Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 02-25-2003, 09:40 AM   #41
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Motorcycle industry fixation.

Just my old sweet self, as usual.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-25-2003, 09:42 AM   #42
Pacer
Founding Member

jfiore talkes about better frames, engines, etc. I think he hit the nail on the head. I won't say that there is no market for climate control and stuff, but you ride for the lean angles, and acceleration, and wind through the hair, I mean helmet. I want the majority of my R&D spent on performance. The Ford Mustang has all the comforts you could want, but still shares the basic platform with a 70's Grenada (I don't know if that is the right spelling). When it comes to bikes I am glad it is performance first. Again, I am not against all the other stuff, just happy it is performance first.
Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 10:24 AM   #43
donzi
Founding Member

There has never been a better time to buy a motorcycle. Period. The variety of bikes available today is staggering. If you want comfort and practicality there are dozens of bikes to choose from and if you want a race bike with lights there are equally as many. And if you want something in between well they got that also.

As far as creature comforts and ammenities go there are tons available. You can buy bikes with heated grips, seats, cruise conrtol, electric windshields etc. Or you can buy bikes without any of these things and then add some if want through after market products. How hard is it to plug in a heated vest or add cruise control?

donzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 10:59 AM   #44
Betamax
Founding Member

the Motorcycle press are the worst offenders.

They rave about torture racks with high hp/weight ratios and eschew practical features like ABS brakes because they add 14 lbs to the bike.

They review great handling bikes and call them 'boring' because they don't wheelie uncontrollably when coming out of corners.

For example, a recent magazine review criticized the new Yamaha R1 for being "too liveable", as though that's a flaw.

Most motorcyclists, unlike most motorcycle journalists, aren't so jaded that unpredictable wheelies becomes a cherished feature.

And most motorcyclists, unlike most motorcycle journalists, have to pay for their bikes and so they want some practial value for their dollar.
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 11:03 AM   #45
Betamax
Founding Member

Default people buy what they're told to buy

>

That's not how modern marketing works. Marketers create a demand where there is none and sustain it when practical experience argues otherwise.

If you think otherwise, look around your home and ask yourself how much of that crap you really need.
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 11:14 AM   #46
BykerGeek
Founding Member

Harley has included self cancelling turn signals for years. None of my other bikes have had them though.
BykerGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 11:30 AM   #47
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

I think you're right 'bout the guy retiring!.... My '84 RZ has 'em, but my '91 TZR does not...

hmm.

-James
jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 11:41 AM   #48
rpt
Registered Member

Default Re: The issue I suppose is this . . .

they might say vfr (any), gsxf, thunderace/cat,zzr, for instance....
rpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 12:00 PM   #49
vfrroom
Founding Member

This seems like a joke and if not, very far from the truth. There is such a wide variety of motorcycles out there beyond the sportbike "race replicas" to choose from. Everything from a Goldwing with a CD/Changer to a performance Scooter.

Manufacturers are making what people are asking for and buying in most cases. If you are looking for cruise control, get the throttlemeister. If you want Climate control, get a better jacket. You don't ride a motorcycle for these luxury items.

I didn't know we were in competition with the automotive industry. If we lag behind then I would hate to see that GSXR 1000 vs Corvette Z1 competition when the manufactures get on the ball.

Please.
vfrroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 12:04 PM   #50
rpt
Registered Member

Default true. so very true.

my 2nd and actual bike, for this last year has been a 96 vfr. I bought it with 54 K km (34K m) and it now with 72K km (45k m) and it stills surprise me.

of course I would love to take it to a track-day, but I like it most the 20k km per year without any problem.

true I would like to have abs, and stuff but I will, some day...
rpt is offline   Reply With Quote