Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-30-2003, 07:14 AM   #11
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: Curious about KTM...

How much have you had to put into your KLR? I spent about 2k to make it decent on the road. The brakes are frightening until you get an oversized front brake rotor and steel braided lines. Then once you do that you must buy progressive fork springs to keep the back tire on the ground.

Once I added everything up that I sunk into my 00 KLR I should of just bought the KTM instead. I probably would still own the KTM. Though there is nothing more fun in the tight stuff than a dualsport.

Oh, I also had my KLR self destruct at 11k miles, turned out to have a pitted crank from the factory. Luckily still under warranty at the time. A guy down the street from me had his blow at about the same time (and mileage), though his warranty was expired so he had to buy a salvaged motor.

If you live where freeway traffic runs about 70 mph the KLR is fine, but if its like here in the SF area where traffic runs 80 - 85 mph your a sitting duck...

For the price of a KTM you can also pick up a GS650. If memory serves a stock KLR 650 dynos at about 27 hp, bmw GS650 is right at 50 hp stock. You can also test ride a BMW, Kawi is buy it and hope you like it. Add in available antilock brakes and BMW starts to look good, well for more street orientated. Off road the KTM is going to smoke them both. Still KTM and BMW offer hard luggage. KLR does not have that option from the dealer
12er is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2003, 07:53 AM   #12
lbauer
Founding Member

I think that as far as aftermarket support goes it's really hard to beat the KLR. A number of vendors (but probably not the Kawi dealer, as you say) sell luggage racks which can be used with Givi cases, aluminum panniers, or soft luggage -- I recently switched from Givis to aluminum panniers. I agree that a steel-braided front brake line ($45) is something you should upgrade to, but few people run oversize rotors. Progressive springs are pretty cheap ($80 for for springs, $80 for shock spring). As for freeway traffic, I normally cruise at ~80 mph with no trouble, even 2 up. A 16-tooth front sprocket ($20) helps, but isn't necessary. Rear wheel horse power for a KLR 650 is in the mid-30s.

I'm not disputing that a KTM will be better off road, a BMW will be better on the highway, and both will have more power than a KLR. The KLR, however, will be better on the highway than the KTM, probably better off road than the BMW, and it will be drastically cheaper than either.

Cheers,

-Lujo

'99 KLR 650

lbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 07:55 AM   #13
elitegeezer
Founding Member

Default Don't discount the bimmer

take a look at the F650 gs dakar, it is a great bike.

decent on road, fun off road, comfortable, and you can pick up a second hand one for pretty cheap
elitegeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 08:23 AM   #14
TuneREX
Founding Member

I'm kind of surprised to hear about the motor problems. Not too common, except for that ridiculous business with the self-destructing balancer mechanism [the infamous KLR "doohickey" fiasco]. I owned a KLR for four years and had a similar experience. As soon as you buy it you have to spend about $1500 just to fix the bulls*** problems Kawi has let slide for what, 17 years now? i.e. no front brakes [a very expensive fix 'cause you need an oversize rotor], new rear suspension, some sort of [expensive] protection for the exposed gas tank area, etc. Basically, the deal is that you don't pay much, but you don't get much either. To be fair, the aftermarket support is fantastic and for certain kinds of travel, it's the only economical choice.
TuneREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 09:23 AM   #15
imported_g_k
Registered Member

I've ridden a few SV650s, and have recommended them to friends at work, (both of whom are quite happy with them now), and they're cool bikes. But, I just let my neighbor, who's owned his SV650 for a year, ride my KTM Duke II, and he was raving about how it's so much more fun to ride than his SV. I can't claim it's a better all-around bike than the SV, and it's not my only bike, and the seat height is pretty high, but if you can ride one before you decide you might change your mind about a KLR or SV. I'm 5'9'', and the seat's not too high for me, but I've been riding for a long time. A beginner might be a bit intimidated unless they're over 6' tall.

Just my 2 cents - having a somewhat unique bike is appealing to me, and I don't see many "Adrenaline" orange bikes on the road. It's generally more fun than my Aprilia RSV-R, even though it's not nearly as fast.
imported_g_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 10:55 AM   #16
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

In that case, you should rush right out and buy the KTM. ALWAYS buy the one you "Want" It's not supposed to be a Camry.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:51 AM   #17
Neal
Founding Member

I got 9 bikes in the garage now(not counting the one thats sold and the 2 "projects" in the shed).........my wife says no more bikes or she goes.I "want " her too!!!
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 12:11 PM   #18
Whatmough
Founding Member

How about a BMW GS. With the saddle boxes and trunk you should be able to do your shopping for a few weeks in one trip. You can also use it in the desert. It'a a bit heavy and high; but with some practice you'll get with it.
Whatmough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 12:43 PM   #19
Pacer
Founding Member

I agree with the two bike proposal. Buy the SV and an old XR 600 or even and old KX500. You could have either for $1500. When compermising between street and dirt you never get the best of either world. Now that I think of it buy a used SV and the KX. The KX is one hell of a desert bike.
Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 12:44 PM   #20
12er
Founding Member

Oh thanx for reminding me, the balancer let go 3k before the bottom end... Heck, probably was the reason the bottem end let go, well if something dropped on down and ground around. Though when the dealer says factory defect (on the bottom end), you dont argue.

I bought the M.A.P. Industrys front rotor kit for $500. It came with floating rotor, adapter, steel braded line and galpher green racing pads.

Other mods included

K&N air filter

Dynojet kit

Supertrapp IDS II (15 disks on road, 12 off)

16 tooth sprocket

progressive fork springs

acerbis bark busters with added air foils

gel grips

new handlebars

Kawi soft tail bag (totally loved this thing for $99)

Ortlib dry saddlebags

bag supports

Halogen headlight bulb (though blew the fuse on high now and then)

Avon Gripsters (slipsters in the rain, down right terrifying)

Metzler street rubber

Probably a thing or two more that the old melon let slide...

The seat was next until the bottom end blew and took 4 months to get it out of the shop. At that point it was time to say good bye. Still it was one hell of a blast in the twistys. Hence why the LC8 KTM is on my wish list.

I must admit the aftermarket is too strong for the KLR, too many goodies to zap the bank account. But it needs several of the goodies just to make it safe on the road.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote