Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-11-2003, 01:53 PM   #1
_searcher_
Founding Member

Default Re: I need MOpinions on Rubbers

Without getting into specifics - I would say that mileage on tires is almost completely dependent on how you ride. I've had touring tires that I've roasted in 3000 miles (that said - that was old-tech bias ply).

My experience with Dunlop D207s was less than 2000 miles. SO - I would say get the cheapest, grippiest tires and stop worrying about how long they're going to last.

If you're poor, ride mellow
_searcher_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2003, 02:44 PM   #2
justaspeedfreak
Founding Member

Default Abstinence...

is the only way to ensure no wear. If you must partake, use the Metzler Sportec's. They are fine rubbers and always last many sessions for me. I even used them at Road Atlanta and they worked great!
justaspeedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 03:01 PM   #3
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Default Bridgestones

I have BT010s on 2 of my bikes and they are fantastic (on top of that they're NOT expensive at all).

Riding very agressively (doing burnouts even) I got over 6000 on the rear of my Speed Triple and the front is still going strong.

When I buy, I buy BT010s.

SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 04:34 PM   #4
triumph900
Founding Member

Default Re: Bridgestones

Agreed, the 010's are a decent tire. Had them on a Speed Triple, lasted about 5000-5500 (can't remember). Also now on my Speed Four (only 1600 so far). But the 020's which came on a Sprint I had weren't too bad, and they are supposed to last longer. Can't speak about the price of the 020 VS. 010.
triumph900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 05:24 PM   #5
12er
Founding Member

Mez4's are my choice, just had a new set (3rd in a row) thrown on the old K12 week before last. I get about the same 9k out of them before the front is bald...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 06:09 PM   #6
BiZ
Founding Member

Dude.... No question, you want one of two tires.

Bridgestone BT010's, or Avon Azaro II (35/36 for sport touring, 39/40 for sport... er... sporting?)

Check out this link right here.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/produc...cumentID=55817

Anyways, I've used both, and they both kick booty, and don't cost squat.
BiZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 07:00 PM   #7
crazybike_37
Founding Member

Default CRAZY TALKS BACK

Well, unless somebody gives me some real info about grip on the Z4's or the BT-020's(anybody done any scratching on a set of D220's?), I'm just gonna order up a pair of BT-010's. Unless somebody has a pretty good idea of what kind of sidewall scrubbing-ness I can get out of a set of sport-tourers, I'm gonna play it safe and get sport skins. I dang near tucked the front on the set of Z4's I've got on there now, and that was with about 6,000 miles on em. They were about 1 1/2-2 years old at the time, and I wasn't even scratching anything yet. Scared the poop out of me. Not just the prospect of crashing, but really the idea of getting cozy with the barb-wire fence along the side of the road.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:21 PM   #8
smythie
Founding Member

Default Re: CRAZY TALKS BACK

The 020's are a pretty good tyre. They don't have quite as good turn in as the 010 does, but the rear does wear pretty well. And they stick pretty damn well. One of my friends got his Bandit over far enough to touch the frame down, and that was two up. There are others in our club that ride with the 020's and are very happy. Some others in the club ride with a combination of an 010 on the front and an 020 on the rear. probably the best of both worlds.

Also have a look at the Michelin Pilot Sport. It is another good tyre. It's only problem is that it needs some heat in it before it gets max grip. As a result it doesn't have the wet road grip that some others like the 010's have.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:45 PM   #9
sarnali
Founding Member

Why don't you try Dunlop D220's? even though they replace D205's they're more sport than touring and they stick like glue in the rain. I mean cranked-n-banked rolling on the throttle fairly hard and hardly sliding at all, I woudn't bother with the Maxxis myself, I was so broke I put a set of Cheng-Shins on my Sporty years back and about all you could say was they kept the rims off the ground, I'd guess Maxxis would be about the same.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 08:55 PM   #10
YZFknucklehead
Founding Member

Default Re: CRAZY TALKS BACK

The BT010 tires are great. I'm getting ready to change my rear BT010 tire that has 6300 miles on it. It came with my F4i and those tires heat up fast, stick to wet pavement and perform flawlessly on the road. The BT020 tires are also good, but not as sticky. Stick with your decision.
YZFknucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote