Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-20-2003, 11:48 AM   #31
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Crash Study Action

Hmm, I think you're on to something there. If they are smart and want to have an accurate study, they'll probably do something like to desribe.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2003, 11:55 AM   #32
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Hmmm... they ban a form of transportation that uses almost no energy, but urge auto manufacturers to come up with more efficient cars. They even encourage electric cars which will, in the long run, require an enormous increase in the number of evil, environmentally unfriendly power plants. Seems logical to me!
Old 03-20-2003, 11:56 AM   #33
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Let's make that "you describe".
Old 03-20-2003, 01:58 PM   #34
KPaulCook
Banned

Default KPaul Flip Flop AMA needs to play here.

I used support mandatory helmet laws etc. Although I suggest everyone wear a helmet. But thanks to the debate on this forum I changed my mind on any government intervention. I am with longride and others on this one. I would rather have the AMA do a study. Have the AMA send out a a card wether AMA members would want an increase in dues to fund a yearly study. That way the results could stay in the community if you know what I mean. The AMA could use the results to propose appropriate voluntary recommendations and carefully worded legislation. ..
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 02:26 PM   #35
KPaulCook
Banned

I agree with you. I used be a fan of government mandatory helmet laws. But MO folks changed my mind. Any help from the govenment comes with strings.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 02:43 PM   #36
rsheidler
Founding Member

San Francisco also has banned them, at least from city sidewalks. Not sure of their legal status on the streets.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 05:58 PM   #37
gooseman_1
Founding Member

"Death tolls on I80 in Nebraska have gone up since they went to 75 mph."

I suspect there are other factors at work here that caused the increase in fatalities. (ie. more vehicles, off-highway crashes, distractions, ect)

For the numbers to mean anything it must be based on: The number of highway-only miles driven divided by the number of cars driving that distance. This gives you the average chance of dying per highway-mile driven.

This is the only meaningful way to interpret highway safety or to compare one set of circumstances with another. I believe if you use this formula, instead of the 'total number of deaths per year' garbage, you'll find the highway-fatality *percentage* has decreased.

I do know that in the US, fatalities per highway-mile driven have constantly decreased since the 50s. Obviously, that includes the 55MPH time frame. So 55 Saves Lives IS crap. That's why I say speed kills is also crap.
gooseman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 06:08 PM   #38
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I think the most stringent Federal standards should apply to the butt floss. At the very least, anyone attempting to wear the floss should have a camera trained to their ass for 30 minutes and then be forced to watch the video prior to entering the public domain.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 07:57 PM   #39
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Dolphins Driving Cars!

That's what's doing it! All these dolphins and other aquatic sea mammals driving cars! I seen it my self.

Last spring, I was driving down I-5 when I saw a 16-foot killer whale driving a Buick Roadmaster. He was doing about 60, talking on a cell phone, and weaving all over. His flippers kept slipping off the steering wheel.

And I was almost side-swiped by a harp seal in a Chevy Suburban. She was speeding down Van Ness and turned around in her seat to regurgitate some partially digested fish to her cubs. Stupid harp seals!

That's what the problem is. Everybody should listen to ME, because I know what's wrong. Whoever disagrees is an idiot. And for God's sake, let's not study the problem! What if I'm wrong and I have to modify my behavior to make the roads safer for other people? That would suck!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 02:33 AM   #40
pplassm
Founding Member

Default No insurance in VA?

I live in VA, and the uninsured fee is $400/year. Cheaper to buy insurance.