Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-04-2003, 03:13 PM   #11
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default December Tests

I double checked and GoShow was 3rd fastest in the December tire tests -- BBoz first on the RC51, then Mladin on the 1000 gixxer, then Gobert.

Of course, the gixxer was in early stages of development then and may be faster now. Also the bored out 750 Kwackers were not ready then so EBoz tested at 750cc, not the 770 he will use for the race.

rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2003, 03:36 PM   #12
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Kawasaki ZX-8R ????

That was an excellent read. Maybe the Kawa might be the better choice overall. Could an 800 be the new class of bike that becomes a production bike?
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 03:55 PM   #13
stormcloud
Founding Member

Default A lesson for the world ??

If they're getting 200HP from the Suzuki, and they are directly competitive with the twins, maybe the WSB officials should pay the USA a visit and take back the rule book.....

After the weekend at Valencia, it seems BSB and AMA will be more exciting to watch unless something happens.......
stormcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 03:57 PM   #14
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Kawasaki ZX-8R ????

If Flammini (head of WSB) had pulled his head out of his ass and followed AMA lead, it could have happened. Unfortunately, it looks like the 800cc rule is gonna be just an AMA rule, and possibly a transitional one at that.

I have heard that AMA may extend the 1000 4 rules (which allow fewer internal modifications than the 750s and Twins get) to all sized/configurations for 2004. Probably a step in the right direction, but it would make the 800cc Kwackers lame ducks (pun intended).

I think the biggest differences in the 1000 rules vs the 750/V-Twin rules are:

Crankshafts cannot be lightned

Stock size and material for valves (ie no Ti)

Stock cam lift (can change duration and timing)

Bring on the racing

Bob

Old 03-04-2003, 04:04 PM   #15
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: A lesson for the world ??

There are a whole bunch of folks making that point on every race-oriented BBS I have seem since the Sunday race.

Personally, I am a little skeptical about the 200 hp number, as reports are that the 990cc Suzuki MotoGP bike is only getting that. Maybe 200 at the crank, but not rear wheel.

Do you follow BSB? Curious as to what their rules are compared to AMA.

Bob

Old 03-05-2003, 01:01 AM   #16
stormcloud
Founding Member

Default Re: A lesson for the world ??

Lets hope they (and they know who they are....) are listening!

Haven't followed BSB as closely for a while. They also have heaps of inline fours - R!, Blade etc. They are smart enough to adjust the rules to give different bikes a chance.

In OZ, virtually the whole field is 1000cc - twins are only competitive if they're top line WSB spec -- and it's simply too expensive. The mods for 1000cc I-4's are limited compared to the WSB spec bikes (750's, and the twins) and this keeps the cost WAY down, but they have as much power, more torque, equal chassis- and many people can afford to build one.

BTW - a top racer recently lapped Phillip Island on a stock 02 GSXR1000 in under 1:40...
stormcloud is offline   Reply With Quote