Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 02-13-2003, 08:42 AM   #21
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Dyno results from the new 600s and Ducati 749s

LOL. I'm sure your buddies will be very impressed.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-13-2003, 08:43 AM   #22
john
Founding Member

Its mainly because it is a twin.

With a twin, much higher piston speeds are generated for a given RPM. And, after a point, HP is a function of torque and RPM. Although the twin gives better torque throughout the range, its limited ability to turn RPM's means that at the top, it is not capable of making comparable HP because it lacks the revs to do so.

The rules in sanctioniung race bodies realize this handicap, and so allow 750cc twins to run against 600cc 4's, just like 1000cc twins were running against 750cc 4's the last few years in AMA and WSBK superbike racing.

However, due to advances in technology, twins have gotten very advanced, and are able to carry much higher revs then they used to, negating some of the rpm losses, and also enough so that in Superbike racing, the 4's are now allowed to be 1000cc, th esame size of the twins.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:51 AM   #23
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Desmo valves

There's a whole lot of wallet loss when you need them adjusted too. I'm approaching 18,000 miles on my ST4.

Can I borrow some money?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 09:24 AM   #24
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Piston speed is the limiting factor for twins. Longer stroke = covering more distance in the same amount of time. That is still the limiting factor. If twins rev to 15 grand some day, the tech that allows that will have the 600's revving to 20 grand.
Old 02-13-2003, 10:21 AM   #25
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Buzglyd, get an old R 100 G/S BMW. I adjust the valves on mine for free, and it only takes about 20 minutes. Of course if you're used to looking a Ducati you may want to back up to the G/S slowly, and close your eyes when mounting it. After that ride and enjoy. Just don't look down. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 11:04 AM   #26
dwindhorst
Founding Member

Wasn't it the recent MCN test that found the Honda to be the only '03 middleweight to break into the 10s at the strip?
dwindhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 11:18 AM   #27
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I have a good friend who has a R1100RT. He does his valves and syncs his throttle bodies in his garage and reminds me of that when I'm taking my desmoquattro in for a wallet lightening.

He's a very practical kind of guy so the BMW suits him perfectly. I'm more impractical so I'm willing to trade a little wallet-lightening for the desmo sound effects and performance.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 11:30 AM   #28
nokneedragin
Founding Member

It's been my and my friends experience that the suzooks come out from the factory a little tepped, but open up with jets and good pipes. Maybe its there way tho get more money out of the parts department.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 11:54 AM   #29
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Who says that you have to be practical when you own a BMW? Mine has a spin balanced motor with a K&N filter, custom manifolds,34mm Mikuni flat slides,ported heads, tulip shaped valves with slimmer stems,titanium valve retainers,equalized combustion chambers, dual sparkplugs, Accel coils, and a Supertrapp two into one exhaust pipe. I've also added a Fox twin clicker shock and a CC products fork brace. Granted it's not as fast as your Ducati, but it sure is fun when a sport bike rider comes into the local watering hole at the top of a rather twisty mountain road wondering why he couldn't catch some fat old guy on an ugly looking dirt bike. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 12:21 PM   #30
rsheidler
Founding Member

In case anyone is convinced that BMWs can't go that fast, I suggest they check our the race results at Willow Springs. 2002 champ in the Middleweight BOTT class was Dave Campbell on a BMW (R1150RS, I believe). He dominated in a class mostly populated by race prepped Ducati 900SSs and Monsters, and Suzuki SV650s. Ok, he has a few ccs extra, but he also has pushrods and shaft drive!

I don't know any particulars about his bike, but would certainly be interested in learning more!

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote