Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 02-25-2003, 06:19 AM   #1
BykerGeek
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle industry fixation.

I agree. There is probably a big market for race replica bikes but it seems sportbike = racebike w/ lights has become the norm. Unfortunately, sales have backed this trend up. Comfy sport oriented bikes (Nakeds, UJMs etc) have typically been slow sellers w/o a lot of marketing support. As far as cruisers, I guess the attitude is that the owner (most of them) will mod it to suit their own taste anyway so with only a few exceptions, they are made to be totally general.
BykerGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-25-2003, 06:20 AM   #2
blalor
Founding Member

Climate control? CLIMATE CONTROL?! Give me a freaking break! You want climate control, go find yourself a Toyota Corolla. Leave the rest of us motorcyclists to alternately freeze and sweat our butts off like God intended.
blalor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 06:29 AM   #3
rvfrules
Founding Member

The irony of it is that cruise control would be welcomed most by the race replica crowd.
rvfrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 06:34 AM   #4
red916
Founding Member

This would be a stupid debate that would go nowhere. Climate control? This is obviously a joke.
red916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 06:45 AM   #5
tumbler
Founding Member

Why?
tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 06:50 AM   #6
jfiore
Registered Member

Just what does runner00 think he wants? Air-conditioning, cruise control, GPS navigation, tip-over prevention, lean-angle control, extra wheels for stability...oops, that's a car! There are motorcycles with attempts at "climate control", and with cruise control - just check out the GoldWing or the K1200LT, for a couple. Touring motorcycles have used a variety of rider oriented conveniences for quite a few years. I believe that all (or most) of the advancement in the past 40 years or so in the areas of frame technology, suspension technology, and even engine technology came about because of race-oriented development. Where else but racing can a new frame design or engine format be tested to its limits of performance and reliability, without elevating consumer costs to astronomical levels? Beyond the mechanical design development of motorcycles, what are we left with for "innovations designed to make motorcycling more enjoyable"? Application of technology for technologies sake doesn't necessarily make motorcycling more enjoyable. As an example, what if some imaginative engineer designed a gyroscopic ride control system for a motorcycle that allowed the operator (rider?) to sit in a reclining seat, steering the vehicle with a joystick, while the control system regulated lean angle in turns, controlled braking and speed by sensing the road conditions and surrounding traffic, and provided him with a visual display of a moving map, vehicle condition, etc. Would that be more enjoyable than balancing your own throttle against your lean angle, dialing in just the right amount of front and rear brake as you turn into a corner apex, then cranking on the throttle for an exhilarating exit? I doubt it. Safer, maybe, but not more enjoyable.
jfiore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 06:54 AM   #7
jfiore
Registered Member

Where do you think you're going to be able to use cruise control? Unless you're out in the middle of nowhere, there's usually too much traffic for cruise control to be effective. Even in a car, it winds up being more of a pain in the butt than a convenience, due to traffic.
jfiore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 07:00 AM   #8
Intersport
Founding Member

I totally disagree with Runner00, and agree with Jfiore. The motorcycle industry sells what sells, not what one guy might want. They sell what they do after much market research and experimentation. Let's face it, if cruise control were offered on a GSXR1000, wouldn't it suddenly become a *****-bike? Motorcycles are about experiencing the climate around you, NOT changing it.
Intersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 07:11 AM   #9
LocutusDeBorg
Founding Member

How about just some friggin' self canceling turn signals? My '86 FJ1200 has 'em and they work great, my '03 FJR1300 does not.

Go figure.
LocutusDeBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 07:22 AM   #10
Mooner
Founding Member

To a certain extent, I agree. Continuing focus on race applications generates bikes that are barely fit for real world riding. The loss of Kawi's ZX6R from last year for either a much inferior, or much more race specific bike is a good example. Now I agree that race bikes are cool as hell, but for a one bike income they are not practical. As long as we, the buying public is able to get our hands on high quality performance motorcycles without sacrificing real world rideability I will be happy. BTW, I really hope mentioning the whole climate control thing is meant as a joke.

-Andy
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote