Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 09-05-2010, 10:29 AM   #1
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Thumbs down Thats 2 w/in a week?

Immediately following the tragic death of 13yr old Peter Lenz now it happens again. I don't even recall that many guys dying back when the bikes had no electronics what is going on?

Shoya Tomizawa passes away
Sunday, 05 September 2010

The Japanese rider tragically passed away today, Sunday 5th September, after being injured in a crash during the Moto2 race at Misano.

On Sunday 5th September during the Moto2 race at the Misano World Circuit, rider Shoya Tomizawa aged 19 suffered a serious crash and subsequent cranial, thoracic and abdominal trauma.

Given the seriousness of his condition - especially for the thoracic and abdominal trauma - Tomizawa was immediately treated at the Misano World Circuit medical centre and put under artificial respiration.

The rider was taken by ambulance to the Riccione hospital accompanied by two doctors - helicopter was not used in order to allow for the proper respiratory support to be administered. Despite various attempts to resuscitate him Shoya sadly succumbed to his injuries at 14.20.

Everybody involved in MotoGP extends its deepest condolences to Shoya’s family and friends at this tragic loss

Last edited by MOKE1K : 09-05-2010 at 10:32 AM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
MOKE1K
Registered Member

I think the class has to many entrants and should be scaled down. Its a pitty this has happened twice within one week. RIP Tomizawa and good speed!

Last edited by MOKE1K : 09-05-2010 at 10:43 AM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
Spongeworthy
Registered Member

I just finished MSF school, got my M license at 46 and convinced my wife and two daughters to let me buy a Ninja 650 on Tuesday. Really excited, I tuned in to the MotoGP and this was the first thing I saw. Needless to say, it has thrown some freezing cold water on the whole proceeding. I realize the risks these MotoGP riders take is extreme, but Jeez, it's tough not to think this was some kind of message! I join you in your deep condolences to Shoya's family and friends.
Spongeworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongeworthy View Post
I just finished MSF school, got my M license at 46 and convinced my wife and two daughters to let me buy a Ninja 650 on Tuesday. Really excited, I tuned in to the MotoGP and this was the first thing I saw. Needless to say, it has thrown some freezing cold water on the whole proceeding. I realize the risks these MotoGP riders take is extreme, but Jeez, it's tough not to think this was some kind of message! I join you in your deep condolences to Shoya's family and friends.
It's terrible, to be sure. But in all fairness; MotoGP and SBK racers face a higher-risk of injury if they fall off (due to the higher speeds), but are less-likely to be killed by another moving (or immobile) object than a typical street-rider (cars & trucks, trees, signposts, fire-hydrants, culverts, etc.).

It's Dangerous out there: You be careful. Ride your own Ride, and make decisions during your ride as if you were Invisible, because you essentially are.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:42 PM   #5
acecycleins
Founding Member

All I know about the kid I have read today. Seemed, like with Peter Lenz, the kid was a promising racer. Sad day.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:48 PM   #6
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Could be anybody at any time. Take all appropriate measures/training/precautions and then... pray. Understand the risks, fully, and be prepared to accept them.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:54 AM   #7
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

I can think of a lot worse ways to die. Like of old age.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:26 AM   #8
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

It's a tough sport. Look at how many have passed on doing what they love.

Motor racing is dangerous stuff. Just ask John Cobb, Jimmy Clark, Bill Vukovitch, Achille Varzi, Peter Collins, Ayrton Senna, D!ck Sieman, etc.etc.

I forget what some poet said about dying an early death, something about being "forever young".

To wax poetic there is no bigger thrill than to be on the start line when the gate drops, a few thousand horsepower unleashed, the thrill of it makes everything else pale in comparison. Only those who have done it know.

And I'm sure his last thoughts were "Damn, I hope the bike is OK."

That's what mine always were before the lights went out.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Fortunately for the Japanese they won't have to deal with an army of fascisti "do-gooders" demanding Congressional Commissions and saying that the parents need to be prosecuted.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:11 PM   #10
DataDan
Founding Member

It's worth noting how rare deaths have become in GP racing, thanks to improved circuits that ensure adequate runoff, so there's a lot of sliding and tumbling but no sudden deceleration.

But the hazard of other motorcycles can't be eliminated. And that was the common factor in Lenz and Tomizawa's deaths. Both took tremendous hits by other bikes as they lay helpless on the track.

RIP, Peter and Shoya.
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote