Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-10-2003, 04:32 AM   #1
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Re: S&S Cycle Celebration

Way to go S&S! I remember reading that S&S manufactured around 100,000 V-twin engines last year and I found that to be an incredible amount. Hopefully MO will get and publish the specs on this 145 ci monster and maybe even build a bike with one. Again, kudos to S&S for doing it right. See you at Sturgis this August.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2003, 08:35 AM   #2
wwalkersd
Founding Member

Wow! I had no idea S&S had been around so long! I guess they started making parts long before there was a market for complete HD-clone engines. Though somehow I don't see MO assembling a bike with one of these monsters (even if one were available). It just ain't a MO kinda thing to do.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 08:45 AM   #3
Shadowspawn
Founding Member

Default Duck an Cover!

Okay, I like all motorcyles. I really don't have a pro-This or anti-That bend. That being said, if this were any post on these message boards, it would be considered pure flame bait to mention air cooled V-Twin motorcyles and "innovation" in the same sentence. I'm surprised this hasn't been pointed out by the usual suspects yet....

Wonder how long it will take. Wonder if this counts...

-Spawn
Shadowspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 09:52 AM   #4
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: Duck an Cover!

Anyone questioning the use of innovation in this article would have to be ignorant about George Smith and the era in which he made his name.At the time ,HD was a very competitive bike on the Drag strips and dry lake beds(unless you could afford and find a Vincent) and Smith's innovative designs helped set many records.If you dont believe it,try to get a chance to see his old panhead test mule.Some of the engineering and machining will blow your mind.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 12:51 PM   #5
F451
Founding Member

Right on! Way to go S&S. How come no direct link to S&S on this article?
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 02:23 PM   #6
Mooner
Founding Member

$250,000, Huh? Maybe I'll go back to dreaming about Mondials and Benellis.... unless... I win that lottery...then it CAN BE MINE, ALL MINE, HA HA HA HA HA. Seriously though, imagine what the going price will be in a few years. For that matter, what they be worth immediatley after they are sold.
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 07:42 AM   #7
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

"celebrating S&S's 45th anniversary and saluting the pioneer, Harley-Davidson, and all enthusiasts who have steered the 100-year evolution of the V-Twin motorcycle market."

Wow, do they know anything about motorcycle history? V-twin motorcycles have been evolving for much longer than 100 years and were around long before Harley.

Old 04-11-2003, 07:53 AM   #8
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Duck an Cover!

Ditto on that- comparing an S&S motor (or most other aftermarket HS based motors) is like comparing a Superbike race motor to the one in a production streetbike- they may look kinda the same on the outside, but that's where all similarity ends.
Old 04-12-2003, 12:28 PM   #9
ridinsince59
Founding Member

"Wow, do they know anything about motorcycle history? V-twin motorcycles have been evolving for much longer than 100 years and were around long before Harley."

Careful, Captain! Too much a this heresey and we'll all be treated to another Lowayman "hit & run" post re possees, ghost towns, and bar-cleanings of asian atrociteurs by righteous bands of hd noisemakers!
ridinsince59 is offline   Reply With Quote