Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 02-20-2003, 05:12 AM   #1
SpongeBOB
Founding Member

Default Re: Kawa-zuki 4-stroke

language lesson;

Kawasaki means River (kawa) Bank (saki)

Suzuki means Bell (suzu) Tree (ki)

BTW,

Honda means Main (Hon) Rice field (da)

Yamaha means Mountain (Yama) Leaf (ha)

"Kawa-zuki" wouldn't be a correct combination.

should be more like Kawa-ki or Suzu-Saki
SpongeBOB is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-20-2003, 06:01 AM   #2
nbyers
Registered Member

And I thought you were just absorbent and yellow and porous. Dang, man, you can speak Japanese, too!

nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 06:53 AM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

By fully utilizing both partiesÂ’ combined resources, Suzuki and Kawasaki made it possible to co-develop new product in a short period. This is another milestone accomplished by both companies through their business alliance next to on-going mutual OEM products supply.

This is a very long-winded way of saying, "Our sales numbers really suck and we're trying desperately to remain competitive. Our chances look grim."

(Disclaimer: The following comment is not meant as any sort of chop or criticism of Yamaha.)

Which is too bad. Both Kawasaki and Suzuki each offer more models and choices than Yamaha. In fact, Yamaha's model line-up is somewhat slim compared to the other three Japanese manufacturers. A lot of them are variations of two bikes, the V-Star and the Road Star. Even Triumph has nearly as large a selection of streetbikes as Yamaha. And Yamaha's prices tend to be higher than Kawazukis. So, why does Yamaha dominate in sales so much? Their bikes aren't any better than the smaller two manufacturer's. Better surveying and marketting, probably.

Or maybe aliens are involved somehow.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:06 AM   #4
jaypuck
Founding Member

Default Re: spongebob

now you are stereotyping. not all sponges are yellow and not all of them have square pants.

if we could get rid of all these racial biases the world would be a better place.
jaypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 07:14 AM   #5
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

For a time the Japanese put Norton, BSA, Triumph, and many others out of business. It was just a matter of time before they put each other under. Instead of developing better bikes across the range, these two skimp on other types so they can redesign their 600's and 1000's AGAIN. If anybody wonders why Harley isn't making sportbikes, all they need to do is look at this unholy union and why it exists.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:16 AM   #6
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Regarding your analysis of Kawasaki and Suzuki, I've thought the exact same thing since they first announced their alliance. My uneducated guess is that in the future (long term, like 10 years or more from now) they will just do a "full merge" into one manufacturer.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:46 AM   #7
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I think much of it comes down to styling. IMO Kawi and Suzuk's sportbikes are great but totally bland in the styling department. Both companies cruisers are awful looking. (the Mean Streak is a step in the right direction save for the stupid name.)

Yamaha's sportbikes are virtual works of art, expecially the R-1. The Road Star is probably the nicest looking metric cruiser out there.

In my brief time in bikes sales, all the squids would roll up on totally customized R-1s and R-6s. They weren't really interested in anything else.

I sold a few GSXR750s to pure sportbike guys who were more interested in riding than customizing. Ninjas got very little action on the sales floor.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 07:58 AM   #8
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

I think your right seruzawa. It's definitely the aliens. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 08:31 AM   #9
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Actually we need the correct words for "We going broke". All that rinver and tree stuff doesn't apply.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:51 AM   #10
sarnali
Founding Member

Suzuki sportbikes sell pretty well up here, their cruisers are, I think butt-ug, same with Kawasaki; quite a few Ninja's, ton's of dirt bikes, not so many cruisers. I see more BMW's and Harley's than anything else.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote