Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-16-2003, 12:13 PM   #51
Pain_Seraphiin
Founding Member

Default Re: Sound and power delivery

Thanks for the info. I will print this. But what are "02 Eliminators"?
Pain_Seraphiin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-16-2003, 12:16 PM   #52
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: KPaul's predictions.

1. Interesting prediction....you may be right as far as the racing but I doubt they will discontinue it yet....we'll see

2.Safe prediction since ithe transition is already happening but I predict it will be quite a while(GT 5 years)before the Ducati air cooled Vtwin is phased out.

3.again,you may well be right in the long run but it will take awhile

4.same as above

5.No poop Sherlock!

6.Another safe bet.....even Harley is betting on this;hence the VROD I predict more Harley VR based cruisers(and tourers)in near future

7.Depends on how widely you define nakeds and sport bikes....if you include sport tourers,sporty standards,etc. you may be right.

,but if you include only true race replica type sportbikes and naked sport bikes I have to disagree with you.I used to think you were right,but in my area the 30 something sport bike riders are showing interest in radical Harley based or Harley clone customs(cruisers)

Even my 21 year old son,the Kawasaki loving ,Ninja riding,Harley hating KPAUL wannabe allowed the other day that if he had the money hed want a Jesse James style bike.

times change,opinions change and we gotta go with the flow.should be interesting.

Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 12:17 PM   #53
Pain_Seraphiin
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati to market V-4s,Sport V-Twins days are numbered

Well!!!!! Where is my VFR1000! PS: I realize the Vtec has nothing to do with the torque. The vtech is only fun for hot-rodding. For torque and normal riding, it get's in the way.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:20 PM   #54
Neal
Founding Member

Answer him Longride!....I cant wait LOL!!!!
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 12:54 PM   #55
Mashuri
Founding Member

They are just dummy plugs that fool your FI system into thinking the oxygen sensors are still plugged in (no error codes) but your bike continuously runs in open loop operation, it's richest and smoothest running fuel curve.
Mashuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 01:08 PM   #56
rsheidler
Founding Member

Given the fact that Ducati have just spent mega-bucks on a major upgrade to their air cooled V-twin, and that the air cooled Monster (in various displacements) makes up a major portion of their sales volume, I don't think they will phase them our very soon. The new DS (Dual Spark) motor meets all current and proposed EC emission standards as well.

BTW, the new BMW Boxer (what I call a 180 degree V-twin) also meets these European standards (it also uses twin plugs -- seems to be the new fashion for big twins).

Both Ducati and BMW are very successful companies run by businessmen (albeit ones who also have a passion for motorcycles) so I doubt if they would have spent the money for these new versions if they thought they were soon to be obsolete -- especially since, unlike Japanese firms, these companies have a tradition of long production runs from a motor design.

Oh, yeah, Harley seems to be able to meet all the emission standards as well, and seems also to have acheived some moderate sales success with air cooled twins, and apparently intend to keep making them for a few more years.

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 01:08 PM   #57
Anton_1
Founding Member

I owed a '83 VF intercepter, I swear there was no way to get the rear valve cover out of the frame with the engine in place. You could just move it out of the way enough to get feeler gauge in to check the valves.
Anton_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 01:24 PM   #58
dardas
Founding Member

To be fair to KPaul, I don't think he was speaking of inline engines. Rather, I believe he was referring to engines with more than 2 cylinders.

"...it is inferior to multiple cylinder bikes of the same displacement"

I think that's fair enough.
dardas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 02:05 PM   #59
Pain_Seraphiin
Founding Member

Yes, that abrupt throttle response is painful, especially at slow parking lot speeds.
Old 04-16-2003, 02:11 PM   #60
Pain_Seraphiin
Founding Member

Default Re: Basic Economics 101

Not true. Forgiveness doesn't come. Instead, you will pay and you will pay and you will pay ......

Oh god, after only 1.5 years of marriage. I need to suck on my 357!