Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 02-07-2003, 12:31 PM   #31
Betamax
Founding Member

Default Re: Shot Down In Arkansas

There are degrees of risk.

BTW, being deliberately obtuse is not the same as presenting a valid argument.
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-07-2003, 12:34 PM   #32
12er
Founding Member

I fully agree that helmeted car drivers would save so many lives its unbeliveable. Try eating a cheeseburger with a full face lid on. Try yacking on the phone with a full face lid on.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 12:58 PM   #33
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Degrees of Risk

I think that is LongRide's point. Certainly, riding a motorcycle is riskier than driving in a car. Riding without a helmet is riskier than riding with one. Riding on the street while dragging your knee pucks is riskier than cruising down the interstate at or near the speed limit. Wheelies and stoppies are riskier than keeping your wheels on the ground. Trying to outrun the cops is riskier than pulling over and taking your lumps.

At some time or other, I have chosen to take each of these riskier choices (although the last time I so much as rode around the block without a helmet was about 20 years ago).

I chose to drag my knees and go as fast as I can on my Ducati (usually on a racetrack), while LongRide sometimes choses to cruise on his Harley sans helmet. Both of us know that there are risk involved in our choices. Who am I to say that his risk is stupid, while mine is not?

I wear a helmet when I ski. I am a very good skier, but also am aggressive and like to push my own limits. That means that I know I will crash, and crash hard, a certain percentage of the time. My teenaged daughter who skis nearly as aggressively, but who seldom crashes, refuses to wear a helmet because she says it interfers with her enjoyment of the experience. I don't find that to be the case, but I also do not force he to wear one. I expect her to learn to make her own assessment of what risks in life she is willing to take, and she does not learn that by having someone else make the decisions for her.

I don't personally find a downside to wearing a helmet (and full leathers or Aerostich) when I ride. I chose to avoid that risk, but willingly take on others. LongRide makes a different choice of what risks HE is willing to take.

Cheers

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 01:12 PM   #34
rsheidler
Founding Member

Now we are on to something!

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 01:13 PM   #35
sarnali
Founding Member

Name calling aside, If you recognize the fact that riding a motorcycle involves certain risks, and that equipment is available that is specificaly designed to counter those risks as much as possible while still allowing you to enjoy the sport, isn't it kind of foolish not to take advantage of the available technology? Its simplistic to say that you'd be safer not riding at all, if you feel that way then you can give it up, it's your choice, but if you chose to participate in a sport then it's only common sense to try and attend to the inhearant risks involved.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 01:24 PM   #36
arizonagerg
Founding Member

Default Re: Degrees of Risk

Most excellent post! Outstanding logic and reasoning. I, too, agree with being able to have "choice" in all matters of my personal safety decisions.

But.....Longride's comparing helmet use in cars vs bikes in not logical nor good reasoning IMHO. Two different animals.

arizonagerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 01:28 PM   #37
arizonagerg
Founding Member

Where do you get your information that head injuries are the #1 cause of driver deaths? I still think helmet use in cars would worsen back/spinal injuries, and cause more serious injury/death. This is just based on experience, however, not a factual study. Just my .02.
arizonagerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 01:30 PM   #38
Fugaziiv
Founding Member

are you implying that i don't wear gear?

because if i don't then alpinestars has alot of money that i want back.
Fugaziiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 01:41 PM   #39
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Degrees of Risk

Wow, somebody gets it! I use examples and you explain it. I have explained it in your terms many times before. Post this where everyone can see it.
Old 02-07-2003, 01:49 PM   #40
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Yes, there are valid reasons not to wear gear. I don't want to sometimes, I like the feeling without it, and I enjoy not wearing it. All valid reasons to me. If they aren't valid to you, continue to wear every possible piece of safety gear every single time you even get near a motorcycle. If you don't, you would be a hypocrite. I would bet everything I have you don't, so please stop with the flawed logic that you are somehow "smarter" than someone else. I somehow managed to live 35 years riding motorcycles without government interference. I can go for 35 more easy.