Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Ducati to market V-4s,Sport V-Twins days are numbered (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/1779-ducati-market-v-4s-sport-v-twins-days-numbered.html)

Nem 04-16-2003 07:23 AM

Re: Ducati to market V-4s,Sport V-Twins days are numbered

Good oportunity to have it designed by someone else than Terblanche.

longride 04-16-2003 07:26 AM

I wonder if Honda decides to market the V-5 GP machine, does that mean sport inline four days are numbered? Why did Suzuki just come out with a 1000 V-Twin sport machine, when they have no desire to race it? Why would producing one type of machine necessarily mean the demise of another? Does KPaul have any answers to these questions?

BRIAN_1 04-16-2003 07:57 AM

Re: v-4 failure?

V-4's used to dominate superbike racing and I wouldn't exactly call Honda's VFR a sales failure. I do agree that it is a relatively expensive engine for it's performance level compared to inline fours though.

BRIAN_1 04-16-2003 08:01 AM

I think that the VFR's current power delivery is very similar to an inline four, maybe a little more linear. But it sounds waaaay cooler.

FrankS1 04-16-2003 08:11 AM

I've owned two Honda V-4s and presently own a Ducati V twin. There are d*** good reasons for preferring the Ducati, e.g. smooth power delivery, feel, and the way it sounds. So don't accuse me of anti-Honda bias out of ignorance.

If Ducati wins some GP races, or at least finishes respectably, they may decide to offer a street version. I won't take them up on their offer, unless they pull some kind of acoustical and manufacturing cost miracle.

And even if they do make a V-4 available I can't believe KPaul is dumb enough to believe that it will be a hot enough seller to make Ducati, Suzuki AND Honda take their V twins off the market. No matter what he wrote in his headline.

sarnali 04-16-2003 08:27 AM

Re: Basic Economics 101

I'm guessing $500. for that antique and $4500. for nitro for seruzawa's heart attack ! Your right though a commodity is only worth what someone will pay for it. Pundits have been predicting Harley's bubble bursting for about 20 years now. I think the days of buying over MSRP are numbered, I don't think you'll see discounts on new ones anytime soon. The real surprise to me is how strong the used HD market has been. I was checking into new R1150R's, It would be cheaper for me to buy the BM right now than to keep my Suzuki, I just re-fi'd my house so I can pay some bill's or completly ***** my wife off and buy a new bike,,,,,

seruzawa 04-16-2003 08:28 AM

Re: Basic Economics 101

and people who have no interest in buying or selling them feel better qualified to divine "value" through some other method,

I think that these are the people who go to work for the government. This is how you get hammers worth $650.

sarnali 04-16-2003 08:31 AM

Re: Alan Cathcart Predicts Magic Wonder Bike

Isn't Sir Alan the one that came up with the 2500cc Norton V12 or some bull*****?

sarnali 04-16-2003 08:38 AM

Ducati may well market a V4 based on the moto gp bike, but I can't see a V4 monster, and that is their biggest seller. the most likely scenario is a limited production race rep V4 and twins in everything else.

KPaulCook 04-16-2003 08:50 AM

KPaul's predictions.

[*]Honda will discontinue the RC-51 and will stop racing it next year in favor of the new CBR1000RR.
[*]Ducati will continue to market V-Twins but will replace air cooled with liquid cooled.
[*]Ducati will discontinue racing V-Twins in WSB as soon as a V-4 is brought to market.
[*]Aprilia will stop racing V-Twins when they market a Triple based on their MotoGP bike.
[*]Aprilia will continue market V-Twins.
[*]V-Twins will continue to dominate the soon to be declining cruiser market. But liquid cruisers will become more prevalent.
[*]Naked and Sport Bike sales will surpass cruiser sales by 2010.