Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-31-2003, 04:48 AM   #1
HoundDawg
Founding Member

Default Re: Phillip Island WSB Results

Looks like the Ducati Cup Series is going to be a yawner this year. The only questions will be will Hodgson and Xaus run the entire year 1-2 and how well will Corser and the Foggy team improve?
HoundDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-31-2003, 05:47 AM   #2
GSXRWolf
Founding Member

Does anyone have a link to the rules for World Superbike? All I've seen and heard is vague information about the restrictions on the 4 cylinder open class bikes. The AMA website has the rules posted for the world to see but I don't see the same on the World Superbike site.

Looks like the Foggy bike and the Suzuki have some potential. Maybe a slightly reduced restriction is in order to close up the racing but it's still early in the season. IMHO they should reduce the restriction a lot and if the multi's burn off their tires, so be it. Go ahead and let the Ducati's use their superior power delivery off the corners and their advantage in handling to win the race. Why do the multi's need to be so restricted? Here's some more food for thought, Ducati won the first Superstock race of the year. The 999 is off to a good start this year.

I see the top finishing RC51 didn't finish the first race and was 17th on the second race. At least they beat the no-show Aprillias!
GSXRWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 05:59 AM   #3
KPaulCook
Banned

Default "Inferior "CBR600RR wins again

CBR600RR wins again
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 06:04 AM   #4
rsheidler
Founding Member

The full rules for all the international series (eg WSB, MotoGP, etc) are on the FIM web site (www.fim.ch/en/).

You have to download an Adobe file, which takes awhile with my slow dial-up connection.

Bob

rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 06:10 AM   #5
rsheidler
Founding Member

Did you see the same races that I did?

Aside from the fact that the field was predominantly Ducatis, the races were about as good as any I have seen recently, and, in my opinion, the camera coverage was first rate. Eg, in race one, where Hodgson was not being challenged, the camera stayed on the great racing back in 2-5th spots.

Lavilla on the bix gixxer looked really impressive -- either he is one hell of a lot better racer than I had credited, or that gixxer is really improving (answer is probably some of both). Seeing Frankie Chile on the podium was also great!

I have been one of the more vocal critics of the WSB leading up to this season, but if they can deliver racing like this regularly, I'll have to take back at least part of my complaints!

Bob
Old 03-31-2003, 06:20 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re:

If you knew anything at all about racing you would know that rider is more important than bike. Note that the highly poo-pooed and "ancient" Suzuki took 2nd and 4th.

The controversy was over Honda's refusal to provide a test bike to MO. MO didn't say it was inferior. Honda's own actions fueled the speculation that the Honda sucked, so yag at them.

Idiot.

Buz, kick me please. I got sucked in again.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:25 AM   #7
KPaulCook
Banned

Default There you go again

Go yack at your wives.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 06:32 AM   #8
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: CBR600RR

Since we are talking about WSB/WSS here, by "wins again" you mean "wins for the first time" as Suzuki won the first round!

You will note that the "obsolete" Suzuki took 2 of the top 5 spots, and since those were the only Suzukis in the field, that means that they had a 100% top 5 finish percentage.

BTW, I don't recall anyone claiming that the CBR600RR was inferior, just that it does not clearly dominate. Considering that it costs $500 more than its competition, by your famous cost/performance ratio, it should be better!

BTW, the Honda did win the BSB Supersport race Sunday as well. Also of interest is that the inagural race for the new Triumph Daytona 600 netted a 9th place finish -- ahead of a whole bunch of Hondas, Yamahas etc. Not bad for the first outing! Oh yeah, a Ducati 748 (not the new 749) was 4th.

Regards

Bob

Old 03-31-2003, 06:49 AM   #9
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Its the Riders as Well as the Teams

To second your comments, I add that Vermullion (sp?) was racing on his home track, and that Stephan Chambon, who most consider to the the stronger of the 2-man Suzuki squad was still recovering from broken ribs (and, if I recall, broken ankle) that kept him out of round one.

In addition, even though these bikes are supposedly "production," the construction and setup is at least as important as for Superbike. Honda always have the strongest support teams and the biggest budgets.

I am not at all knocking Honda for this -- an old acquaintance of mine is team manager for one of the AMA factory teams, and I know how good he is. My point is that ALL the bikes at the front of the grid are a lot better than what you could buy (that is, assuming that Honda actually had any bikes to sell you, but that is another issue).

Buz, step in and kick me too, while you are at it!

Bob
Old 03-31-2003, 07:04 AM   #10
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Lost again

Too bad the Honda didn't win the Cycle World 600 shootout either. The Yamaha R6 did. Better run out and buy one of those now, along with the magazine to carry with you in the tank bag so you can show your friends. Also, remember to keep it under 9000 rpm for best performance.