Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Dyno results from the new 600s and Ducati 749s (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/1616-dyno-results-new-600s-ducati-749s.html)

Jimmm 02-13-2003 12:51 PM

An english comparison test from TWO

FYI

Two Wheels Only, a british rag, is out with a full comparison of all the bikes in ENGLISH (well the king's english, anyway). It is not on line, you have to buy it.

They rated the cbr first but some of their reasoning is weird. The dinged the GSR600 for being old but it was right up there with the CBR. He didn't like the Kawa handling and the R6 did seemed "changed enough" and it was down on midrange.

Except when you look at their charts the R6 beats the CBR. Something about the cbr being geared lower as well. MO, when you test these puppies can you give us rpm in gears? And what effect that has on the bike?

Anyone else read this test?

Jimmm 02-13-2003 12:53 PM

Re: An english comparison test from TWO

correction shoud read:

the R6 DIDN'T seem "changed enough"

Jim

Buzglyd 02-13-2003 01:08 PM

Re: Desmo valves

Usually it's the GPS, radar detector, about 6 extra lights, fourteen accessory plugs, satelitte dish, laptop computer, and every other electronic gadget ever made.

Instead of upgrading the performance you have to upgrade the charging system!

What kind of numbers does that baby put out on the dyno? It must have cost a small fortune to do all that.

The strangest thing about riding the RT is the huge flatspot right in the middle of the powerband. I guess some guys put intake tubes on from the GS which reduces the high end horsepower but moves it lower and helps eliminate the dip.

BMW4VWW 02-13-2003 02:18 PM

How much power does it make? I really don't know. I can tell you that it has no problem burying the needle past the 120 mph mark, which is all the stock speedo indicates. It also will pull the front wheel a couple of feet off the ground when I speed shift into third gear. It is tuned mostly for low and mid range power which is very linear and easy to use when cornering. It's also fairly light, when compared to the newer oil head twins, about 430 pounds without gas. VWW

BMW4VWW 02-13-2003 02:30 PM

As usual my mind was going faster than my limited typing ability. My post sould read- very little hp loss from compressing it's weak assist valve springs compared to compressing the stout valve springs needed to control the valves in the non desmo fours. VWW

dardas 02-13-2003 04:11 PM

Re: Dyno results from the new 600s and Ducati 749s

IF you want to read that Italian review in English, just use the translator at

www.google.com

The translation is a little off the mark, but you'll be able to get the general idea.

dnakase 02-13-2003 08:02 PM

Torque Baby! That's what pulls you.

Gota love those V-Twins.

Woody650 02-14-2003 11:02 AM

horsepower is *always* a function of torque and rpm.... Horsepower = Torque * RPM / 5252