Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-24-2003, 03:47 PM   #1
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: New Aerostich / RiderWearHouse Catalog

Sean, maybe it was my experiences in the drug addled 60's or my advancing decrepitude, but I failed to find any mention of the armored jeans at the aerostich site. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-24-2003, 03:53 PM   #2
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

I just went to the website and found them using the "PRODUCT SEARCH" link on the left column. After searching for "JEANS" it came back with three different manufacturers, including the new Arborwear jeans.
Old 03-24-2003, 04:05 PM   #3
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

You're right Sean. I tried armored jeans and came up with zilch though. Thanks VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 07:40 PM   #4
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

I have had recent experience with the armoured Aerostich riding suit (with electical heating). My first crosscountry ride was 27 years ago(CA to FL). I thought I had riding comfort figured out, (layered clothing with waterproofing) I was wrong. This suit is a revelation in comfort and perceived protection. I think that any motorcyclist, in my opiion, would be well served to take a good look at their products.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 01:43 AM   #5
jstrain
Founding Member

Anyone have alot of experience with Aerostitch? Particularly going down in one? I need to get some better riding gear, but riding in leather in the summer can be unbearable.

I was looking into Joe Rocket, but I have read some poor opinions of it. How well does Aerostitch do protectionwise and comfortablewise?

Jeremy
jstrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 02:40 AM   #6
Lowrez
Founding Member

I can tell you this about the 'stich. It holds up better than the cylinder heads of a BMW GS during a 50mph asphalt slide. They can even repair most damage, but if anything gets blood soaked, they won't touch it.

Given the option, I'd rather go down in leather. I'd never wear a full leather suit other than at the track, though, so the 'stich is the next best thing.
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 02:52 AM   #7
pbx
Founding Member

Default Re: Experience

I've had a two-piece Roadcrafter for about four years now and I love it. I have the regular hard-shell pads in shoulders, elbows, and knees, plus the optional back and hip pads.

I've had two low-speed incidents in it (once catching a rut in dirt at about 25mph; once lowsiding on rainy oily pavement at about 15mph). Both times my body was totally protected and I had to look hard for scuffs on the suit. The armor did its job well too. The cheaper suits often have much crappier, simple closed-cell foam armor.

Re comfort, I added the optional "ellipse" insert which allows more forward lean -- essential for sportbike riders. In general I think you have better mobility in a 'stich than in most leathers. (See the picture of me on the cover of the new catalog push-starting my old Nighthawk S

A 'stich doesn't offer as much abrasion protection as leathers. However, if you are more likely to wear the suit than your leathers, then you have a net increase in safety.

The suit also isn't particularly great in hot weather. It does have pit zips and a back vent (for better convection), but above 85 or 90 degrees it gets kind of toasty in there. I think perforated leathers may be more comfortable in the heat.

Overall, though, I think the Roadcrafter is the best suit you can buy. The only thing I would change if I were doing it over again is to get a one-piece, for the sake of convenience and reduced bulk.
pbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 03:36 AM   #8
Alaskan18724
Founding Member

I yield to no one in my admiration of Aerostitch products, but it comes to me with some surprise that the announcement of a new catalog is today's lead in MO.
Alaskan18724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 04:21 AM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

They've been mentally devastated by the censure from Honda(tm) and it'll take them a while to recover their normal poise.......NOT.
Old 03-25-2003, 04:24 AM   #10
shaneking
Founding Member

Last June my wife and I got hit by a car and sent flying off of the bike. We were doing about 20 mph. She had leathers and I had my 'stich. I flew further than her and had some severe bruising, internal bleeding and a strained back. No road rash but a little minor suit rash. Most if not all of my damage can from the impact as the car literally hit my body from the side and I am reasonable sure that the suit kept my leg from getting broken. the suit itself has a minor tear on the back where I slid to a stop. My wife ended up with a broken collar bone and nerve damage to her knee, which the suit probably would have prevented.

I love my suit. I don't find it outrageously hot in the summer (and I am in DC). Sure, jeans and a t-shirt would not be as warm, but it wouldn't be as smart. I just never consider not wearing the appropriate gear. I just wear shorts and a t-shirt enderneath and open the vents.

There is no doubt that the suit is expensive. I think it is worth the price. "Buy the best and cry once" I once read and subscribe to that when it comes to motorcycle gear.

Shane
shaneking is offline   Reply With Quote