Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-14-2003, 08:37 AM   #11
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Doesn't make sense

We are already sending families to the poor house to recover medical costs.

Then people get upset. So they complain to their legislators who pass more laws "regulating" medical treatment. Medical costs skyrocket even more causing more people to be unable to afford it. So more govt regulation is applied until we have socialized medicine.

Then the decision whether to let you live or die is made by a govt bureaucrat rather than an insurance company.

I'll take the insurance company. After all it's the bureaucrats who screwed it up in the first place.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-14-2003, 08:37 AM   #12
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Fast Lines at the Emergency Room

You ever eat fast food ? Next!
Old 04-14-2003, 08:39 AM   #13
Shadowspawn
Founding Member

Default Clarification

I remeber 1-2 years ago when this issue first came up, and the actual problem, based on my recollections is much more insidious than not having medical insurance. The situation this is designed to correct does not have to do with acutally obtaining medical insurance. I have never been asked my an employeer who was offereing insurance how I planned to arrive at work. The actual problem would be in coverage.

That is to say the bill that congress immediately passed basically said that if your employeer is offering insurance, they can't pick and choose who it is offered to. In addition it stated that if you had coverage previously and a given condition was covered, then if there is no lapse between your policies, any new coverage you obtain had to cover it as well.

The problem for motocyclers (and skiiers, ATV riders, moutain climbers, etc.) was that the insurance agency got to the buerecrats (sp) and got them to say, essentially "Well, if you get injured while engaged in a high risk situation unrealted to your job, we don't actually have to pay your medical bills". So you would be going along on your bike, have some sort of accident, get taken to the hospital, tell your S.O. "Don't worry hon, this is what we have insurance for." Give the hospital your card, get your treatment, go home, recover, and several weeks later get a bill in the mail for all the medical treatment since the insurance company denied your claim because you were injured while on a motorcyle (or skiing, rock climbing, etc.)

The kicker is that while what you were doing was perfectly legal, albeit high risk, people involved in illegal activities such as Drunk Driving would have any injuries that occured while doing so covered, as that was not listed as a "high risk leisure activity".

-Spawn
Shadowspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 12:31 PM   #14
F451
Founding Member

Default First Regain that which was Lost...

This is such a serious issue that any argument on it, in the present, wastes precious time on achieving what needs to get done now! This link will take you to the AMA site where you can contact your Congressperson:

Tell Congress Today!

After, we regain what we have lost, then the commensurate bellyaching can ensue, but getting our rights reestablished comes first.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 01:10 PM   #15
_searcher_
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA and Health Insurance

Somebody above me had it right: this is just an age-old business scam to save fat insurance companies money by denying care to groups that don't have rich lobbyists protecting them. It's so corrupt it makes you want to puke - but then so is our entire federal election and governing system.

This sucks especially because it involves me getting screwed, not some other poor sap.

The good news is that every snivelling dark lord responsible for squeezing this scam through is suffering from a supreme lack of self esteem, due largely to the tiny, shrivelled member curled in his tighty whities.
_searcher_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 06:21 AM   #16
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: First Regain that which was Lost...

Done! And I agree with you wholeheartedly on the action part- shoot now, ask questions later.