Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-31-2003, 02:10 PM   #31
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: CBR gives rider a decisive advantage

Yeah, can you just see some factory rider who just won being interview for the cameras telling all the world what a piece of crap the bike is? Even Roberts has a better PR sense than that!
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-31-2003, 02:16 PM   #32
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda a close second in CYCLE WORLD review but wins 1/4 mile

The Kawasaki they tested had the the steeringhead bearings overtightened which made it steer funny, they when they loosened it, it tended to headshake. As none of the other tests I have read had a similar problem, I suspect that they had a defective bike. That was the only thing they criticised about the bike, and I am sure the reason it didn't rank higher.
Old 03-31-2003, 02:23 PM   #33
sarnali
Founding Member

No, No, he's riding the exact same bike you could buy off the showroom, in fact he's kinda' slow and out of shape as a rider, if it wasn't for his fabulous all new box-stock CBR600RR(tm) he'd be another also ran!
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 02:24 PM   #34
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Daytona

I dunno, Hacking had no problem beating everybody but Kurtis at Daytona (and Kurtis won by the narrowest of margins there). Nothing against DiSalvo, but I would pick Hacking over him just because of Hacking's experience in the class.
Old 03-31-2003, 02:26 PM   #35
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

However, they also said that this is a recurring problem with Kawasakis, which leads me to believe that it's just the brand, not a defective bike.
Old 03-31-2003, 02:29 PM   #36
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Oh, and they also said that both the front and rear suspension had too much compression damping, and that that problem couldn't be solved through adjustment.

They also said the new radial brakes didn't have great feel.
Old 03-31-2003, 03:24 PM   #37
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Daytona

I agree that Hacking will likely show better than DiSalvo this year for exactly the reason you mention -- relative lack of experience on DiSalvo's part. The kid shows incredible speed though, and I pick him as one of the ones to watch -- maybe the next Hayden or Bostrom.

Changing the subject only slightly -- where do we pick our beloved Sean to place at Fontana? I'm thinking the 636 Kwacker will be pretty competitive against the 750 gixxers, but Sean's extra girth will offset a big portion of the Kwacker's weight advantage. What do you think -- is top 10 acheivable? Maybe we should start a pool.

Regards

Bob

Old 03-31-2003, 03:56 PM   #38
rsheidler
Founding Member

You know, I heard similar comments about radial brakes from (if my memory serves) one of the WSB Ducati racers when Ducati first tested them. I have not ridden a bike with them, but I can imagine that the feel might be different and thus take some time to adjust.

Someplace recently I read a test of the new 1000 gixxer, which has the same brakes (but different pads) and the testers were comparing them (unfavorably) with the Kwacker brakes (apparently the pads on the gixxer had less initial bike).

Of the tests on the new Kawasaki, it seems the opinions on the radial brakes are all over the place -- some raving about them, some noticing no difference and some criticizing the lack of feel.

If I recall (it has been a couple of days since I read the test and I AM getting senile) they didn't so much criticise the suspension as say that they were not able to tune out the headshake with the available adjustments.

Seems like at least one other test did say that the bike needed a steering damper (personally, I think all bikes in this class should come with them) but nobody else had any serious issues with the steering.

It is interesting how different the various reviews of the same bikes can be. If you compare RRW, MO, and CW -- all are primarily (or totally) track tests, with little weighting of street-riding factors. MO and RRW pick the 636 first, while CW picks the R6 first, and the 636 third. All are skilled, experienced testers but very different results. Then, the Suzuki that pretty much everyone picks as near the back wins the first WSB round and 2 of the top 5 at the next so go figure!

Clearly even on the track, the one with the best rider will win virtually every time, and that is even more true on the street. Bottom line, pick your favorite based on color choice, or what dealer you like, or whatever brand prejudice you have -- it all makes as much sense as quibbling over some magazine's ranking.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:01 PM   #39
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Coincidence I think not. Is it the rider? Is it the team? Is it the bike?

A CBR 600 RR is leading the AMA and British Supersport Champtionship. The bike is also tied for the World Supersport championship. What one thing do they all have in common? THE BIKE Not the rider Not the team

Game set match gentleman.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 07:02 PM   #40
KPaulCook
Banned

Coincidence I think not. Is it the rider? Is it the team? Is it the bike?

A CBR 600 RR is leading the AMA and British Supersport Championships. The bike is also tied for the World Supersport championship. What one thing do they all have in common? THE BIKE

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote