Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Which 250 Should I Get? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/1800-250-should-i-get.html)

BBD_Racing 04-23-2003 11:25 AM

Re: Which 250 do i get!?

XR250. Dual sport is definitely the way to go. You will learn 10x as much in the dirt and actually have fun. At 220lbs, I have to rev my friend's VTR250 to 10K in order to leave a stoplight faster than a 90hp sedan.

The XR won't be much faster, but at least you can go sideways in some gravel.

dardas 04-23-2003 11:59 AM

I second that. I rode one over in Japan and it was an absolute blast! Decent aftermarket from what I unserstand, too. A mini Ducati monster.

rsheidler 04-23-2003 12:46 PM

Now you're talkin'!!

I saw one that Nick Ianatsch (sp?) had converted to street legal (not quite sure how it was slipped past DMV) that was pretty cool. Couldn't talk him into letting me ride it though.

rsheidler 04-23-2003 12:59 PM

Haven't been many 250 street-legal bikes sold here in the US for a long time so most of us won't be familiar with most of your possible choices.

I assume that the ZZR250 Kwacker is the same as the 250 Ninja sold here -- if so, that seems a reasonable choice. I wouldn't mine having one now, after having ridden for 35+ years!

The suggestion of going with a dual-purpose makes sense to me, especially if you have access to any decent off-road riding near where you live. The size will probably fit you better and you can hone your skills sliding in the dirt. Plus, once you move up, you can keep the dirt bike to play with -- every cyclist needs an old dirt bike in his/her garage!

Whatever you pick, have fun and ride safely!

Cheers

Bob

KPaulCook 04-23-2003 01:03 PM

Thats 250 per cylinder right :) Here in the U.S. a 600 is a small bike.

rsheidler 04-23-2003 01:03 PM

>>if that 39 HP was for real<<

If so, it is probably at something like 19,000 rpm with a useable power band of something like 500rpm!

Should be a kick though!

merv 04-23-2003 03:18 PM

Hi Aussie. In NZ the VTR250 has been on sale as the latest version for a few months now as seen here http://www.honda-motorcycles.co.nz/Whats_New_VTR250.htm Equivalent price is about $7,000 Aus.

I'm not sure what sort of hp they make but I know KPaul would love the comment in the guff that says

"V-twin Power

The liquid cooled 4-stroke 8-valve DOHC 90° V-twin engine has been designed to provide maximum torque at low to medium speeds giving the sense of total power that only a V-twin can deliver."

So it sounds like it won't have much up top like a screamin 4 cylinder 250 would.

Your choice really, do you want a dirt 250 to really get to learn to ride in all conditions, do you want the twin with good low to medium revs power (good on the streets around town), or do you want a 4 like a ZZR or CBR that you gotta keep tapping on the shifter to keep it above 15,000rpm but you'll enjoy high speed roads with sweeping bends.

You didn't say where you live or what use you gonna put it to, but if you are only going to cruise the streets of Sydney or Melbourne you'd be better off with the twin. The 4 will drive you made trying to make enough revs to take off at the lights and you'll get dragged off by all the more torquey bikes.

Cheers

Merv.

maccasmark 04-23-2003 03:24 PM

I'm 6'4" and slim. During my probation I had a 2nd hand Suzuki Across which is generally regarded as the 250 most suited to tall riders. The only problem with the Across was poor mileage - 160-180kms a tank. It has a 12lt tank under the seat. What looks like the tank is actually a boot big enough to fit a helmet.

I prefer the look of the CBR250 (I have a CBR600 now), but it was simply too small.

I also had an RGV on loan for 2 months - which was awesome. However it gave me a sore neck after long rides - because of the extreme bent over riding position (very low clip ons). And like all 2 strokes, it smokes and smells a lot.

Whatever 250 you get - buy one that will make you want to go out and ride it, rather than getting one that will best handle a crash.

I've done over 35,000kms (including 10 track days) in the two years since I got my licence and have never dropped the bike (admittedly I've had a few scares). Neither have any of my friends that got their licence at the same time dropped their bikes. A big reason for this is advanced rider training. Every time I thought my riding was getting pretty good, I'd go on another course and discover just how little I knew.

I would strongly advise the H.A.R.T courses and the Australian Superbike School.

cyclox 04-23-2003 03:36 PM

I've been riding an '88 VTR 250 for close to a year now, and it's been a blast. Who cares about the ugly pastel colors, the thing is great in the twisties, and I don't have to worry about anyone stealing it. Or at least I hope I don't. It forces you to learn to keep it dialed into the power band and is tame enough to avoid ill consequences should you do stupid things with the throttle. Insurance is way cheap too.

A friend of mine who races 500s said there's a guy he knows who races a near-stock VTR250 in the 500cc class. New racers show up, laugh at him, and then get smoked in the curves...

Happy riding!

davoduc 04-23-2003 04:01 PM

I'm gonna go with the BBD_Racing guy. A dual-sport 250 of any kind will be cheap, easy to learn and test on, fun in the dirt (which you have some of in Australia, I've heard), and easy to unload/trade when your restriction is over. It's not going to win many drag races, but none of the street 250's will either. It makes good sense if you're going to move up in a year and the insurance will almost certainly be cheaper than a faired motorcycle.