Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Revelation: The Beauty of Simplicity (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/1795-revelation-beauty-simplicity.html)

HelterSkelter 04-22-2003 03:40 AM

Re: Revelation: The Beauty of Simplicity

My Hog has pretty straight forward maintenance, all you need for a tool kit is a cell phone and a master card.

What happened to the days of a hammer and a screwdriver?

SmokeU 04-22-2003 03:57 AM

My Magna comes with an even simpler tool kit...nothing. Doesn't need a thing. Although I'm looking at a Buell S3T, so I may need to upgrade my tools.

dwr461 04-22-2003 04:32 AM

Wow the Magna has run flat tires and a maintenance interval of never. That's very impressive.

Take care,

Dave

electraglider_1997 04-22-2003 04:42 AM

I've been saying this all along

Beemers have it right and so does Harley. You don't even have to adjust valves on Harleys and Buells, except for the V-Rod. Now with fuel injection you don't even have to sync carbs anymore. I understand that Ducatis have desmotronic valve trains that are pretty difficult to adjust (just what I've read). If you ask me, the less you have to maintain the better off you are. Ok, a crotch rocket is way faster but you know what? Who cares. When you factor in all the speeding tickets and higher insurance premiums and the high cost of replacing plastic body panels and skin grafts, and relearning the alphabet, you are way ahead on a Harley, or Beemer.

KPaulCook 04-22-2003 05:24 AM

How many miles do you have on that Hog? What's that? You only ride it for parade duty and your Saturday ride to the Poser bar? Not bad for a guy that flunked Math.

jumbo 04-22-2003 05:25 AM

Keep your Magna for all the time the buell is in the shop

navion_pa1 04-22-2003 05:42 AM

Just hope you don't have to change the clutch on the BMW. I take a little more time to adjust the values and less cost on replacing the BMW clutch. Had two of them go out at

50,000 miles and one on the ol ladies K at

35,000, each one cost between $700- and $900. It's the labor 8 hours to pull the tranny and every thing else that needs to come off the bike.

Like the simpler, pull the side cover and slide the new plates in the basket.

seruzawa 04-22-2003 06:06 AM

Even more simplicity can be had if you nail a couple of old roller skates to a board and nail a stick on the side for a brake.

Just be sure that your ride to work is downhill both ways.

Or you could just get a Harley

SilverBullet 04-22-2003 06:06 AM

I do not understand why you have to rag on Harley riders ALL the time.

It is possible that in KPaul's World all Harley riders are as ignorant as you portray yourself to be with your constant generalizations out of nowhere. In the real world that is just not true (not for all at least). The truth is that some people like bikes that you don't for reasons different than yours. How's that?

Stop being a prick.

caderider 04-22-2003 06:08 AM

Re: I've been saying this all along

Agreed. Not all bikers (read: motorcycle riders) desire to blister along the roads at insane speeds, be able to flick in and out of traffic and stop with my rear wheel in the air.

If that's what you enjoy, so be it.

Maybe 10-20 years ago I would have also, but just 'cruising' following with the traffic & enjoying the scenery is fine by me. I like to be able to hear my stereo and enjoy it.

brian