Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 02-21-2003, 01:59 AM   #1
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: Tularis Tidbit...

Thanks. I'll check it out when I'm down there.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-21-2003, 02:43 AM   #2
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default You skipped this one

Tularis seems to have corrected a huge boo-boo. They're producing 200 bhp/litre!
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 03:53 AM   #3
veefer69
Founding Member

Maybe just maybe Polaris (Victory) will take a few cue's from what Tul-aris has done. Maybe? One can hope...
veefer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 05:17 AM   #4
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: You skipped this one

Dunno if you read the article in the current (print) RoadRacing World, where Mark Hannas (as I recall) tested the Tul-aris with the earlier powerband and found it virtually impossible to ride at anything close to a race pace due to the unmanagable spike in power at around 7200 rpm. The new powerband, in addition to producing more power, looks like it should address that problem.

This is one of the most exciting project bikes I have ever seen. Actually built in the guys garage (by an actual rocket scientist). Engine development is clearly not his main area of expertise, and it would be really exciting to see what he could accomplish if he were to team up with an established engine builder so he could concentrate on chassis dynamics.

I read that Ducati tried to hire him to work on their GP project but he declined to focus on his Tul-aris project.

Regards

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 07:26 AM   #5
Troy_Smith
Founding Member

That would be nice but i dont think there's any way they could make that 2 stroke motor meet emissions requirements for street legal motorcycles. And with any other engine, it just wouldn't be the same.

It would be nice to see an american manufacturer make a truly competitive sporting motorcycle though. Speaking of that, were the cannondale mx bikes any good? i guess they drove cannondale under, not too surprisingly.
Troy_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 08:25 AM   #6
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: You skipped this one

"They're producing 200 bhp/litre!"

Good for them. Then they're not far off of the current crop of 600's.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:27 AM   #7
rsheidler
Founding Member

The thing is, Dr Tules' (sp?) area of expertise is chassis dynamics rather than engine development. Would be interesting to see him apply this expertise to a sporting 4-stroke.

He does have a prior association with Polaris -- I suspect that is how he chose the Polaris sled motor as the basis for the Tul-aris.

If Victory/Polaris WERE to introduce a sport-bike, I bet they would look to Dr Tules to play a big role.

We can all dream, anyway.

Bob
Old 02-21-2003, 09:49 AM   #8
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

I've never heard of the Tularis before, I'll try to follow it now. I continue to wish for an American bike basically along the lines of the ZRX, Speed Triple, Bandit, 919, FZ1. A company could build something like that and not need to fundamentally change it for 20+ years (kind of like Honda with the VFR). An all-arounder that is well built, "Sportie", reliable, reasonably priced (the Speed Triple is pushing that) and HAS a centerstand. Until that happens I'll be happy with my REX and the like.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 12:02 PM   #9
rsheidler
Founding Member

Just a bit more info on the Tul-aris from www.roadracingworld.com:

Unique Design Aspects Of Tul-aris Featured In Book About Motorcycle Design And Engineering

From an e-mail from Dr. Rob Tuluie:

The Tul-aris is featured repeatedly in the brand new motorcycle engineering book "Motorcycle Handling and Chassis Design" by Tony Foale. The book is a comprehensive review and an assessment of the current state of motorcycle design and development, investigating many interesting aspects of motorcycle engineering with sound physical reasoning. Several times throughout the book the unique aspects of the Tul-aris are described, including a discussion of the ground-breaking work using laboratory vehicle dynamics testing as well as virtual dynamic simulations for the design and development of the Tul-aris. The book considers the Tul-aris project a trend setter for the future of motorcycle design and development. More information on the new book is available at www.tonyfoale.com

In addition, the Tul-aris design and development process was presented at the 2000 SAE Motorsports conference, which is attended by many industry-leading engineers in the car and motorcycle racing world. The accompanying SAE paper describing this work is SAE 2000-01-3576, available at www.sae.org/servlets/index
Old 02-21-2003, 02:24 PM   #10
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Thanks for the info.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote