Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-23-2003, 03:46 AM   #1
grubz916
Registered Member

Default Re: Which 250 do i get!?

Sorry man, us Americans aren't allowed such toys. IMHO definitly go 2-stroke. I had a MC-21 Honda NSR250 when I lived in Poland a few years ago, which I managed to import from Italy in 7 cardboard boxes. Nothing beats the light weight or simplicity of a stroker, or the cloud of smoke they puff upon startup on a cool autumn morning.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2003, 05:24 AM   #2
jng1226
Founding Member

Default Aprilia!

You didn't mention anything about an Aprilia RS250. Are they available and road legal there? They use the latest-generation Suzuki RGV Gamma 2-stroke, and are supposedly quite reliable if left stock. My friend has one for just a track day bike (they're not road legal in the USA) and he absolutely loves it.
jng1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 06:21 AM   #3
Chango
Founding Member

When shopping for a 250 cc machine, trying to balance performance, learning curve and price, especially the performance part, doesn't really matter as much, I wouldn't think. Due to a lack of decent 250's in the US, I don't have any experience with them except for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation beginner class.

If this is going to be your first bike, or your first bike in a while, I'd go with the Suzuki Bandit 250 from the options you listed. Why? Because there are two kinds of riders: those that have dropped their bikes and those that will drop their bikes. I know the ZZ-R has some plastic fairing parts that will get damaged in a tipover, and I'll bet the CBR has plastic to break, unless you meant CB... The Bandit 250 doesn't have a pretty little plastic fairing to get scratched and broken when it slides into the intersection on its side. But the real reason I'm telling you to buy a Bandit is because I'm quite fond of mine and we need more Bandits on the road! Even if they're in Australia.

Remeber, it's always easier to do things the hard way. Chango
Old 04-23-2003, 06:38 AM   #4
Slimer
Founding Member

Locate and acquire a used VTR250.

90 degree V Twin, well more power than the ZZR till the ZZR is nearing redline, and the little twit will do 120 (mph). Plus, it's a twin that revs to 13,500 which is cool.

Oh, and they come in some really candy-ass colors, too, so paint yours straight away if you get the white, pink, and teal model.

I had a blast on mine.

Slimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 06:41 AM   #5
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Yamaha TZ 250!
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 08:14 AM   #6
DialedIN
Founding Member

If I remember right the 250 limitation is for a year.. I would get a 250 cc dual sport bike , they fit fine for a big man, and are alot of fun. Besides being a very good learning tool in the dirt ... At the end of the year when you move up to a bigger street ride, you can always keep the 250 for fun in the dirt... you do have dirt in Australia...
DialedIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 08:30 AM   #7
Fangit
Founding Member

Default Honda VTR250

My pick for a sensible but stylish bike with Monster-esque looks is the Honda VTR250 or VT250L Spada. See www.250ccbikes.com and scroll down for photos/info.
Fangit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 08:48 AM   #8
pated
Registered Member

Hey man, I'm 6'1", 220 pounds, and put 15,000 miles on a Ninja 250R. Loved it. That bike would do about 95mph, and cruise at 75 all day. It was light and small, handled great and super easy to park. Never had a problem with it either. Don't worry about being a girlie man, just ride!
pated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 09:37 AM   #9
everiman
Registered Member

I wouldn't get a 250, I would go for that Honda 150 NSR , (39 HP!!!), and never buy another bike if that 39 HP was for real.

Howsomever, if I was a learning all over again, and I know what I know now, I would probably spring for a cheap used 250 dual purpose, and spend most of my time dirt riding, with the objective of improving my street riding skills. After I completed my dirt apprenticeship, I would get a street only bike, and never ride in the dirt again (dirt bein for vegetables an all).
everiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 11:08 AM   #10
Sean_Burke
Founding Member

Get your license, and wait to buy a bike until the tiered licensing requirements fades.

Failing that, but a cheap used standard model, and learn on that for one year. After that time, the depreciation shouldn't be to bad, and you can purchase the bike of your dreams.
Sean_Burke is offline   Reply With Quote