Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Crash Study Action (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/1721-crash-study-action.html)

sarnali 03-20-2003 04:04 AM

Re: Crash Study Action

What do we do if, after an in-depth study, the government decides to enact limits like the 100hp limit in Germany? or no performance oriented fuel or exhaust mods. like " off-road use only" pipes on touring bikes, or how about flourescent orange vests and arm chaps? In-depth studies tend to give the WRONG people access to information to use against us. Be ready for mandatory full face helmets, mandatory insurance, reflector vests, HP limits, no more shorts-n-flip flops, no more butt-floss panties and chaps, neon fringe arm chaps only.( tuff to look like a rebel without a clause, when you dressed like a highway flagger.) no more movie stars running into curbs or off the side of straight roads into the desert. it's safety first from now on!

Grappelli 03-20-2003 04:13 AM

"with motorcycle fatalities increasing 50% in the last 5 years" - There has been a huge increase in motorcyle use in the last 5 years. Much greater than 50%. Is this going to be similar to the British situation where the 37% increase is being bereated, ignoring the over 1000% increase in scooter use.

waepoint 03-20-2003 04:19 AM

While such a study could be a mixed blessing, one advantage is that many single-bike accidents (caused by rider stupidity or hooliganism) are unlikely to go unreported, and are less likely to show up as statistics. On the other hand, every biker who ever got run off the road by an SUV damn well better be filing a report. The numbers should balance out in our favor.

Still, my sense is that it would be better to leave well enough alone. I prefer my bikes without mandatory airbags and training wheels.

seruzawa 03-20-2003 04:25 AM

Before we gat all exercised over yet another Federal exercise in futility, remember that we will all be in nursing homes by the time the results come out.

electraglider_1997 03-20-2003 04:46 AM

I hated 55 mph speed limits and got a lot of tickets but it does save gas and now that 75 mph is the norm the death toll has gone up in kind. I'll bet that these speed limits will stay up even though many more car accidents result in deaths. Non-bikers will never allow their rights to be infringed. We will never see helmets on car drivers because the law makers would also be directly impacted since all of them drive drive cars. If all of them rode bikes I'm sure their would be no helmet laws. The bottom line is this, we as bikers make up only 1% of the population so we will always be looked at as a nut fringe. Unless we can get some large benefactors to give money to our opponents campaign coffers to agree with our views then we will always be on the brown end of the stick.

banda 03-20-2003 05:18 AM

Fortunately I already have a set of flourescent orange arm chaps.

jmeyn 03-20-2003 05:24 AM

So?

In-depth studies tend to give the WRONG people access to information to use against us.

In the absence of information, the WRONG people are free to say anything they want. They are certainly doing so. Are you saying that this information should only be available to the RIGHT people? Sorry. That's impossible.

banda 03-20-2003 05:25 AM

Your death rate stats are crap. Probably got them from local news media. It's not your fault.

When max speed limits went up on ite interstates, highway deaths went up on those interstates... but total motor vehicle fatality rates went down. Huh? Why is that?

It's because when the speed limits were lower, more people were getting killed on non-interstate roads, which have less safety features. Setting the speed limit on an interstate is a bit like marketing. Raising the limit gets more people off rural roads an onto the freeway. Sure, when more people are using the freeway, more people die there... but less motorists die in total.

seruzawa 03-20-2003 05:32 AM

I beg to differ. On the western Interstates the accident rates went down after the speed limits were raised to 75. Fatigue was the main factor in these accidents. The higher speed limits allow you to get from Salt Lake to Denver in 7 hours rather than closer to 10 hours for example. The Interstsates are so empty that collisions are less a factor than falling asleep, or getting hypnotized droning along at 55 on I-80. (Another problem is the rednecks who entertain themselves by cruising between Green River and Rock Springs in Wyoming with rubber dildos attached to their noses, but I digress.)

Fuel consumption is also not so straightforward as it seems. For example my Subaru gets as good mileage at 75-80 as it does 55-65. Sometimes better. I actually tested this on some long trips through Idaho and got 27MPG running at 65 but closer to 30mpg running at 75.

Weird, huh? Probably has something to do with power curves and efficiency. My 81 KZ750 did a similar thing, getting 45MPG whether I rode at 65 or 75. Putting on a larger countershaft sprocket to lower the revs at speed had not one bit of effect on the mileage.

captainwhoopass 03-20-2003 06:03 AM

"one advantage is that many single-bike accidents (caused by rider stupidity or hooliganism) are unlikely to go unreported, and are less likely to show up as statistics. On the other hand, every biker who ever got run off the road by an SUV damn well better be filing a report."

That right there is the biggest flaw in this type of report. Anyone who has worked in the service department of a dealer, and who has to deal with crashed bikes on a regular basis, will tell you that, contrary to what these studies say, the biggest cause of crashes is not stupid car/truck/SUV drivers, poor road conditions, or poor weather, but simple ole rider error. Education and training will do more to improve safety than anything else.