Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-02-2003, 07:59 AM   #41
Shadowspawn
Founding Member

Default Get real crazy

If you are really really into wrenching, then why not just go all out. Get the motor you want and put it in the bike you like.

One that I saw in motrocycle cruiser that really appealed to me was someone who tool the V-Max engine and dropped it into a road star. Supposedly the thing just flew.

Or maybe find a beatup SV and shoe horn the engine into the Honda Shadow VLX (600cc cruiser). It would take some creativity, and maybe sometime with the pipe bender, but you would definately be sure no one else is riding your bike.

-Spawn
Shadowspawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2003, 08:45 AM   #42
zootsuit
Founding Member

Default Re: I need MOpinions on what cruiser to buy

Since you come with sport riding experience, you'll probably want a good-handling, good-braking bike. The Intruder 1400 is probably still the best-handling cruiser that it was when MO did a comparison test a few years ago. The Intruder hasn't been comparison tested lately, though.

The only serious problem with it is the brakes. The single disc is what they call "suitable for a cruiser," meaning the bike is underbraked.

zootsuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 10:02 AM   #43
Betamax
Founding Member

Default pot calling the kettle black...

I only have my own experiences to draw upon, and that's what I'm reporting here. I test rode a Sporty and it shook like sh*t.

I'm also quite ready to believe what Sarnali wrote. It's nothing to me if people prove that my personal experience isn't representative of Sportsters in general.
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 10:43 AM   #44
Betamax
Founding Member

Default Re: CRAZY TALKS BACK

check out the Spiritworld forum:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/TheSpiritWorld/start

they can tell you all you want to know.

I didn't recommend the Magna before because you said you wanted torque. But the Magna has the same torque and almost twice the horsepower as the Spirit 750, and a stock Magna will still be faster than a Spirit 750 with all the mods you can throw at it. So consider the Magna before buying a Spirit. The Magna isn't as pretty, but it's a lot more powerful.
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 11:17 AM   #45
Rekord
Founding Member

For 4 grands you can get a Suzuki Volusia 1 or two years old. Look at the reviews and check www.volusiaowners.com and test ride one. It is far better than a 750 Spirit IMHO.
Rekord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 11:28 AM   #46
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Aren't you a little old to be wiping up oil leaks and picking up parts that fall off that junk Harley? Get your mods done yet? I'm not doing a thing until I get back from my trip in May, then I may do the pipes and air cleaner. How's the junk Geezer running?
Old 04-02-2003, 11:41 AM   #47
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

There have been lots of improvements in 46 years, and the Sportster incorporates most of them. Improved suspension, disk brakes, cast wheels, CV carb, electric start, electric ignition, aluminum heads and barrels, etc. They didn't counterbalance or rubber-mount the motor, which makes it vibrate more than a bike that has either of those two features. It also makes the frame easier to modify and the motor simpler to wrench. Regardless of your experience, the Sportster is certainly the most basic, and versatile, motorcycle that can be bought from any manufacturer, and at a very cheap price. No other bike can go from chopper, to tourer, to street tracker so easily and look so good doing it. A Sportster is not for everyone, but anyone looking for a motorcycle to modify, I couldn't think of a better choice for the backyard wrench.
Old 04-02-2003, 11:57 AM   #48
maxriderdon
Founding Member

I have to agree with the Intruder 1400. MegabangObuck! See Review here @ motorcycle.com. Solid proven bike. Not a copy of HD. More like Virago(sleeper), and 800 Vulcans.

Can be hopped up for little money. Uncork gives more performance than same mod for most cruisers. Just a cool bike for little bread and reliable. I ride a V-max and...I...Love it! However you already have a fast bike. For a cruiser, the max is wicked fast, even faster than the Porche/HD V-rod, and the motor can be pushed even way faster if you got the balls and money. One more thing. Make sure the bike fits you or it can be made to fit with little cash.

Have fun!!!
Old 04-02-2003, 12:26 PM   #49
rsheidler
Founding Member

Happy Birthday you old fart! Damn, I just called someone 14 years younger than I am and old fart -- what does that make me?

Hope you are still happy with the geezer-glide mods.

I'll be sure to raise a toast to your birthday this evening.

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 12:48 PM   #50
DragonF6
Registered Member

Default Re: A Valkyrie ...

Motorcycle Cruiser magazine in 2000...here's the link to the article-

http://vrcc.photostash.com/vrcc_14954/HappyHour.jpg

Any other questions?
DragonF6 is offline   Reply With Quote