Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 02-20-2003, 03:32 AM   #1
RonXX
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha's 2 Wheel Drive

I saw the same system on an R1 a few years ago. The report said that there was no problem with traction with about 20% of the power going to the front wheel. I don't think we will see any systems like this in production for several years at least. It needs to be tested extensively before any manufacturer could reliably use a hydraulic motor in a front wheel.

On a different note, you guys really should get rid of the 'talk some smack' and 'smack back' buttons. It was funny for the Biker Boyz article, but no more. Not every post here is to 'talk smack'.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-20-2003, 04:42 AM   #2
Anton_1
Founding Member

I saw the same stories about the R1 system a while back. Didn't seem to make sense on a street bike, the front tire is overworked in corners already and during straight line acceleration you get 100% weight transfer. Same might be said for a supercross bike, but for an enduro bike I think its great. Should come in useful in sandwashes and rockcrawling.
Anton_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 04:45 AM   #3
pbx
Founding Member

There's also a bike that has two-wheel drive and two-wheel STEERING! Not as polished as the Yamaha but very impressive for a one-man effort.

pbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 04:48 AM   #4
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Pretty cool but can it wheelie?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 05:22 AM   #5
red916
Founding Member

Smack, smack smack smack smack smack smack. Smack-smack, smack smack smack smack......smack; smack smack.

Smack smack smack - "Smack smack smack, smack smack smack." (smack smack smack!) Smack smack smack & smack.

Smack smack? Smack!

red916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 05:40 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Just because it doesn't make much sense for the street doesn't mean it won't sell. Look at all the track-biased Gixxers and Ducks you see on the street already.

Just look at all the AWD vehicles in SoCal.
Old 02-20-2003, 05:55 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

You may not be trying to talk smack, but rest assured, no matter what you say, no matter how polite or well-reasoned somebody is going to violently disagree. It's just the nature of the internet and its anonymity.
Old 02-20-2003, 05:57 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

So, put a front wheel drive on a ZRX1200 and then you can luridly slide both wheels out when you crank on the gas in the corners.

Simultaneous two-wheel burnouts!

Cool.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:08 AM   #9
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I violently disagree with what you just said.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:01 AM   #10
bikervince
Founding Member

You would be even cooler if you could wheelie on the FRONT wheel!!! And I'm not talkin' about a stoppie.

Actually there's a company that's been making 2WD bikes for a long time now, Rokon.

http://www.rokon.com/index.htm

The front wheel is driven via a chain which connects to some sort of bevel gear in the steering head which in turn is driven by a shaft that runs right through the middle of the gas tank.

I talked to an owner of one once and he said they can ride through practically anything. Looks sorta like one of those lawnmower-engined mini-bikes on steroids. Must be a blast to ride, though.

bikervince is offline   Reply With Quote