Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-28-2003, 11:44 AM   #21
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: John Hopkins,The US,and Moto GP

I could give a damn who is in the crowd, or who is riding. If they are foreigners, great, if they're Americans, that's even better. I just want decent picture quality and announcers who know how to pronounce the names of the manufacturers and who can describe what's going on in the race without having to shout in as loud and high-pitched a voice as they can into the mike, that's all.

Also, I meant pronouncing them with a "short A". And no, we're not the only ones who pronounce it that way. I've talked to Japanese and Italian people, and they pronounce it the "American" (correct) way.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2003, 12:06 PM   #22
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Corser: MotoGP Will Crumble Under Its Own Weight

Wow, I never realized what a pompous ass Troy is. Does he really think that the manufacturers won't directly apply the technology from GP racing to streetbikes? Why did they switch to four-strokes? Just for fun? So the manufacturers could spend millions of dollars to develop the next generation of trick racebikes that no one cared about? I guess he missed the CBR600RR launch this year, where Honda debuted a bike that directly borrowed technology from GP racing. He'll really be shocked next year when Honda and Yamaha (maybe others too) roll out new 1000s with GP-based technology on them.

Also, Honda won't win everything this year. They didn't win everything last year, and it's only going to get tougher for them as more manufacturers step up to the plate. Here's a newsflash for you Troy- the manufacturer with the deepest pockets doesn't always win. Ducati repeatedly kicked Honda's ass in World Superbike even when Honda purpose-built two different bikes to beat them. MotoGP can very easily turn out the same way.

His Aprilia analogy is bogus. Ducati sold 916s, 996s, and 998s because of the styling, the performance level, and the fact that they were Ducatis. He seems to have a massively inflated sense of his own self-worth when it comes to bike sales. Race results, for most people, is not and will never be the primary reason they buy a bike. If that were true, then the manufacturer who wins the title would sell all their bikes while the other manufacturers wouldn't sell any that year. Race results just gives the customer something to talk about at the local Sunday hangout, that's all.

Old 03-28-2003, 12:10 PM   #23
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

You wouldn't even need to hold all the races in the states. You could hold two in the Southern States and one in Canada. I seem to remember a GP race in Canada about 5 years ago.
Old 03-28-2003, 01:13 PM   #24
coyn586
Founding Member

I like the commentators for MotoGP.. Its not like the ones here during the AMA events that cause me to fall asleep with their boring drones!

The MotoGP guys, and WSB usually.. get all excited.. and help keep you excited about whats going on as well..

coyn586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 02:05 PM   #25
ssmiley
Founding Member

Default On another Tagent!

While no one would suggest that the AMA adopt the homogeneous nature of NASCAR racing, they should take a page from the NASCAR Playbook and significantly increase the number of races. Above and beyond its suitability for TV, NASCAR has taken off in large part because of its REGULARITY – one big 38 week miniseries.

With the majority of the costs already sunk (bike development, track infrastructure, team salary, etc.) and the potentiality of a big TV payoff down the road, it seems like a no-brainer to step up to a 16-18 race Formula One type schedule. Indeed for your dirt lovers the AMA has already gotten on board with 16 SX and 12 MX events.

ssmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 04:47 PM   #26
sarnali
Founding Member

Nothing to it, go fast, turn left, go fast turn left, go fast turn left repeat a bunch of times, then climb out of your HP restricted car, thank God, mom, and a few dozen sponsors, kiss the Hooter girl, and load up for next week.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 08:48 PM   #27
stormcloud
Founding Member

reply was to ABE's post mainly.

And who gives a #%$^ how comentators pronounce it.
stormcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 11:41 PM   #28
Jexter
Founding Member

Without looking anything up, I believe there's just over 1700 yards in a mile Maybe I'm wrong, it's NEVER come up since the day I memorized it like 7 years ago.

Jexter
Jexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 03:23 AM   #29
layback
Founding Member

This kid is great, To devote his own time and money towards promoting Moto GP racing here in the US is the best thing I heard in a while. I just hope he can be sucessful at it. I just can't understand why motorcycle motorsports is so popular everywhere in the world except in the US. So I ask, what can we do to help?
layback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 03:31 AM   #30
layback
Founding Member

Did you ever watch some? Nascar has some very good racing, It is not a parade like F1 is. and not just one driver wins all the races.

I myself still like motorcycle racing much better, but Nascar is better then watching a F1 parade.
layback is offline   Reply With Quote