Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-28-2003, 04:23 AM   #1
GSXRWolf
Founding Member

Default Re: John Hopkins,The US,and Moto GP

I can't wait for the first race. Are the Honda's going to dominate? How good is the Ducati? Can the Suzukis get up to speed? How about Edwards? Hayden? Bring it on!
GSXRWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2003, 05:16 AM   #2
nokneedragin
Founding Member

More power to him (in this and on the track. He just might be the guy to bring GP back to America. Even if he never wins a race but does bring GP to us he will be remembered fondly. I do think he has the potential to win, if they could get him a decent bike. He has been pretty amazing considering he had no experience in international racing, and had not even won an AMA superbike title.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 05:31 AM   #3
ssmiley
Founding Member

Good Luck! Without a US race itÂ’ll be difficult generating any buzz here in the States.

LetÂ’s face it, with a saturation of races (9 of 16) and the accompanying accessibility itÂ’s plain to see why MotoGP is so popular in Europe.
ssmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 05:51 AM   #4
robb_millett
Registered Member

*sigh*

I hope it goes well, but what what the american commmonweal like in his/her motorsports is embodied by NASCAR.

In this country, motorcyclists are considered a fringe element, and WE ALL still continue to struggle under the reputation begun in Hollister CA.
robb_millett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 07:24 AM   #5
soloyosh
Founding Member

In America, motorcycles are for recreation. In Europe and much of Asia they are transportation.

It burns me up when I look into financing a bike and the rate is outrageous. When I ask why it is because they consider it a recreational purchase. When I ride, I am not clogging lanes with my empty Excursion, I am using less gas, and I am actually paying attention to whats going on instead of eating, talking on the cell, or reading.

THEY SHOULD PAY ME TO RIDE!
Old 03-28-2003, 07:48 AM   #6
mandog
Founding Member

Good Luck. Why can't Speed-TV cover some of the races on Two whell Tue. ? I wish they would. I watch old clips on Moto GP web sight.
mandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 07:57 AM   #7
wfowade
Founding Member

I think this is a partial explaination. NASCAR gets lots of following because there are lots of races. With a potential of ONE race in the states, it is hard to develop any kind of following. With races in 9 different european locales, it is not more than a weekend trip for most fans. You can't even get through security at Newark in that amount of time. Set up three to five races in the states, centered around some other motorcycle events-Biketoberfest or Bikeweek in the east (Barbermotorsports new facility in Birmingham Alabama?), something in New England, Road America and of course in California and you would generate some real intrest. Without multiple events domestically motogp is going to be a mostly enthusaist print media event here in the US.
wfowade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 08:00 AM   #8
dardas
Founding Member

Didn't they already try this approach with the metric system and soccer? "Everyone in the world is doing it!" And I still cant' find an average joe here in the USA that knows how many yards in a mile.

I think there has to be a shift in public opinion before this change occurs. After all, we're in a country that holds world championships without inviting the rest fo the world.
dardas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 08:24 AM   #9
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

In order for GP to work in the U.S., it has to be better to watch on TV. I will enjoy it either way, but 3 things need to happen in order for it to be palatable for mass American audiences:

#1. Different cameras and/or better satellite links----the washed-out picture during a GP race gives me the impression that I'm watching something happening from behind the former iron curtain.

#2. American commentators. Americans want to hear their commentary by men with southern drawls, preferably.

#3. Ban those d%$# air horns that people blow in the stands. They scream "foreign". They are almost as annoying as those cowbells constantly jangling during a downhill ski race.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 08:38 AM   #10
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Ditto on 1 and 2. As for number 3, I could tolerate foreign commentators if they didn't sound like someone was twisting their nuts every time something exciting happened. Also, they need to learn how to pronounce "Ducati" and "Kawasaki". I want to slap them every time I hear them say it.