Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-24-2003, 08:00 AM   #1
Pain_Seraphiin
Founding Member

Default Re: VFR800 vs R1100R

I"m sorry, have not ridden the BMW. I do own 2002 VFR800 with ABS (god bless america or was that japan?)

I really enjoy the bike. My previous bike was a VTR1000. Sweet but unconfortable.

The VFR handles better, more comfortable, has a nice sounding engine and I got's the hard luggage.

Drawback. My friends luv the bike but if you do any two-up riding, I will criticize the engine.

Normally for one-up, very nice and peppy. But for two-up I feel the 4 banger is weak. You have to rev the engine up hills and..... when you hit 7000 rpm the engine howls and revs even crazier. Not very relaxing and that is what two-up is all about, comfort. Crap, the VTR's v-twin would have been a far better engine for this bike.

But, for one-up the engine sounds nice and it DOES scoot fairly well.

If you get this bike get the ABS and the Givi Hard Luggage.

Even though I've *****ed about this bike just now, I am very happy with it. I just don't take my wife riding anymore. I leave her home barefoot and pregnant and with a chastity built on. Ahhhh, now I feel good.
Pain_Seraphiin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-24-2003, 08:45 AM   #2
RonXX
Founding Member

I would get the VFR. It's newer, just as well built, more powerful, looks better, handles better, and narrower. It also doesn't have that crappy 'VTEC' nonsense, plus it does have that cool gear driven cam noise. BMW's are nice, but enjoy a sportier bike while your body is young enough.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 08:51 AM   #3
davoduc
Founding Member

I used to own a '00 800 and I really loved the bike. It seemed a little heavy, but I was used to a CBR 600. I put a t-bros pipe on and it had a terrific growl and made really good power (~ 100 rwhp). Good stock seat and comfortable ergos for a sporty bike. If you really like speed and sport riding, the VFR is definately faster than a boxer and is also a good commuter.

I've ridden an S, GS, RT, and RS but not the R. All of the boxers seem to make about the same power although the newest are 1150 engines and make a little more. They are generally heavier and the seating position is much more upright, if that matters to you. The R is supposed to be pretty good in the right hands, but it lacks the clearance and power of a VFR 800.

It really depends on what you want most. They both are great bikes, but the insurance will be a lot less on the BMW.
davoduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 08:54 AM   #4
SRMark
Founding Member

I've owned neither but ridden both. I liked the VFR as a sporty, yet comfortable, ride. I love the looks of the thing too. The motor is a marvel, just get someone else to work on it.

But, on longer hauls, I really liked the BMW. I'm 6- 1, short legged and longer trunked and the BMW offered me a very neutral riding position. I really enjoy working on BMWs. (Well, not enjoy as much as don't hate.) Looks-wise, you really have to like BMW's inner beauty because your buddies are gonna rib the hell out of you. I like the look but not many find it a thing of beauty. When all is said and done, I don't see a bad decision in either of them.

PS. That BMW will corner better than you will.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 09:40 AM   #5
Captain_1
Founding Member

I owned a '99 VFR for about a year but promptly sold it after demoing (and purchasing) a new R1100S. IMHO, the BMW simply has more character and a rock-solid feel. The ABS is also reassuring when you suddenly get caught in a hale storm. Check out the new R1150R, BMW currently has great deals going.
Captain_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 09:49 AM   #6
wheat
Founding Member

I owned a 98 VFR800 and a 95 R1100R before that.

I gave up the R11 because I like having feeling in my hands while riding. I did like the way the R11 handled, though.

The VFR was a pleasure. Kept it for 3 years. Moved on when naked sport bikes came along (the FZ-1).

I would say the R11 is more comfy than the VFR, though the VFR is not bad at all. The engine in the VFR is I would say the nicest I have ever owned. Would love to see a more powerful version of that motor.
wheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 12:15 PM   #7
Pain_Seraphiin
Founding Member

Ahhhh, I now see that he was shopping for a used 2000 VFR.

I think the V-Tec is only nonsense for two-up riding. For hot rodding I do feel it give a little extra-oomph at the high end as did an article from a British on-line magazine a read.

But in comparisons between the 2002 and 2001 VFR's , they both had pro and cons. So you can't go wrong with either.
Pain_Seraphiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 12:37 PM   #8
RonXX
Founding Member

Yeah, both VFR's are great all-around bikes. I have read many places (including MO) that the new VTEC is only to appease the EPA by reducing pollutants, and that the power of the 2002 is identical to the 2001. I kind of liked the cam drive noise, but I admit I haven't heard the new engine as it passes 7000rpm. I have taken a serious look at both machines. Too much money for me though.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 12:53 PM   #9
nweaver
Founding Member

I ride a VFR, Y2k. I've demoed an R1150R.

The BMW is definatly more convenient. For commuting, that is a big advantage with the bags and the shaft drive. However, I think you would probably be drier on the VFR in the rain (fairing on legs, decent windsceen).

The boxer buzz is annoying, the VFR has a little buzz above 5k RPM, the BMW a little more.

However, does the BMW have ABS? ABS is really nice (lock the front wheel once and you will understand).

Also, how hot does it get where you are? The VFR tends to get pretty hot in stop & go traffic (silly side mounted radiators).

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 12:54 PM   #10
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Second on the great deals...

BMW is running .9% on 2002, 1.9% on 2003 financing, for 48 or 60 months, with first 3 payments paid by BMW!

Thats very low financing, especially given the long term of the loans.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote