Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 02-26-2003, 06:40 PM   #71
nustar1
Registered Member

Default Re: Motorcycle industry fixation.

Why is it that 500cc bikes are concidered small? And 250s are for wimps.

If the Manufacturers want to have a renaisance like in the 70's and early 80's they need to PROMOTE regular bikes. For regular people. I.E. "You meet the nicest people on a Honda"

Magazines need to appreciate what they call boring bikes and show the good side of Buell Blasts and Honda Nighthawk 250s. Customizing, riding, repairing, enjoying. Integrating them into normal life.

Yet in the USA riding is seen as a hobby and not a form of transportation. It is a niche market full of niche markets. Why do you think there is only one major American Owned Manufacturer here? I believe that it is because that is all the market will support.

nustar1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2003, 07:35 AM   #72
sforbes
Registered Member

It's a business - the inductry produces what consumers want to buy, ergo, it does have the consumer in mind. It may not have you personally in mind, but it is definitely tuned to bike buyers as group. I read in Cycle World that Kawasaki isn't planning to upgrade the Concours because the company doesn't think it can move 6,000 units. That's just 120 bikes per state in the U.S.!

Finally, you want climate control? Buy a cage!
sforbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 06:19 PM   #73
danch
Founding Member

"The Harley hasn't really changed for 80 years."

Except for self-canceling turn signals, hydraulic lifters, kevlar belt, balance shafts, kick-ass stereos, and a bunch of other creature comforts. Sure, they haven't changed anything I personally pay attention to in a bike (except by buying Buell, and there is that VRod motor, admitedly not cutting edge, but damn it's a change!). They've stacked a lot of the same 'luxury' items onto the old platform that Honda and BMW put into their turing bikes. They've changed the motor and cycle parts mostly to improve relyability and quality of ride. They've changed plenty, just not where it won't help them sell. And why should they?
danch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 06:21 PM   #74
danch
Founding Member

I wouldn't call it the classic Cruiser vs. Sportbike clash - a lot of cruiser types have a minimalist thing of their own going on (from the chopper thing). More of a tourer vs. sportbike clash, I guess. Or maybe Beemer vs. everybody else on the planet.
danch is offline   Reply With Quote