Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-30-2003, 11:29 PM   #31
Jexter
Founding Member

Default Re: Curious about KTM...

>...dual purpose bike is about as different from a GL500 as you can get....Also the big dual purpose bikes are very tall...

Well, not that my GL isn't the greatest thing on two wheels -it's all a matter of perspective *wheeze!*- but, I WAS kinda hoping for a change of pace. I'm 6'2", which is part of the reason I was starting to lean away from the SV, but I'll bear the other things in mind.

I really HOPE to get a test ride, but I doubt I'll get to. I only have one friend who rides, and it's a custom HD. When I go into the dealerships up here, they look at me like I kicked their dog. Maybe 'cuz I look as poor as I am. ::shrugs:: We'll see what the people at a big dealership think about it.

Thanks!
Jexter is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2003, 11:49 PM   #32
Jexter
Founding Member

I only technically have to register dirt bikes, which I think entails insurance. But I don't deal with such technicalities. Hell, I've still only got a permit!
Old 05-01-2003, 12:06 AM   #33
Jexter
Founding Member

Default Re: Dirt or street?

If I tried to take it two hours down the freeway, would I live? This'll probably end up my only transportation... Also, what's the hp on that thing roundabouts? I'm a goober for stats.

Thanks,

Jexter
Old 05-01-2003, 07:15 AM   #34
travisyoung
Founding Member

Hey MO, how about a KTM duke, BMW F650, KLR650, MuZ black panther comparo?
travisyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 08:23 AM   #35
jlwolff911@hotmail.c
Founding Member

Throw a leg over a BMW R1150GS. If you have more off than on road use the F650s should be another consideration.

Aprilias Capnorod (sp) seem to be bargin priced about now.
jlwolff911@hotmail.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 08:55 AM   #36
Intersport
Founding Member

Replace a GL500? Does that mean you keep bikes for 20 years at a stretch? A single cylinder dual sport will not last you 20 years of daily use, but a twin might. Also, factor in the comfort of a streetbike vs the vibration and hard seat of any KTM. I love my Duke II, but it ain't a dual sport bike, and it ain't comfy for long rides. That's why I have two bikes.
Intersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 09:03 AM   #37
ninjakris
Registered Member

I own a KTM LC4 Adventure R, and it is a wonderful around-town bike capable of handling some pretty gnarly off-road riding. As for comfort, KTMs vibrate more than their Japanese counterparts but I recently rode mine on a 2.5 hour trip from Topeka, Kan., to Lincoln, Neb., on the highway. It was more comforatble than the CBR929RR I owned previously. The Adventure model's 7.4 gallon tank means I can make the trip non-stop and then some too.
ninjakris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 10:32 AM   #38
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Ha!.. yeah, the KX500 is one hell of a good pick for sinking your eyeballs into their sockets too! Nothing like a dirt-bike that can lift the front wheel in 5th gear just by turning the throttle.

Telling a guy who's never done much dirt-riding to go get a KX500 is sort of like handing a 5th grader a hand-grenade and telling him it's a fire-cracker lol

Don't get me wrong, I love KX's.. my bro has a 500 (I have a 250), just thought about how -I- did the first time I ever rode his 500 .. it wasn't pretty.. and I had already had my dirtbike for some time! But, of course, I'm no off-road super-star, so who knows... just my experience. Some people swear it's easier to ride a 500 than a 250 (w/respect to two-stroke MX bikes)... hmmm... ohhh-kayyyy... ymmv. "Awww man, that ol' five-hunnert gots lots mo toke... dem dar two-fitty's gotta be all wringed out.. all hair-ball like and such!"

If you could super-moto the KX500, wow... now -that- would be a killer ride!... in all definitions of the term 'killer', but I digress...

-James

jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 12:49 PM   #39
Jexter
Founding Member

>Does that mean you keep bikes for 20 years at a stretch?

Heck no! I've only had the thing for about a year. It's an okay bike to learn on; a little heavy and sluggish, but it has crash bars. I just practiced at night in parking lots, playing slalom with the cement thingies.

If I have my way, I'll get a new bike every three years or so.
Old 05-01-2003, 01:13 PM   #40
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

One piece of advice never changes, regardless of the genre of motorcycle:

"If you are thinking about trying a totally different type of bike, then buy a well cared for used one first. If you don't like it, you can sell it without taking a beating."

As a KTM owner, I can say this: Their motto is "Ready to Race" and they mean it. Even the LC4's have a design and feel that says "I was built by racers." That is great when being aggressive, but can be tiring when droning along.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote