts and service.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 03:58 AM   #3
Neal
Founding Member

The KTM LC4 is an incredible bike,its better in the dirt than the KLR but not quite as smooth on the hiway(yes Ive ridden both).if you gonna do a lot of desert and "occasional" freeway,its a good bet for you.......if you gonna do "occasional desert and more freeway,the KLR might be better.The only problem maybe that its not exactly a beginner offroad bike.....its tall and heavy...youll have to practice before you attack the tuff stuff.You might be better off to buy a street bike and a used XR250/400,but if I was you Id say hell with it and buy the Katoom...its a neat bike
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 04:50 AM   #4
lbauer
Founding Member

KLRs are supposed to be much easier and cheaper to maintain than KTMs. They may not be as great off-road, but with the right tires they can do pretty much anything fairly well. If money is an issue, it's hard to beat the KLR's value, and even if it's not, it's still a great all-purpose bike. Check out http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_klr650/ for more info.

-Lujo

'99 KLR 650
lbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 04:56 AM   #5
chopperdog
Founding Member

KTMs are beautiful, top'o'the'line machines. They're also pretty pricey. When I look at the price tag on a new sickle, the same thought always comes to mind, "For that much I could buy two used bikes!" For the price of an LC4 you could get a great used SV650 AND a good used XR 650. This of course assumes you have the space to store two bikes, but what living room wouldn't look better with a SV.
chopperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 05:04 AM   #6
Neal
Founding Member

youre probably right......the KLR can probably handle what 95% of us(including me) will ever be able to dish out at a cheaper price---both to buy and maintain.I let my enthusiasm for KTM cloud my judgement.The best bet for this guy is probably either a KLR or an SV and a used off road bike. But I still want a KTM.

Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 05:38 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

I know I'm going to step on some toes here, but in my own experience I would shy away from a dual purpose bike if I were using a bike as a general street bike. The main reason is that dual purpose bikes are dirt bikes which have been made street legal. While these are excellent bikes they seem to become worn out more quickly than bikes designed for street use. Their design basis is not longevity in the face of constant droning. Again my comment is generalized and other's experience may vary.

A dual purpose bike is about as different from a GL500 as you can get. Do you have any friends who own one you could borrow for a bit to see if you really like it?

Some people have experienced severe rim damage on KTMs from hitting curbs, etc. I don't know if the newer KTMs mount stouter rims or not. Anyone else know?

Also the big dual purpose bikes are very tall (I have to tippytoe my brother's 2001 Honda 650 with my 32 inch inseam) which makes it diffcult to balance heavy loads. Another thing to consider is the seats on these bikes which bear striking resemblances to sitting on a pine log. My brother bought the Honda DP for the purpose of commuting to work and found it viciously uncomfortable. I personally find that type of bike a poor choice for heavy street use.

All these criticisms are basically niggling and can be dealt with so... get what you like and to hell with what anyone else thinks. You are the one who has to live with it. Just try to get test rides before you buy.
Old 04-30-2003, 05:45 AM   #8
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Test rides? Buy what he likes?? What kind of crazy advice are you giving this guy?? LOL
Old 04-30-2003, 06:01 AM   #9
remanking
Founding Member

I have ridden the LC4 extensively, off and on road. It is a very capable off road bike, heavy but can handle it all. Obviously a lighter bike would be better on the tighest singletrack, but I have had no problems. On the freeway if your ride is over15-20 miles at a time it could get old. As with all dual purpose things, it can do it all. but it doesn't do any of it best.
remanking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 06:08 AM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

Damm! You're right. Forget all that. JUST READ MAGAZINES!