Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-22-2003, 07:58 AM   #21
theDuke
Founding Member

Default Re: Revelation: The Beauty of Simplicity

I like your theory about BMWs. Too bad you forgot to mention their crap FI surging problems, finicky ABS systems, and their apparent inability to make an on-bike clock that doesn't kill your battery if you leave it off a battery tender for more than two weeks.

On the other hand, the valves are easy to adjust. I like that they have center stands... even if the real reason they have them is to prevent start-up smoke if the bike has been left on the sidestand and the oil runs into the cylinder head.

Shaft drive is clean and, frankly, precludes the constant need for a center stand for chain oiling in the first place. It's chain-driven bikes that really benefit from one of these stands. I wouldn't argue that having a center stand doesn't make other jobs (valve adjustments, luggage loading and unloading, wheel cleaning, brake pad checks, etc) easier as well, though.

Wow, I think I just sold myself on buying a Yamaha V-star... if only they had a center stand...
theDuke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-22-2003, 08:04 AM   #22
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Snow Hog

I ride at least 20,000 a year almost every year, and I don't live all that far from Milwaukee. I ride year round when the snow isn't on the streets, and I'm sure a single 2 week trip this year will net more miles than you will do in 52 weeks. Weren't you the one bytching about being uncomfortable after rding a whole 100 miles not long ago? No wonder you only ride 72 miles in one stretch. Let's do some back to back 800 milers Mr. Ninja and then talk.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:04 AM   #23
caderider
Registered Member

Default Re: I've been saying this all along

What if comparing cornering ability doesn't even come into question - as in highway cruising? What if the rider doesn't really care about it in the first place? Kinda means that all the cruiser/sportbike arguments mean nothing to anyone except those that like to argue.

Sounds kind of like comparing the cornering ability of an Acura NSX to a Chevy pick-up: does the pick-up driver even care? Neither do I.

If I _were_ going to buy a bike because it corners well, then I would do so - but that is not my thing.

Ride what you like because you like it, not because others do (if they do, it's a bonus).

Brian

Old 04-22-2003, 08:06 AM   #24
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Like the stripe on your back?
Old 04-22-2003, 08:06 AM   #25
rsheidler
Founding Member

Yeah, I would say that Moto Guzzi does count for simplicity.

You are right that the paralever shaft drive setup is not the simplest thing in the world, but it is not exactly rocket science either -- basically one more u-joint and a suspension link compared to a typical drive shaft. It is also not exactly trouble-free.

BMW (and to some extent Harley) are a bit conflicted in respect to simplicity vs complexity -- pretty sophisticated electronics (efi, abs etc, plus optional gps and that sort of thing) with seemingly stone-axe basic mechanical layout of the motor.

As several others have pointed out, BMW valve adjustments are simple, but some of the other maintenance is difficult and expensive, and as you say, few of us will ever need to do a valve job in the African desert. Still, when I am in the middle of adjusting the desmo valvegear on my Ducati, I find myself really wishing I still had my old air-head Beemer!
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 08:17 AM   #26
rsheidler
Founding Member

Actually the only BMWs with the oiling problem if left on the sidestand are the K bikes -- I guess a small glitch in the usually superior German engineering overlooked the idea that the layout results in the cylinders pointing downhill. Maybe someone accidently flipped the blueprints?

I guess putting the sidestand on the right side would be too weird even for BMW.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:21 AM   #27
seruzawa
The Toad

I've owned too many German vehicles to believe in the myth of "superior German engineering" any more.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:28 AM   #28
coyn586
Founding Member

I do that "..just 'cruising' following with the traffic & enjoying the scenery is fine by me. I like to be able to hear my stereo and enjoy it." too.. but I do it in my car

coyn586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 08:54 AM   #29
rsheidler
Founding Member

Good point about different factors being relevant to different riders. I am reminded of an old Consumer Reports review of a Corvette. This was probably aroung 1970 or so. They did their usual tests and measurements and concluded that the car was unacceptable because the trunk space was very small, door openings were too small, and fuel economy was poor. All their data was certainly accurate, and totally irrelevant to anyone considering a Corvette.

Slamming a Harley (or any other cruiser) because of its cornering limitations not matching sportbike standards is about as logical as slamming a sportbike because the sound system sucks compared to that of a Goldwing.

Having said all that, it is a myth that Harleys cannot corner. I ride a Ducati and I also roadrace, but at the pace I normally ride on the street, I have several friends with Harleys who have no difficulty keeping up. These guys stay away from interstates whenever possible and prefer the same twisty mountain backroads that I do. Sure, someone on a R6 can smoke them if he really pushes it, but they don't really care.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:56 AM   #30
Haird
Founding Member

I have no trouble geting my rear wheel off the ground stopping my beemer. Getting the front wheel off, now that's a different story ...
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote