Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   New Ducati Monster Headed for US? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/1691-new-ducati-monster-headed-for-us.html)

F451 03-09-2003 06:26 AM

Re: New Ducati Monster Headed for US?

The Triumph Speed Triple has always been my favorite naked motorcycle, but this new Monster S4R has change my mind. The choice of frame colors is great. I would purchase one if it made it to the States.

Jakh77 03-09-2003 08:41 AM

I thought Ducati's were supposed to be sexy. This thing is fnckin ugly! All that crap hanging off the engine, that exhaust, even what should be cool looking, the single sided swing arm is ugly. It looks like it was tacked together. I think the current monster 1000 looks infinitely better, and definitely will keep it's good looks longer. The one thing going for it though is that engine is probably a lot stronger. Call me crazy but I'd still take the old air cooled one.

crazybike_37 03-09-2003 09:22 AM

Uh, yeah. You crazy.

sarnali 03-09-2003 10:10 AM

you're a loony all right, but I think the 1000ie looks better too, this one looks too busy, too much plumbing and what-not, nice colors though. I'd take the black Speed Triple over this.

john 03-09-2003 11:14 AM

I agree.....i think it all because of the colors. I think the cans should be CF, thatwill help out greatly, anything they could black outin the motor will help, and man!! they need to paint or polish that swingarm. It looks like it is welded out of fence poles. :(

Change that and i might be seen on it ;)

Badwinger 03-09-2003 11:32 AM

Take the "old air cooled one" and you'd be left far behind. Beauty is in function and capability as much as in form, and in function and capability, the SR4 has it in abundance. Yeah, u b crazy.

allbikesbiker 03-09-2003 12:17 PM

too expensive, I'm sure, althought they conveniently don't mention that.

My guess would be around 16K.

isn't 423 lbs and 113 hp a little heavy to brag about beating everything on and off the track?

but, it's still a Ducati!!

The_Aerodynamic_Head 03-09-2003 03:20 PM

cheap flame bait.

My new Buell Lightning would kick thing's a$$.

Yeah!

--I don't really know what that means, I just felt compelled to say it. I think I was possessed.

Also, c'mon: this is NOT a track bike, and at teh speeds of which the motor is capable, naked bikes start getting to be a lot less fun.

The M800 or M1000DS would be my picks, as I like the more classic, simple look of the air-cooleds too.

Alaskan18724 03-09-2003 04:09 PM

Not sure about this one. I've always liked the looks of the Monsters, and I'm pretty sure by the time this one gets here they will have cleaned up the pipefitters-style welds on the swingarm. But, dang it, Ducati has yet to make one of these things (or anything, now that I think of it) to fit a guy who's 5'16" and, well, significantly north of 200 pounds. So I'll probably have to go look around for something longer from seat to peg. Not sure what that would be in this category, though.

VFR1273 03-09-2003 07:08 PM

I saw the thing and fell in love. I'll take mine in yellow...and priced about $13500.