Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 02-07-2003, 08:06 AM   #11
mrweeble
Founding Member

Default Re: Shot Down In Arkansas

Ms. Bledsoe,

I for one applaud the for-sight the committee showed in not allowing your proposal out of committee. The money problems at UAMS are not the result of helmet-less motorcycle riders. What about the indigent population that UAMS serves and the Medicare/Medicaid issues? How much does that cost UAMS? Should we also raise the insurance rates of all of the tobacco users with diagnosed complications from their "habit" in the state? What about the illicit drug users? Or the non-compliant diabetics? Motorcyclists are a small percentage of the problem, how can you possibly single out this group as responsible for this? Did the insurance industry provide you with supporting data? What are the actual facts?

What is the root cause of most motorcycle accidents? It has nothing to do with helmet usage! Maybe the SUV/car driver talking on the cell phone or trying to eat that fast food and failing to yield the right of way, or just not paying any attention to their surroundings has something to do with it! I am a motorcycle rider (I CHOOSE to wear a helmet any time I ride and have taken the motorcycle safety foundation course) and a Registered Nurse that graduated from UAMS. I currently work in critical care in TN and have not had the opportunity to care for any motorcyclists injured as a result of an "accident." I have cared for obese/ non-compliant diabetics with renal failure and heart related problems, as well as smokers with associated heart/lung problems, is their insurance higher because of their personal freedom of choice?

I spent 20 years in the military protecting the right to freedom of choice for all Americans. I respect your right to be who you are and make your own decisions as an adult in this country. I do not recognize your right to make decisions for me about my personal freedom of choice!

mrweeble is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-07-2003, 08:19 AM   #12
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I always wonder how they can link not wearing a helmet to not paying hospital bills. the two have NOTHING to do with each other. How many injuries in autos have occurred where the occupants can't pay the bills? Why do they never compare those two, the motorcycle losses and autos? Because the car owners lose big time. Then it's time to start mandatory health insurance minimums for car drivers, and that would include the idiots that make the laws. Lawmakers only make laws that affect other people, not themselves, so a manadatory insurance bill would include them, and we couldn't have that. They only study and release statistics that are favorable to their opinion. 90% of the truth is not the truth.
Old 02-07-2003, 08:28 AM   #13
gooseman_1
Founding Member

"...the hospital lost about $1 million over six years on motorcyclists who are injured while not wearing helmets and can't pay their medical bills."

How is this different than a belt-less driver not paying their post-crash medical bills? I've not heard of any laws pertaining to that! And what difference does it make what they were wearing? If they don't have health insurance they still cost everyone money. Seems like they can't see the forest through the trees.

"...require that all motorcyclists, helmeted or not, carry at least $10,000 in health insurance."

I was feeling good about this news until the last sentence. Health insurance is a good thing to have, but the Govt. stipulating who must have it and how much is they need is ridiculous (and un-constitutional). Unfortunately, today's health insurance rates are beyond the reach of many americans.

I hope Bledsoe's new version of this bill is defeated as soundly as the last.
gooseman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 08:35 AM   #14
gooseman_1
Founding Member

Two things: First, thank you for your service to this country. Second, your last two sentences (amoung others) are right on!
Old 02-07-2003, 08:45 AM   #15
gooseman_1
Founding Member

When you posted this I was composing my own; they are very similar. I don't want to be accused of copying! (like some Japanese bike makers, huh KPC)

Even when lawmakers DO pass bills that effect them, they have the money to easily pay the increased costs, while their constituents may not. (Oh yeah, and sometimes they get out of paying them anyway)
Old 02-07-2003, 09:16 AM   #16
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: When will legislators just stop legislating?

Abe. Thank you for reminding every one of the guiding principles so eloquently stated by our founding fathers. My personal favorite on the subject of governmental interference is " That which governs least, governs best." VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 09:31 AM   #17
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Mandatory Health Insurance for Helmetless Riders

I think this is an excellent idea (requiring at least $10,000 healt insurance for riders who chose to ride without helmets).

Then, by logical extention, we should do the same for others who chose "risky" lifestyles. We can start with smokers -- can't buy a pack of cigs without showing your insurance card along with your ID. Same for buying alcohol.

Fast food has recently been cited as a serious health risk for Americans, so McDonalds and Burger King et al will also have to check your insurance card before selling you that cheeseburger. No insurance, better settle for the vegeburger!

Unprotected sex for sure is one of the largest social costs -- between the cost of treating STDs and unplanned pregnancies, and the costs for supporting the resulting offspring. Unproducted sex should be strictly prohibited unless the practicioners can show proof of insurance, as well as the ability to financially support any resulting offspring.

I am sure that uninsured hospital charges resulting from smoking and poor eating habits, and unprotected sex are much more significant than from helmetless cylists, so I suggest we start there, and roll it out to other risky behaviours or lifestyles in order of $s. If we go after these practices in order of their cost to society, we should get around to helmetless riders sometime late in the century.

Cheers

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 09:36 AM   #18
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Mandatory Health Insurance for Helmetless Riders

I posted on another thread the estimated health care costs of obese people at 177 billion ,I believe. How about full face helmets for people diagnosed as obese, and the shield only opens 3 times a day for 3 minutes. This would prevent 24 hour feeding frenzies, which result in higher health costs for all of us, that I am sick of paying for. Maybe I'm onto something here.........
Old 02-07-2003, 10:02 AM   #19
12er
Founding Member

Gravity is not on your side. When I hear "Protective gear is way to expensive", price a skin graft...

One night in the hospital and my aerostich, helmet, boots, gloves and spine protector are paid for with money left over. Granted even the best gear cannot save your life in certain situations but at least my hide is covered and my odds are a little better.

While I havent road tested my 'stich I did have a little run in while wearing my First Gear Kilimanjaro (which feels like a windbreaker compaired to my stich). Beauty of it was I had just parked my bike and was walking across the street when a minivan decided to make me a hood ornimant. After the brakes were applied I went for a nice little slide across several lanes of the intersection. I got up Pi$$ed off but pretty much unharmed with only my helmet taking few scratches (being that it was in my hand at the time). As luck would have it my head wasnt involved. The half inch of space foam armor and synthetic skin impressed the hell out of me though.

To each their own, but how smart are you to choose NOT to wear gear? If anyone has a VALID reason not to wear it, I'd love to hear it. You would think this would be a non issue. Then again Freedom includes the freedom to be an Idiot...

Ride Safe
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 10:21 AM   #20
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: Mandatory Health Insurance for Helmetless Riders

Great idea but somehow the cronic bingers would figure out how to beer b0ng twinkies in those few minutes a day.

For what its worth Ive been on the Atkins program for 2.5 weeks and have lost 17lbs and feel like a million bucks. Best $7.99 I have ever spent. If anyone is interested I'll post updates as the weeks go by. Couple more weeks and I'll be adding to the 40% of nonoverweight Americans. 3.5 more weeks and I go in for my second Cholesterol screening, then I'll know if Atkins is full of it or a Genius. Either way I just lightened my bike by 17lbs...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote