Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 02-07-2003, 10:37 AM   #21
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Shot Down In Arkansas

Yes, freedom does include the "freedom to be an idiot". Otherwise, we are all subjected to whose definition of "idiot" we include. My parents thought (and still do think) anyone that rides a motorcycle is an "idiot", helmet or not. Should we include their definition of "idiot", or yours? Since they are in the majority, and we in the minority, I guess motorcycles should be banned(as they feel they are "stupid"), as only "idiots" ride them, according to the masses. With your wonderfully insightful analogy of how all that gear somehow saved your skin, I wonder if the guy that made you a hood ornament was wearing any gear? He was probably complaining about the "idiot" on the motorcycle that got in his way, and wondering why you just don't drive a car like the "smart" people do.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-07-2003, 10:41 AM   #22
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Mandatory Health Insurance for Helmetless Riders

>>Either way I just lightened my bike by 17lbs... <<

Just think about how much $$ you would have had to spend on your bike to get a comparable performance improvement!

Good luck with the cholesteral screening.

Bob

rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 10:42 AM   #23
Neal
Founding Member

Very good post.......the concept that freedom costs and is worth it is an important concept too often forgotten
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 11:07 AM   #24
12er
Founding Member

Why yes the guy that hit me had the latest in safety gear. Seatbelt, airbags, crumple zones, collapsable stearing column, padded dash, abs and last but not least several thousand pounds of safety cage.

My post was not for laws but just basic common sense. Yes many could argue that riding a bike is stupidity, being all the hazards that are about. I still would love to hear a valid reason for not wearing gear. To which it looks as if even you in your infinite wisdom cannot provide.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 11:22 AM   #25
12er
Founding Member

Do you drive a car with 0 safety features?
Old 02-07-2003, 11:23 AM   #26
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Wow, he needed all tha safety gear on that car to knock you on your ass? I bet I could take a 66 VW bug with no seat belts, accomplish the same task ,and come out unscathed. Maybe you would like to test my theory? Basic common sense is dependant on point of view, and I did argue sensibly, and have a valid reason for ,not riding a motorcycle at all. Since you need to have a reason as to why someone wouldn't wear safety gear, just apply the same logic as to why they would ride the bike at all, and you have your reason. I don't need "infinite wisdom" to explain that anyone willing to risk themselves on a motorcycle at all, is in no logical position to call anyone not wearing gear an "idiot".
Old 02-07-2003, 11:26 AM   #27
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Safety features or not, the #1 cause of driver deaths is head injuries, so smart people would wear one. Racers wear them and I do also. Anyone that doesn't wear a helmet while driving is obviously an "idiot". Common sense would tell you that. give me one good reason not to wear one whiloe driving when it could certainly save your life one day.
Old 02-07-2003, 11:34 AM   #28
LocutusDeBorg
Founding Member

yeah, I wisely enclose my head in a federally approved safety device. Some call it a car...
LocutusDeBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 11:51 AM   #29
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default STATE SENATE TO ADDRESS COST OF GANG-RELATED SHOOTINGS

Lansing (AP)

State Senator Ima Cretin (D-Ann Arbor) today introduced a bill intended to minimize the financial burden on Detroit-area medical facilities and welfare agencies that results from passers-by and bystanders being killed or wounded in gang-related shootings. Senator Cretin was unable to cite hard numbers, but stated that the cost "was certainly in the millions of dollars per year."

Senator CretinÂ’s proposal stipulates that any person venturing out of doors in areas designated by local police as "gang turf" must at all times be outfitted with an approved Kevlar vest, similar to those worn by law enforcement personnel. "I recognize that they may not be fashionable, and may be somewhat hot and uncomfortable, especially in summer," stated Senator Cretin, "but society simply cannot bear the full cost of the resulting injuries and deaths. Perhaps the inconvenience of having to wear such protective clothing may discourage some from engaging in such risky behavior. If even one innocent life can be spared by this law, the inconvenience will have been worthwhile."

Senator B.G. Dipschitz (R- Gros Point) has promised to introduce an amendment to this bill. "I understand the concerns of my respected colleague, Ms Cretin, but as a near-libertarian, I simply cannot endorse the State of Michigan mandating the wearing of such protective gear," he stated in a press conference this afternoon. He further elaborated that his version of the bill would eliminate the mandatory wearing of such protective vests by those over age 21, provided that they can show proof of having at least $10,000 in medical insurance coverage. Further, his amendment would provide that in the case where a vest-less gunshot victim is declared dead, or is determined by medical personnel to have non-survivable injuries, said victim will be deemed to have consented for his/her body or organs to be available for transplant or medical research.

The bill, along with any amendments, is expected come before the full Senate sometime later this month.

rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 12:05 PM   #30
12er
Founding Member

keep skirting the question. Logically there is no reason for us to exist at all and everyone is an idiot to someone. So once again I ask is there a valid reason for not wearing gear?