Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 02-16-2003, 03:53 PM   #21
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default I THOUGHT ALL CAPS GUY WAS IN A BRAIN TANK

Apparently being in a brain tank was kinda boring.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2003, 04:47 PM   #22
CybeR1
Founding Member

Default Re: Helmets, and facial reconstruction surgery.

Yep, had an acco 6 weeks ago and face planted into a curb with the visor - scratched the visor so bad I couldnt see out at all so I would hate to think what it would have done to my face! Wrote a blade off last year - did a super man for 20mters and walked away with a massive chunch out of the side of the helpmet - no helmet, no brains!!!
CybeR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 05:24 PM   #23
gooseman_1
Founding Member

Default Good Skill is No Substitute for Good Judgement

"There are two types of motorcycle riders:

those who have fallen, and those who will fall."

This reminds me of a saying many (stupid) pilots use:

"There are two kinds of pilots: those who have landed gear-up, and those who will."

Granted, the chances of dropping a bike are way higher than landing gear-up, but they are both stupid sayings. Nearly all belly landings are from pilots 'forgetting' to put the gear down, not from mechanical failure. Besides the fact that it's NOT TRUE, since the vast majority of pilots flying retractable gear aircraft never land gear up. This is just something stupid pilots say to make themselves feel better about their own stupidity. I suspect the motorcycling saying is much the same.

On a side note, I noticed in that MRI that his brain seemed awfully small. Coincidence......... I think not.

$100,000 in medical bills - I wonder if HE had insurance?!

He lived, but maybe they should've just taken his organs anyway. He obviously wasn't using them very well.....

I can just imagine Mr. ALLCAPS take on this one!
gooseman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 08:30 PM   #24
ssmiley
Founding Member

Default Now let's hold on there Top Gun!

Most of the guys IÂ’ve known whoÂ’ve landed wheels up are high time commercial/instructor types caught up in some funky high traffic TCA, IFR approach, go-around situation. To a man they say "boy that was stupid"; but to generalizing them as "stupid" pilots, well thatÂ’s going a little overboard my friend.

Any who, itÂ’s a valid point you make - just because the odds say we will have an accident sometime, shouldnÂ’t keep us from being vigilant about our skills and safety equipment all the time.

ssmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 06:17 AM   #25
gooseman_1
Founding Member

Default Re: Now let's hold on there Top Gun!

"...high time commercial/instructor types caught up in some funky high traffic TCA, IFR approach, go-around situation."

This is often true. As an instrument/commercial/multi pilot of complex +high performance aircraft (in New england) I know this all to well. The stress/pilot workload in these conditions are very high.

Fortunately, methods of training have changed greatly to address these issues, and have been highly effective. In essence, we've learned from the mistakes of pilots who came before, even some good ones. Good post my friend.
Old 02-17-2003, 06:33 AM   #26
gooseman_1
Founding Member

Default Re: Good Skill is No Substitute for Good Judgement

"...you can't control every variable...Protective gear is how we deal with variables we can't control."

Agreed.

I always (yes, always) wear full aerostich with armoured boots +gloves, and a full face helmet. But I also support anothers' right to choose not to wear any of these.

I hope to never crash my bike at speed, but I also hope to mitigate injury in the event that 'variables beyond my control' do occur.

For both planes and bikes, training is your best hope to avoid accidents in the first place, but protective gear is your best hope should one actually occur.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:26 AM   #27
danch
Founding Member

Read the rest of it. I don't know if he was or wasn't responsible for the majority of his crashes, but the one that messed him up could happen to anybody, usually about the time you say "I'm not a wild man; what could happen here?"
danch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 10:11 AM   #28
ssmiley
Founding Member

Default Hey Goose!

On the other hand, I do know a guy who's gone in 5 times belly first. 5 TIMES. They call him "The Ace".

You can let "Stupid" fly free and often in his case.
ssmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 12:25 PM   #29
gooseman_1
Founding Member

Default Re: Hey Goose!

Don't let the new TSA (Transportation Security Administration) find out about this. They'll use him to justify their current ability to pull pilot's licences with no explanation or appeals process. Scary stuff.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:54 AM   #30
runner00
Founding Member

no thanks
runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote