Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   John Hopkins,The US,and Moto GP (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/1735-john-hopkins-us-moto-gp.html)

captainwhoopass 03-28-2003 07:41 AM

Re: John Hopkins,The US,and Moto GP

"I hope it goes well, but what what the american commmonweal like in his/her motorsports is embodied by NASCAR."

Pathetic, isn't it? I never understood the appeal of watching NASCRAP. Can someone explain it to me?

grubz916 03-28-2003 08:05 AM

I agree. However, for MotoGP to become successful here will take time. NASCAR did not become the success it is overnight. How many investors are willing to back a series that may very well go nowhere here due to limited interest.

Being the optimist, I think that if it is properly promoted it stands a good chance here. I see no reason why Daytona couldn't host a round during Bikeweek. I think Dave Edwards for CW made this point in his column some time ago and one of the obstacles was the attitude of the France family to european motorsport. Maybe, maybe not, anyway I digress. I'd love to see the best of the best return here again. Go get'em Hopkins.

This has little to do with bikes, but i'd also love to see the World rally champ. make a few stops here. Pikes peak, Maine, anywhere.

rsheidler 03-28-2003 09:26 AM

You guys make some good points. The issue is complex and includes cultural as well as economic factors. Some of the key issues as I see it include:

1) US sports infrastructure (news media etc) is ball (or puck) focused. Any other competitive sports are generally viewed as sideshows. This includes all motorsports (including, until recently, NASCAR), skiing, bicycling, track and field, tournament fishing, skeet shooting etc.

2) Competition with major team sports that have natural constituencies. For example, the pro teams in or near your city, college teams from your region or where you attended.

3) For some reason, in the US, roadracing, on 2 wheels or 4, has not had much appeal across socioeconomic lines. Oval track racing -- NASCAR, modifieds, flat track etc, as well as drag racing, all have strong blue collar appeal, while roadracing has been more associated with the elite, wine-drinking, brie-eating effete segment of society.

4) As mentioned, having only one round locally (when we DID have any at all), in a country as large as ours, limits exposure. Most European fans I know will attend at least 2-3 rounds per season. Most American fans would not be able to attend one even if it were to be held, due to the distances.

5) Except for possibly one or two of the newest tracks, US tracks do not meet FIM standards. Many riders would refuse to ride at Daytona, for example.

6) Lack of charismatic US talent in the series. This is where I have the most optimism, because that is very different this year compared to the recent past. KRJR is a talented rider and was World Champion, but he is not that likable and is not the best public face for the sport. Riders like Rossi make much better press. Hopper has possibilities, especially if he can get some good finishes and acheive a higher profile. Colin Edwards is always a good interview, and Nicky Hayden is a PR agents wet dream. If these guys can get some good results, and thus get a little air time or print space in the general media, the profile of the sport could be dramatically improved.

BTW, I also would love to see the WRC circuit make a couple of US stops. Aside from motorcycle road racing, that is now my favorite spectator sport.

Regards

Bob

DangerStu 03-28-2003 10:17 AM

So how are they going to avoid the confusion of races that turn left and RIGHT ????

More power to Him, I wasn't to big of a fan until last year but he stuck at it and proved me wrong, I know theres not the hype around him like there is with Nicky but I think he is just as good...

rsheidler 03-28-2003 10:32 AM

I agree with you about #2. Even after living in Europe for 5 years, where all the English narration I heard on TV was British English, I never got past being annoyed with the accents of their sports announcers -- didn't matter what sport. I didn't have any problem listening to Financial Times business reports, or newscasts or anything other than sports. Even the sports news was OK, it is only the actual play-by-play, where they start getting excited, that makes me wanna kick them in the balls hard so they stop talking funny.

Fair or not, I think this would put off most casual American fans.

nokneedragin 03-28-2003 10:59 AM

I have to admit that last year I was one of those saying that he was going to get his a$$ handed to him, but what a rookie season. Held his own on older equipment learning new tracks, dealing with the pressure. Hell he even seems to be a likable guy ( in what i've read). He probably has as much talent as Nicky and a season in the circus allready.

john 03-28-2003 11:20 AM

They run chainsaws with the blades removed........that sound better then the airhorns???

And also, you forget that in europe, you can ride scooters much sooner then you can drive, for cheap. That is what starts the 2 wheel background for most. I think that is the single most important reason why they follow 2 wheel motorsports more.....because of the vast number who ride.

Also, one thing that i think might help is the trend of MX riders doing the Motard/Roadrace thing. I think this will poerhaps draw some fans from the HUGE MX following to other forms of 2wheel racing.

stormcloud 03-28-2003 11:28 AM

For $@#^% sake, it's an international series!

If you want USA riders, USA type crowds and USA accents, watch USA events!

There is a world outside the USA!

Not everyone want to be like you. (Thank Christ)

PS, Americans are the only ones who say "Ducarti".

Motogp needs to be good racing, not just another American 'conquest'.

Maybe you should send the troops in to Motogp headquarters and set them 'right' - then you might be happy.

Sheesh!

stormcloud 03-28-2003 11:33 AM

Good luck to Hopper.

As he says, the series is incredibly popular aroundt the world. If Americans look at it for what it is, they should enjoy it too.

He might be up against a cultural thing though, unless an American is winning or dominating.

Hopper won huge respect last year. He used his head and showed great skill, especially for such a young bloke on very difficult machinery.

Hope the Suzuki can get on the pace.

KPaulCook 03-28-2003 11:42 AM

Corser: MotoGP Will Crumble Under Its Own Weight

Interesting article click here