Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-30-2003, 11:48 AM   #21
marko
Founding Member

Default DRZ400 seems to be the current DS king..

there's 4 of 'em where I work.. everybody who has one swears by it. Light enough to handle real singletrack dirt, & OK on the freeway.

marko is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2003, 11:51 AM   #22
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: Curious about KTM...

Loved the Pine log comment! While the KLR has a wider seat than most its a bit too soft for any time in the saddle. After about 60 paved miles it was time for a walk...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 01:14 PM   #23
Hadji
Founding Member

Default KTM Supermoto??

Jexter, you haven't said which KTM you were going after. The new 950 v-twin? or the LC4 Adventure? or the Duke II. I think the bike to get for all your needs is the LC4 Supermoto. At 301 lbs, it's lighter than the Duke II and the Adventure and it comes w/17" rims to mount your street tires on if you decide to use it exclusively on the street. Or you could get a spare set of wheels and switch between dirt & street. The bike comes w/great tires for street and dirt. It probably is the ultimate in-town bike. It will positively embarrass the majority of motorcycles out there! Check out this review.

http://www.2wf.com/articles/bike_tes...199DAE4A07.asp

KTM has discontinued the DualPurpose which makes the Supermoto the least expensive of the LC4 bikes. I really think this is where you will get the most bang for your buck. I believe it so much that I am trying to get one this year. It's either that or get the 950 v-twin next year!

Singles and Twins Forever!
Hadji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 01:26 PM   #24
kawazuki
Founding Member

A consideration for those of you who are suggesting the "get two bikes" idea, if he has two motorcycles, he has to insure two motorcycles. That could get expensive.

-Kawazuki
kawazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 02:23 PM   #25
Neal
Founding Member

Where i live you dont have to ensure a pure offroad bike....if you buy a used one for about 1500-2500 cash
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 03:50 PM   #26
crankin500
Founding Member

Default Dirt or street?

If you are gonna be off roading, check out the Suzuki DRZ400-s. It is by far the best "main stream" dual sport for actual dirt use. Kawasaki also sells it in green as the KLX400. It's lighter (by 30-40lbs.) than a Kawi KLR650 and KTM LC4 and has better suspension.

Power wise, the 400 rips. It has a very wide powerband, is really smooth (for a 1-popper), revs high and is alot snappier than the KLR. Another major attribute of the DRZ400 is a wide ratio transmission. The KLR's first gear is way too fast for tough situations.
crankin500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 04:16 PM   #27
wfowade
Founding Member

Forget two bikes-you get a great discount if you insure FOUR!!! All kidding aside, I have four bikes (insured for liability only) and my total annual motorcycle insurance tab is $290.00! For four bikes. I told my wife, I should get more, just think what I will save on insurance.
wfowade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 05:57 PM   #28
giuliom
Registered Member

Funny, that's exactly the line I tried with my wife. She chose a dining table and chairs instead... Go figure!
giuliom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 06:30 PM   #29
wwalkersd
Founding Member

Check out the Suzuki V-Strom. Some modest dirt ability, it's a great streetbike, and hard bags are available to carry stuff. And unlike KTM, dealers are everywhere. See MO's review here.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 07:30 PM   #30
pplassm
Founding Member

I don't understand how you can say the KLR is easier to maintain than an LC4. LC4's have adjustable tappets, while KLR's have shim under bucket valve actuation. Perhaps you are thinking of the RFS's (400/450 and 520/525)? Then, the only consideration is frequent oil and filter changes.

I will agree that the initial purchase price is lower for the KLR is lower, but who in their right mind would take a KLR off-road? (Yes, I have ridden all of them. On and off-road.)

IMNSHO, get a cheap, used dirtbike, say a KDX200, XR250, or just about anything you can find cheap. A 640RXC might be OK on the highway, but adding any carrying capacity will greatly reduce it's off road capability.

That being said, I did spend several summers riding in the Italian/Austrian alps on a stripped down Yamaha XT600. It wasn't too bad on the highway; had a top speed of about 100 mph, but it really was a marginal dirtbike. Too heavy, and the compromise tires I had (Pirelli MT-21's) were of no use at all in mud.

So, like I said. Get a separate dirt bike. Anything you can find cheap. Spend money on protective gear. You'll need it!