Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 02-07-2003, 04:02 AM   #1
reggler
Founding Member

Default Re: Shot Down In Arkansas

I wear a helmet, I will always wear a helmet. Why? Because my mother didn't raise any stupid children.
reggler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-07-2003, 04:12 AM   #2
SRMark
Founding Member

First off, please understand that I am of the opinion that you have to be a fool to ride without a good helmet. Second, this country was founded on principles of freedom. Look at the cost of our freedom over the years. What does one smart bomb cost? Does the medical cost associated with helmetless riding freedom seem in any way out of line? It should be very hard to remove a freedom in this country and I'm glad that the folks in Arkansas are having such a hard time.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 04:20 AM   #3
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Much heat; No light

...the hospital lost about $1 million over six years on motorcyclists who are injured while not wearing helmets and can't pay their medical bills.

So?? Compared to what? How many are wearing helmets now compared to six years ago?

...statistics show that fatal accidents involving motorcycles haven't changed since the repeal of the state's mandatory helmet law in 1997.

Translation: Accidents that were fatal in 1997 were still fatal in 2003. Big news.

Again, how has helmet useage changed in 6 years? If it's increasing without the law you don't need the law; if it's decreasing then maybe you do.

What crummy reporting and legislation!
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 04:26 AM   #4
chariton
Registered Member

I only have thing to say! If I didn't wear a helmet, a full face helmet, I would not have a face. Simple as that! Riding a motorcycle and not wearing protective gear (not only helmet but jacket, jeans, gloves and boots) may be cool for some, even exciting ... But what price do you put on your body? How much is you face or yor leg or your back worth? After seeing the gravel go past, mere inches from my face, at 20mph I have made up my mind. Have you?
chariton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 05:01 AM   #5
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default When will legislators just stop legislating?

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."----------------Thomas Jefferson
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 05:06 AM   #6
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

"It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. We hold this prudent jealousy to be the first duty of citizens and one of the noblest characteristics of the late Revolution. The freemen of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise and entangled the question in precedents. They saw all the consequences in the principle, and they avoided the consequences by denying the principle. We revere this lesson too much ... to forget it."-----------James Madison
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 05:45 AM   #7
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Do you wear a helmet when you drive?
Old 02-07-2003, 05:49 AM   #8
bigjames
Premium Member

1) I disagree with helmet and seat belt laws

2) I disagree with Substance abuse laws (except for regulating and taxing the crap)

3) I Wear Seat Belts and Helmets, because they work

4) Have had friends killed by (or trapped and then died as a result) due to both

5) Have had friends killed by substance abuse, quit playing with it a long time ago.

6) Have had friends saved by both seat belts and helmets

7) Don't know a soul killed/hurt by smoking weed (other crap is a different story).

They just get really lazy while doing it, but ok after it wears off.

You can't legislate stupidty or morality. Every time it is tried it back fires! Eventually someone is going to go to court and sue the government because a state mandated helmet caused a severe neck injury or a state mandated seat belt trapped someone in a burning car. It will (may have alredy for all I know) happen and will end up costing a lot more than the alleged 'social burden' costs that exist now.

We all know that this group cannot discuss this subject without it turning into a freaking screaming match, so lets just all say out peice, logically and unemotionally and move on.

One more thing, regardless of what you worship, say a prayer for the folks going to Daytona. They are entering something more dangerous than the helmet law fight, the GREY ZONE. You want to start talking about 'social burden'. there is a good starting point.

And I am not even going to have top be censored....
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 06:12 AM   #9
Fugaziiv
Founding Member

"Dress for the crash, not for the ride."

The more I hear that, the more it makes sense.
Fugaziiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 06:38 AM   #10
rsheidler
Founding Member

Very well stated, bigjames. Pretty well mirrors my views.

I personally have not had any friends who died BECAUSE of wearing seatbelts or helmets, but I have had some who likely would have survived had they been doing so.

Cheers

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote