Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Paging Miss Myers,... (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/15977-paging-miss-myers.html)

MOKE1K 08-03-2010 04:43 AM

Paging Miss Myers,...

16-year-old Elena Myers to ride Suzuki MotoGP bike

Rizla Suzuki MotoGP has invited 16-year-old AMA Supersport race winner Elena Myers to ride its GSV-R at Valencia, following the final MotoGP event of the 2010 season.

The offer was made after Myers was invited to tour the Rizla Suzuki pit garage during the Red Bull U.S. Grand Prix at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca last weekend (pictured).

“We saw that she was doing quite well over here on her Suzuki,” said Tim Walpole, Rizla Suzuki MotoGP Press and PR Officer. “So we thought she might like to come by the box and get to meet the guys and have a look at how we do things.”

“It blows my mind that people like that are kind of looking at me and the AMA stuff,” said Myers, who rides for the Lucas Oil Roadracingworld.com RMR Suzuki team. “To get this opportunity is a once in a lifetime kind of thing.”

When Myers arrived in Rizla Suzuki's garage, she was introduced to MotoGP racer Loris Capirossi, who asked a lot of questions about her racing and invited her to sit on the GSV-R.

“It felt really small,” said Myers, “but everything, all the bars and levers and pegs were exactly where I wanted it. I was like, 'I could ride this thing right out of here.'

"It was really cool, especially talking to Capirossi. I have a lot of respect for the guy but even more now that I've talked to him. I thought he was a really down-to-earth guy. Talking to him was just crazy, to say the least.”

Myers also met Rizla Suzuki's MotoGP rookie Alvaro Bautista, who explained what all the switches and buttons on the GSV-R's handlebars and dashboard did.

After Myers chatted with Bautista, it was time for the Rizla Suzuki crew to start the warm-up procedure on one of Capirossi's machines, and they allowed Myers' assistance to blip the throttle of the 240-horsepower beast.

MOKE1K 08-03-2010 04:45 AM

16-year-old Elena Myers to ride Suzuki MotoGP bike

“It was like a 125 almost with the way the rpm went up so fast,” said Myers. “Any movement of the throttle made the revs jump so fast. I'm just speechless about the whole thing.”

While she was visiting the Suzuki garage, a couple of different team staffers asked Myers if she would like to ride one of the GSV-R racebikes some time, and she thought they were joking.

But team manager Paul Denning then made it clear that he would like to give her an opportunity to do some laps on one of the bikes, after the season-ending grand prix in Spain.

Denning explained that it wouldn't be a 'test' as such, just a chance for Myers to ride a MotoGP bike.

“If I could ride it that would just be the most insane thing ever, even if it was for just a couple of laps. I'm just speechless about it, it's so crazy,” said Myers.

“It was all pretty overwhelming, but that's where I want to be some day,” she added. “And this just makes me want it even more now. I'm going to be motivated no matter what, but seeing what this is all like makes me want it even more.”

MOKE1K 08-03-2010 11:14 AM

This girl is going to kill it, when she arrives at the world stage. Baring injuries of course.

acecycleins 08-03-2010 07:33 PM

Schwantz has her back. RMR is a good team and results are solid. I met the kid at Rd Atl. Told her to her face that she'd win before mid season. Red flag aside- so got that win. She's the real deal and little girls everywhere have a legit racing role model.

MOKE1K 08-04-2010 03:30 AM

It will be exciting to see her rise to the top, now for some more wins under her belt. Boy wouldn't that be embarrassing for Bautista if she got close to his times at Valencia.

Dr_Sprocket 08-04-2010 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 246994)
This girl is going to kill it, when she arrives at the world stage. Baring injuries of course.

Do you actually think she's going to get to that level... and succeed?

acecycleins 08-04-2010 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket (Post 247040)

YES! Without doubt.

MOKE1K 08-04-2010 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket (Post 247040)

I think she has more than a chance at success, as long as she doesnt get hurt. The visit to the Rizzla garage makes her want it even more.

boneshaker 08-10-2010 05:07 PM

She has the potential of becoming successful and of course the looks :)

TheCycleGuy 08-24-2010 10:58 PM

Being offered a test on a GP bike at this stage of her career? Way too early. A publicity stunt. Plenty of other people (guys of course) are more deserving of such a chance.

Anyone remember Matt Wait? Mike Hale? And those guys had way more experience than Myers does now.

I'm not saying she'll never be good enough for GP, I think it would be awesome if she made it that far. After 3 or 4 more successful seasons of production bike racing, that is.