Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-20-2003, 08:18 AM   #21
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Crash Study Action

Yes, I agree, the study will still be valid. However, it is my (perhaps incorrect) belief that most motorcycle crashes are preventable on some level. Those riders who are involved in serious/fatal accidents, especially those involved in single rider crashes, most likely have had one or more of these minor unreported crashes in their past. If the people performing this study really want to improve safety, they should develop some way to look at these unreported crashes. I wouldn't be surprised to find a correlation between single-rider serious/fatal crashes and the minor unreported crashes.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2003, 08:38 AM   #22
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Half of the things you mentioned are already laws.

Right now, you can't legally modify a bike's exhaust system if it exceeds the federal noise regulations, which virtually all performance enhancements do, since the manufacturers try to get as much performance as they can out of the bikes while still adhering to the law.

You also are already required to have insurance on a streetbike if you want to operate it on public roads.

Most states already have helmet laws of some type, and that trend will only increase in the future, regardless of safety studies.

Regarding horsepower limits, it's unlikely that a study could prove that more horsepower leads to more accidents, since there is no database that I've ever heard of that defines the horsepower levels for every motorcycle made today. More likely, it would show that bikes with greater engine displacements are represented disproportionately in accidents. And engine displacement in the future will most likely be limited more by the manufacturer's abilities to cope with future emissions regulations than by other legislation.

And, (this is my personal opinion and is not meant as an attack on anyone) if they ban butt floss panties and chaps for motorcycle riders, I'm all for it, because the only ones who wear them are 50 year old women with serious "hail damage" who have no business wearing gear like that in the first place.
Old 03-20-2003, 08:42 AM   #23
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Amen......am I the only one here who says that government shouldn't be spending money on this at all? Is it their business what we drive, and how often we crash? Once they find out that information, can anybody do anything to change it anyway? Just how many motorcyclists will actually care about or read this report? My personal guess is <1%.

Furthermore, let us stipulate that the number of motorcycle fatalities has gone up 50% in five years......the anecdotal evidence for a vastly increased number of new or former riders taking up the activity again is large. Any increase in the number of motorcycles on the road should produce an increase in the number of deaths. This isn't rocket science.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 09:09 AM   #24
wackston
Founding Member

There is no 100hp limit in Germany. The manufacturers for while observed one "voluntarily" but dropped it again when the political nonsense blew over.
wackston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 09:15 AM   #25
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Not all states require insurance on motorcycles, florida and virginia are two that I know of (unless Va. has change there laws recently).

Also it appears that states with helmet laws are repealing them ( florida , and I believe mississippi, prob. some others)

As for modifications, my understanding is that no modification are allowed on cars or bikes to prevent bypassing the federally mandated pollution controls.

Also the butt floss should not be outlawed, not all are on sacks of cottage cheese, and we need more of the better looking ones to dress down. Maybe a fine for butt cheeks hanging over the seat to far

nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 09:20 AM   #26
sarnali
Founding Member

to come up with any kind of proof you'd have to find out how many people were killed or injured falling off horses or buggy's,when they were the predominant form of transport. modern cars and bikes, because of advances in tire, brake and handling technology are perfectly safe at higher speeds, whats unsafe is speed in excess of conditions such as rain or curves and blind corners, and disparities in speed on the same road for example; 9 out of 10 cars going 75, and one going 55. I-90 or I-70 and others I'm sure cross miles and miles of fairly flat wide areas with almost unlimited visibility, going 55 on roads like that is pointless, in urban areas the speed is and should be kept around 60, but in the west at least, there's alot of wide open spaces where the speed can safely be increased to 75 or 80.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 09:20 AM   #27
nokneedragin
Founding Member

speed doesn't kill people, Newton kills people!
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 10:00 AM   #28
rsheidler
Founding Member

I share your view that most motorcycle crashes are avoidable, and are attributable, at least in part, to rider error (I include neglecting to forsee that a car might fail to yield right-of-way as "rider error"), and I strongly suspect that you are right that the same factors and conditions that contribute to the unreported crashes also are often involved in more serious/fatal crashes.

Maybe one way to obtain meaningful data on these crashes would be to survey selected bike shops, and follow up with the riders (off the record) to evaluate the circumstances of the crashes. Might be easier if the survey were done through a university, the AMA or some such organization, where riders would be confident that their names etc would not be disclosed to DMV etc.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 10:23 AM   #29
chargerrt
Founding Member

I don't know how things go in the US, and maybe I shouldn't but in, but it seems every time some elected official decides to do something (at least here in Canada) we get the shaft big-time. My advise is watch out for politicians that attempt complex things to them like speaking and thinking. Kind of sounds like alot of car drivers hey?
chargerrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 10:36 AM   #30
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

You bunch need to get a life. I wasn't taking a position that we should lower speed limits. Heck, I been riding motorcycles since I was 14 and I'm now 47. I ride as a matter of daily transportation barring ice on the rodes. All I was saying in my original lament was that as long as the majority rules we as bikers will lose our most basic freedoms. The majority drive cars and fear two wheelers. If any of you has issue with this then bugger off in advance.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote