Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-20-2003, 07:15 AM   #11
gooseman_1
Founding Member

Default Re: Crash Study Action

Wrong! If that were true the autobann would be worse than US highways. In fact, they have exactly half the fatalities per car-mile as we do. I realize that there are othwer factor at work there, but still.

The safest group of drivers (ie. least accidents)are those who drive 10-15 MPH over the speed limit. The worst group is the slowest 5%

Speed kills is crap. It's driver inattention, at any speed, that kills.
gooseman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2003, 07:49 AM   #12
DataDan
Founding Member

Did Hurt's 1981 study result in onerous legislation? Helmet laws, arguably. However, while some states have enacted them, others have repealed them.

Mandatory training, possibly. Hurt found that trained riders were less likely to crash than untrained riders. It may be a stretch to conclude that since riders who chose to get some instruction were safer (back when training wasn't merely optional but hard to come by), those who are required to get it will be safer, too. But I don't sense a backlash against training requirements, at least for minors.

As for motorcycles themselves, performance advancements since 1980 have produced extraordinary machines better than even the GP bikes of 20 years ago.
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 08:12 AM   #13
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

We will, however, be paying for that exercise in futility long before we reach our dotage. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 08:12 AM   #14
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Death tolls on I80 in Nebraska have gone up since they went to 75 mph. It takes longer to stop at 75 then anything slower and that is physics. Speed kills because if everyone was walking there would be no car wrecks. Not to many people on sidewalks get killed when they bump into each other.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 08:28 AM   #15
rsheidler
Founding Member

Good point. My unscientific observation is that a large percentage of motorcycle accidents are not reported, and that these are generally caused by rider error.

Single bike accidents without serious injury (requiring emergency medical attention) are often not reported to the police or to one's insurance company. Especially true if the bike can be ridden away.

Of course this may also be true to some extent with auto accident statistics, although I suspect the relative frequency of single car accidents is lower than for bikes.

With or without this data being included, however, the study can still be valid. If safety is the issue, it is not that big a concern if accidents without injury (or only very minor injuries) are underreported.

Bob

rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 08:38 AM   #16
seruzawa
The Toad

Well then by your logic we should ban all privately owned motor vehilces.

By all means. We should go back to pre-industrial society. Back when it was safer. Before novocaine and penicillin. Back when being 50 was considered elderly. Great idea!

Old 03-20-2003, 08:42 AM   #17
waepoint
Founding Member

But now that the infernal Segway is here, even pedestrians are no longer safe. Expect severe shin bruises to skyrocket 500%, which will spawn a government study that mandates shin bumpers on all Segways, 16 hours of rider training, and shin liability coverage of at least $15,000.
waepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 08:46 AM   #18
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Two local cities here in Illinois banned the Segway before it was in production. Nothing like our "city planners" looking out for our safety.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:05 AM   #19
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

"Speed kills"

Wrong. No person in history has ever died from attaining high speeds. They only died when the laws of physics demanded that they stop faster than their body could handle.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:13 AM   #20
rsheidler
Founding Member

Recall a couple of weeks ago we had the report here of how Italy was raising its highway speed limits to over 90 to improve safety?

Re fuel ecomomy, it is interesting that in my old Datsun 260Z, the best gas mileage I ever got (over 30mpg for 2 consecutive tanks) was during a high speed tour of western Colorado and Eastern Utah -- extended periods well over 100 mph. At speeds closer to the then 55mph limit, I usually got around 25mpg.

I had a similar experience a couple of years ago in my Audi A4 1.8. I was returning from SoCal to Park City on I-15. Just past Cedar City, some guy blew by me in his Lexus, so I figured I'd let him run interferrance with the Utah Highway Patrol. Let him get 1/4 - 1/2 mile ahead and then matched his speed, while keeping my ears open for my radar detector buzzer. For the next approximately 100 miles, our speed was rarely under 100, and several times I hit the electronic speed limiter (130, per Road & Track, about 135 by the speedo). That tank of gas, I actually got better mileage than on the previous one, where the cruise control had been set at 80.

I am not suggesting that faster speeds are necessarily safer or more economical, but the generalization that lower ones are safer and save gas are not always valid either.

Your point about rural western interstates is an important one. In many cases, the only limitation to what is a safe speed is the vehicle itself. Christ, I recall in the early 60's, the car magazine testers routinely would test their exotics (Ferraris etc) in the Nevada desert at 180 mph, perfectly legally, and probably very safe. As long as the vehicle is designed for stability at those speeds and tires are made to handle it, there is very little risk.

Even 75 mph limits on these roads are ridiculously low.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote