Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 02-08-2003, 01:37 PM   #71
gooseman_1
Founding Member

Default Re: Shot Down In Arkansas

There are myriad reasons why smoking on airplanes is dangerous and dumb.

Because the air in pressurized aircraft is heavily recycled, anyone greatly sensitive to smoke is in BIG trouble. These people (and everyone else) are unable to 'escape' to cleaner air. Never mind the annoyance it poses to non-smokers.

The ****pit (and pilots) shares that same air. The effects on one or both pilots who are highly sensitive creates extreme and unnecessary flight risks.

Smoke is VERY bad for flight instruments, which cost a fortune.

It would set off smoke detectors which are now is use.

It is also a fire hazard.

I'm a commercial pilot, and it astounds me that smoking was EVER allowed on aircraft. (It's a throwback to the 20s when commercial air travel first started. >Planes weren't pressurized< and the majority of people smoked).

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that lighters and matches are illegal carryon items per FAA regs.

In other environments I don't have a problem with smoking, especially when separate spaces/good ventilation is provided.

***People should be free to make choices that effect their own safety, provided they aren't endangering others in the process.***

I do enjoy a good cigar or pipe occasionally
gooseman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2003, 01:42 PM   #72
Crash
Founding Member

I enjoy "spirited" riding. I enjoy trackdays with my buds and we really enjoy "spirited" riding on scenic backroads and mountain passes, where there is little to no traffic. I have had my knee down at the race track and on a mountain road skirting along a guardrail. I have several times seen 170 mph on my speedo at the end of a front straight and on a deserted back road (and have been passed at that speed). I have brought up my front wheel at 50 mph and set it back down at (an indicated) 120 mph on a lonely country road (on the track I try to keep my front wheel on the ground accelerating as quickly as I can manage). My friends and I are not racers, nor are we the fastest and most skilled riders at the track. I wear full leathers, armor and a helmet. Does this mean I am safer than the guy cruising on his harley at or below the speed limit in a t-shirt, jeans and sunglasses??? I really don't think so. So I guess that makes me and my friends stupid too. And based on the riders that I know, the majority of people you see riding with full leathers and a helmet are right there with stupid me.
Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 03:24 PM   #73
seruzawa
The Toad

Agreed , but they didn't stop at airplanes did they?

One could argue that even getting up in the morning could endanger another's safety. Where do we stop? Video cameras in everyone's house? I guarantee you the safety nazis won't stop until we have just that. It might take another 30 years, but unless a line is drawn it will occur.
Old 02-08-2003, 03:31 PM   #74
seruzawa
The Toad

I'll bet I don't approve of most of the regulations. And I'm not going to get into anything as stupid as arguing the wisdom of traffic lights.

We're not talking about direct dangers here. We're talking about activities that someone thinks might cost him a buck and therefore believes he has the right to stick his nose in everyone else's business. So save the straw men for someone else.
Old 02-08-2003, 03:32 PM   #75
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Re: Mandatory Health Insurance for Helmetless Riders

Congrats 12er, I've been on Atkins now since Thanksgiving, with a small break for Christmas/New Years, and I'm down 35 lbs! What a great diet.

luvmyvfr
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 05:15 PM   #76
SuperBill
Founding Member

The words "motorcycle" and "safety" should never be used in the same sentence.

Once you make the decision to throw a leg over and head out on two wheels, everything else is just an insignificant matter of degree.

Sooner or later the nannies will figure this out and take the ultimate step to eliminate ALL motorcycle risks. It's up to us to fight them every step of the way, irrespective of our personal preferences in bikes, riding style, or riding gear.
SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 05:46 PM   #77
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: Mandatory Health Insurance for Helmetless Riders

Right on, its so tough to stay on though. That big juicey fork tender steak I had tonight was almost unbearable. Oh how I long for nonfat bark or carrot and celery sticks...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 09:15 PM   #78
crazybike_37
Founding Member

Default Where's Highway*****?

So where's that pissy little pencil pusher HWYman? Surely he's not gonna quit on us, or did his mom ground him from the computer? Probably just too busy jerking off to the official HD online catalog.
Old 02-08-2003, 09:26 PM   #79
TrackDaddy
Registered Member

You are a commercail pilot... but you don't know what the FAA regs are on lighters and matches?

It's also funny that you don't understand how the air supply system works on a commercail jet... half the air in the jet at any given time is newly introduced fresh air, pressurized by the engines and filtered before it is delivered to the cabin. In addition, the recirculated air is filtered at such a level that all smoke particles are removed (take a look at the Boeing web site, http://www.boeing.com/commercial/cab...mentfacts.html).

So can we get back to talking about bikes and bike issues. BTW, what airline do you fly for... I want to make sure I'm never on a plane you where you are pilot in command. I can just hear it now "where's that switch thingy to raise the landing wheel jobbers".
Old 02-09-2003, 04:32 AM   #80
sarnali
Founding Member

Thats not true, if a person drinks and get behind the wheel they become everyones problem, drunk drivers kill and injure innocent people everyday, if all they did was cream their own stupid asses I'd look at it as social darwinism at work, I agree adults should be free to make their own lifestyle and saftey equipment choices, but when it comes to drinking and riding or driving, then sorry, but no you don't have the right to threaten everyone else with your choices.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote