Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-25-2003, 04:39 AM   #11
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Default Re: New Aerostich / RiderWearHouse Catalog

In addition to my previous comments I would like to add that the suit appears very well made. It seems like it will last for years of heavy use. The suit was also obviously designed by someone that rides (maybe ALOT). It's versatility and utility took awhile to get used to. In my limited contact with the manufacturer I have found them to be positive and professional. GREAT SUIT.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-25-2003, 05:48 AM   #12
BigJimmy
Registered Member

Default Aerostich prices

For those of you who lust after the mighty roadcrafter but can't stomach the price, good used specimens can be had from Ebay. I managed to buy a 2-pc roadcrafter along with a pair of Alpinestars boots and some tourmaster winter gloves for $240 shipped. CAVEAT: the suit was about 5 years old and a little faded on the jacket portion. Oh, and it's red with blue trim (think Superman colors). Ironically, the faded red matches my bike better than the original color.</p>

Still, there are good deals out there. Now that I have mine, I would pay full price for another one like it -- it really is that comfortable.</p>

Jim
Old 03-25-2003, 07:42 AM   #13
Haird
Founding Member

I've been down twice in an Aerostich Darien, once in a low-speed lowside on oil and once being rear-ended at a stoplight. I was thrown about 15 feet when rear-ended, landing on my right arm and shoulder. I didn't even have a bruise. I sprained my ankle in the lowside, but the parts of me that skidded along the pavement protected by the suit were completely unharmed. The suit has a slight scuff mark from the slide, which was about 10 feet. The suit is comfortable in the cold down to about 20 degrees F with just the liner and is good up to about 85 degrees with the vents open. It is virtually waterproof, even after two hours riding in a torrential downpour, though it needs to be treated when washed to retain water repelence. The only thng I don't like about the suit is the collar. It sticks up into my neck when closed and makes it difficult to turn my head. Other than that, the suit has held up very well over the four years I have owned it.
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 09:09 AM   #14
jzeluff
Founding Member

I've been wearing an Aerostitch Darien for about a year now, and have had one low-side slide in it at low MPH. The suit didn't suffer any damage from the impact, but it did suffer a stain from spilled fuel about 1 inch wide and 6 inches long. The fuel being on the fabric doesn't seem to have changed it's ability to protect, however. I live in Tucson, Arizona, and have already pulled my perforated Vanson out of the closet for the summer-the Darien and pants are way too warm to wear around here in May!

Jon
jzeluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 10:50 AM   #15
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Has anyone had any experience with the Fieldsheer Highlander suit? It seems to offer most of the things that the Aerostich does, for less money, but I personally have no experience with Fieldsheer products. Are they decent?
Old 03-25-2003, 01:08 PM   #16
obandoj
Founding Member

The only experience I have with Aerostich is with the unobtainium electric vest, and it is a negative one, it just simply does not get hot enough to offer comfort when the temperature goes below 50 degrees F.

I used to have an Eclipse vest that got very warm and comfortable, and after reading about how great the Aerostich was, sold it to buy the unobtainium. Bad move!

When I contacted Aerostich about my problems, I was told that their product is designed not ot be as warm as the competition and that I was going to have to live with it.

Needless to say I'm not a very happy camper, or a warm one for that matter, and will never buy another product from them. Beware what you read in magazines, they get all of the freebies from the manufacturers, so their opinion is biased, with the exception of Motorcycle Consumer News who do not accept paid ads.

Aerostich you can kiss my *&*%.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 04:50 PM   #17
Mooner
Founding Member

I have to admit that I don't have experience with electric vests (I have considered getting one from time to time and I consider your experience before purchase) I do, however, have experience with cold weather riding. 50 degrees is a pretty warm temperature to be cold in, even with or without an electric vest. Just curious if you were wearing anything besides the vest. BTW I live in Minnesota, 50 is balmy here this time of year.

-Andy
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 05:46 PM   #18
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

I've used the suit with electric vest (t-shirt and sweatpants underneath) 80 MPH as low as 34F for hours. I was completely comfortable. The addition of PolarMax or similiar thermals would I think make for increased comfort for you.
Old 03-25-2003, 06:31 PM   #19
grover750
Founding Member

Default Ebay...

During my last semester of college, as I was fixing up the $950 1978 GL1000 I had bought for a post graduation June trip from MN to Alaska (via ferry) and back via highway (through Arizona) with my wife, I learned about Aerostich. I started checking ebay, and within 2 weeks I found two Roadcrafter auctions from the same guy in California. He was my size, and his wife was my wife's size. I got his phone number, and pursuaded him to sell us the two suits for $800. Best $800 I ever spent. Combined with our Arais, we were wearing more money than we were riding.

The suits were awesome, except for the stretch across Nevada's Highway 50, when it was 99 F. A totally soaked t-shirt dried out in about 20 miles. Toasty. Incredible storage and quality build.
grover750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 01:49 AM   #20
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

I think their electric vest is designed for use with their suit. In combination the results, in my opinion, are fantastic.