Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-16-2003, 08:51 AM   #41
Mashuri
Founding Member

Default Re: Sound and power delivery

Well, I don't have to remap for the Staintune slip-ons but I likely will anyway. The new VFR comes pretty choked up from the factory so it can meet 2008 emissions standards (God knows why they want to...) I got spoiled by the perfect injection on my '02 R1 so I'm on a quest to clean up the VFR's abrupt throttle response and slight stumbling at 4500-5000 RPM. I put on O2 eliminators and that seemd to clean up the abruptness but I think I'm going to get a Power Commander III so I can remap the whole curve. People with the PCIII's say it really helps the bike, with or without an exhaust. Costs so far has been $600 for the Staintunes (2 mufflers cost more than 1) and $30.00 for 2 O2 eliminators. The PCIII will run about $300.

Just a note on the Staintunes, these things are great! They come with easily-removable "spud" baffles that, when installed, make the bike almost as quiet as stock. When you remove them, however, you get the full melody of the V4. I also like the fact that it's packed with steel wool so you never have to repack the mufflers, unlike fiberglass packing.
Mashuri is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-16-2003, 08:51 AM   #42
tshelver
Registered Member

Default Re: Ducati to market V-4s,Sport V-Twins days are numbered

Well I just sold my 180 degree 1100 V-Twin (BMW Boxer), and replaced it with with an inline 4 1200.

Previously sold a Moto Guzzi 1000 and replaced it with a BMW K100RS 4.

In both cases the four was way more powerful than the twin.

Very much depends on the implementation: My '02 ZX12R has much more low end and midrange torque then my R11GS ever thought of making, no V-TEC required...
tshelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 08:53 AM   #43
Mashuri
Founding Member

The problem isn't because the VFR is a V4, it's because it's a moderately-tuned 800. Believe me, if it was a VFR1000 (I would KILL for Honda to make this again) you wouldn't have to worry about what gear you were in.
Mashuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 08:54 AM   #44
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: KPaul's predictions.

1)Yes, they may stop racing it, but they won't discontinue it if it still makes them money.

2) Yes, and it's already started, so this is not much of a prediction. They would be forced to do this anyway because of EPA/EU emissions regulations.

3) No, because they couldn't do much better than they have recently and it would be horrendously expensive to start with brand new technology.

4) Why would Aprilia make a production triple? Are they having massive failure with their V-Twins on the sales floors? Would it increase their sales?

5) Yes. You got this one correct.

6) See #2. And the market won't decline in the near future- see below.

7) This won't happen by 2020. Harley's market share may slowly decline (but they will still be the dominant force in the immediate years to come) and the Japanese may continue to gain in this category, but the cruiser market will remain strong for the same reasons it is strong now- it offers all of the things that sportbikes do (power, fun to ride on twisty roads, good styling, pride of ownership, just on a different or smaller scale) and many things that sportbikes and naked bikes can't or don't: a truly relaxed ride, a feeling of luxury akin to that of a Mercedes or Lexus (you don't see people passing them up for WRXs, do you?) comfort, easy personalization, and a social/lifestyle aspect that involves the entire family in a non-threatening and non-testosterone-riddled environment and doesn't involve splattering yourself all over the road in the pursuit of bragging rights at the local sunday hangout or frequent arrests and/or hassles by the police simply because of the type of bike you are riding. If you look at the new buyers for cruisers, especially performance cruisers, you will see that many of them are guys (and gals) who own or used to own sportbikes and who want something that offers the above characteristics. However, you almost never see people who used to own cruisers going to sportbikes. There is a continuum, so to speak, for motorcycle owners with regards to what we own. Many of us start out with small off-road bikes, then go to sport bikes, then go either directly to cruisers or to cruisers via sport-touring bikes. After cruisers come touring bikes, then old age and dentures.

Old 04-16-2003, 09:24 AM   #45
seruzawa
The Toad

One thing to consider is this: The Honda V-4s are the amongst the most incredibly difficult motorcycles to work on. For example, to replace the rear head pipes in the Magnas you must remove the engine from the frame. To remove the engine there are no shortcuts, evereything from the radiator to the air box must be removed. This makes putting an aftermarket exhaust on these bikes the most daunting of tasks. I don't know the frame geometry of the new Interceptors, but the older ones were nightmares too.

If you like to do your own maintenance I would suggest leaving the Honda V-4s alone.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:22 AM   #46
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

All stupid answers. I should have expected as much. Inline fours don't dominate any form of racing unless the rules are limited. In GP where the rules are more open, they are getting, and will continue to get stomped. That means by your limited thinking inline fours will stop being raced. And yes, an SV 1000 is a sport bike. Maybe even your brain can wrap itself around that. It certainly cannot be classified as anything else. Mentioning the SV 650 is stupid and has no bearing on anything, so it goes with the rest of your stupid answers. And since Honda is expert at classifying things, why don't they run an inline four in GP, if it's so good? Because it's inferior to a V configuration right? So then if V configuration engines are superior, then why build or race inline fours? See how stupid you sound? Just make sure you don't rev that 600 of yours over 9 grand so that superior power will never be used.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:23 AM   #47
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Predictions are like a$$holes and it looks like you have 7 of em.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:59 AM   #48
Neal
Founding Member

LOL Longride,be easy on the boy;he cant help himself.This was actually one of his better posts. You're older,wiser and more mature;help lead him out of the morass of his youthful ignorance and help him see the light.Dont call him stupid and ruin his self confidence.LOL MAN I love this site!
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 11:00 AM   #49
KPaulCook
Banned

Thanks. I can always count on you to have a constructive thing to say. You always resort to a coment like this. Why?
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 11:02 AM   #50
KPaulCook
Banned

Reagan voice "There you go again" Stop attacking and start discussing.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote