Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 02-15-2003, 12:51 PM   #1
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Helmets, and facial reconstruction surgery.

"I've done "get-off's" from motorcycles lots of times. I've been vaulted over cars at obscene speeds, and gone sliding from off-ramps and curves at speeds from near -crawls to knee -dragging testosterone -saturated displays of egomania. I've ridden in sand, rain, snow, and ice. I've fallen over at stoplight standstills like Arte Johnson on "Laugh-In," and I've been pitched from the bike in wild rodeo tank-slappers. Amazingly, none of these adventures have ever really hurt me. I've wrecked bikes, hit cars, and been hit by cars, and I've walked from the accidents pissed-off only because my leathers got scuffed up. I always wore a helmet, and I always walked away."

All I needed to read was the first paragraph. If the above describes you as a rider, please don't think for a minute that you can speed and crash like an idiot and simply "walk away" because you wear a helmet. My advice, is get off the bike before you end up dead or severely damaged, regardless of your protection level. Stupidity can triumph over a helmet any day. "Amazingly" this guy lived long enough to tell this story.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-15-2003, 12:51 PM   #2
DurangoKid
Founding Member

Dude, your story and that photo are gruesome!

Thank you for sharing. I will be the first to admit that I did not worn a helmet every single time that I rode a motorcycle in the past.

Fortunately for me, the two times that I have had motorcycle accidents I was wearing a helmet.

The first time, I went over the handlebars. My last image was of my motorcycle tumbling after me as I flew UPSIDE down ahead of it. My helmet actually cracked. My worst injuries were soreness and the worst case of poison ivy of my life.

Thank God I was wearing my helmet or I may not be telling this story.

I NEVER get on a motorcycle without a helmet today. This policy served me well a couple of months ago when the front end washed out on my Falco and down I went.

My last thought was 'OH $HIT." My shoulder was pile driven into the concrete only shortly followed by my head.

Here is a photo of the helmet:

http://www.geocities.com/cstarrett/helmet.html

I doubt I would still have an ear had I not been wearing it.

Remember kids, they don't call them accidents because they are planned. Wear your gear!
DurangoKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 02:12 PM   #3
runner00
Founding Member

Yes I agree you should wear a helmet 99 % of the time. But I have to be honest I can't wear a full face helmet . The new full face helmets with the front flip up ability are really interesting. I think these are going to be very popular in the near future. And I also think these guys with the bull ***** beanie helmets are as stupid as guys wearing shorts. You ain't cool dude your just as stupid as that short wearing jackass you see riding around....you got that bro....wise up.
runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 02:29 PM   #4
HighsideHarry
Founding Member

Uh.... dude, you might want to check out www.rotten.com and give a look at the rider who wasn't wearing his full-face helmet

You might just change your mind
HighsideHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 02:33 PM   #5
HighsideHarry
Founding Member

My fave is when I was riding up the ramp that led out of a public garage. I mean, what could happen leaving a garage?

Newly-installed "diversion" gate, that's what! Sucker flipped my bike as it came up, causing me to hit my helmet against the curb, and this was at a standstill!

You just never know.....
HighsideHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 03:18 PM   #6
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

No doubt........it sounds as if this guy should feel lucky that he's alive rather than complain about his slightly rearranged face.

Well, I haven't ridden in snow and ice, and I avoid rain and sand at all costs. Therefore I haven't been catapualted from the bike at obscene speeds in rodeo tank-slappers.

Oh, and I'm always very cautious when I'm riding over very smooth concrete, like the kind you find in parking and service garages for instance. Any brainless layman who's walked or ridden a bicycle in one should have learned that long ago. Cars park there. They leak stuff. Isn't this common knowledge?
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 03:35 PM   #7
RonXX
Founding Member

Sorry to take away from your argument, but the guy in that picture wasn't injured on a motorcycle. He was actually a construction worker who made the mistake of temporarily holding a blasting cap in his mouth. It went off, and that's what he ended up looking like. I agree that a full face helmet should be worn at all times though. As for the guy in this story: how fast do you need to ride in a parking garage. I don't think that if i sprinted and ran head first into a steel block i could do the damage he did. Stupid is as stupid does.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 04:03 PM   #8
sarnali
Founding Member

Pretty much what I thought, find another hobby. I've rode in snow, not on purpose though, as in "ride to work, starts snowing, ride home" not overly difficult as long as it's fresh, rain, fog, ditto, [I live in Tacoma fer chris' sakes] The key to all that is to ride according to your ability and the riding conditions, if you've fallen off in such varying conditions as this felleh, I'd say you're not cut out for motorcycling. The thing that really re-enforced helmets for me was a buddy of mine who got drunk, brushed a lane devider going about 10 mph, fell over and landed on his temple. He always was pretty useless, but at least he could ride, now he can barely walk, at least he has an excuse for being a wino 'cause he can't do much else.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 04:27 PM   #9
drthompson65
Founding Member

A helmet saved my life twice. Once on the street another time at the track. It's like the American Express card, don't ride without it!
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 05:02 PM   #10
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

By living long enough to have had this particular accident this gentleman has almost single handedly disproven Darwin's theory of evolution! The shame of it is that he didn't injure himself to the degree that he couldn't get back on a motorcycle, as it is, helmet or not, he will undoubtedly wind up killing himself. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote