Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-30-2003, 08:53 PM   #1
ShawnVegas
Founding Member

Default What about the V-Strom?

V-STROM!!!

It's more than your budget (new), but it wouldn't be as dramatic a change as going from V-Star to YZF.

It will have the range for your 200 mile trips, you can put anything on it with the factory cases. It would be perfect for camping trips. You can probably find a year old one for $7000.00 V-Twin, 6-speed tranny, 5.8 gallon tank...you can't beat it!

(I don't own one, BTW, I ride a GL1800)
ShawnVegas is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-30-2003, 09:16 PM   #2
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Default Re: Cruiser rider thinking about a Sport Bike

You need to look at something like an SV 650. All those 600s are wonderful bikes, and the less extreme ones can certainly be ridden on a daily basis, but the whole idea of the SV is to make living with it as easy as possible.

You need to ask yourself if you just want to look sporty, and are willing to put up with a less comfortable riding position to get that look, or if you want something that meets your needs, but doesn't look all that "radical"
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 09:50 PM   #3
Betamax
Founding Member

The 600's you're considering have a top speed around 150 mph, so don't worry about highway cruising.

And your 750 Magna would kick butt on your 1100 V-Star, so obviously engine size isn't everything.

But I don't know how happy you'd be with sportbike ergos after a career with cruisers.

Have you ridden a newer Magna? They've got 10 more hp than your '85, a top speed of 130, and they cruise very smoothly at 75.

If you really want more of a sportbike, and at that price, then consider a new SV650, like the previous poster suggested. But buy the 'naked' version, not the faired SVS650, which is less comfortable.

The SV650 is a great bike, 70 hp and 120 top speed, and perfect for everything you want to do. It gets rave reviews and is widely consider a 'best bang for the buck' kind of bike. You can't go wrong with one.
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 09:53 PM   #4
PigBear
Founding Member

I did the same thing. Went from an '86 700 Honda Shadow to a '00 996 SuperHawk. I wanted a sport bike. It's easy to ride, the twin makes power smoothly everywhere and reminds me of my cruiser.

It sounds like you would be happier with a sport-touring bike. They can exceed $7,000 quite easily though.

In answer to your question about the 600 they move quite well. They are light and generally handle well too. If you are planning on riding with a passenger a 600 MAY not have enough grunt or could be more than the recommended load for the bike. For example, my girlfriend and I weigh more together than the max recommended load for my bike.

Since you're not interested in racing you probably won't care about the top-end of a 600 either. Both the bikes you list should be quite capable.

You might try searching the groups on Google to get some impressions from owners of the bikes you're looking at: http://www.google.com/grphp?hl=en&am...e=UTF-8&q=
Old 01-30-2003, 10:06 PM   #5
JoeBlade
Founding Member

Buy a "Super-Standard" that's two years old. It will be comfortable, dirt cheap, haul you, your girlfriend, and your luggage, faster than you want to go. Handle pretty damn good, and will cruise the freeways at 70 easily. A Kwaka ZRX1100/1200, Kwaka Z1000, Suzuki Bandit 1200, or Yamaha FZ1 all fit the bill perfectly. You want to do it all and these bike are all from the old "Do it All" school. Your couldn't ask for more.

My personal recommendation, a 4 year old ZRX 1100, with Cams, Carbs, and Steering damper + maybe a nice set of sport tires.

Shouldn't run you more than $5500 totally dialed in.
JoeBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 10:21 PM   #6
crazybike_37
Founding Member

SV650S.

I'm 6'3, 190 lbs. and the ergos are 200 mile comfy.

I get around 50mpg.(better when cruising w/o stopping) It has a 4.2 gallon tank.

Do the math(200 miles to a tank easily).

My 2001 has zero vibration at highway speeds

(70mph)

It's about 6 1/2 grand brand new. Don't buy a new one. They last forever.

Yep, you can strap plenty of stuff on it.

It's easy to ride, nice clutch, fat powerband, smooth controls, great brakes.

A kawasaki ZR-7S would fit your bill too, but it would vibrate more than the SVS.

NOTE: If you get an SV, you'll want to get an "S" model, for the fairing. It makes highway cruising WAY more enjoyable.
Old 01-30-2003, 10:39 PM   #7
zzrwood
Founding Member

err, maybe a Honda VFR? or perhaps a Ducati STx would fit the bill (don't know what they go for in the US though)

Cheers

Robert

Brisbane, Australia
zzrwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 11:31 PM   #8
TrackDaddy
Registered Member

Well Count, here's my .02 worth...

Any of the modern 4 cylinder 600's will provide a lot more power than the motor on any of the bikes you have owned. In fact, they both make close to double the power that you are used too, on a bike that is over a hundred pounds lighter. So you don't have anything to worry about in the "horsepower war".

Several of the folks that have already posted have suggested the SV65, and while it is a great bike, you may find one of the current fully faired sportbikes a better choice for your 200 mile trips, especially if they involve a long highway drone

The bikes you listed are all good choices, but I would also recommend the Honda CBR 600F4. The CBR's tend to be very smooth at freeway speed and make excellent all-around low maintenance transportation. And you should be able to pick up this, or any other 2 year old 600, for under $5000.

As several people have pointed out, any of these bikes will have no problems with freeway speeds of 70mph. In fact, all of them will cruise comfortably well in excess of 80. So, get yourself a nice 600cc sportbike, buy a magnetic tank back and a set of soft saddle bags, and get ready to have a lot of fun.
Old 01-31-2003, 12:03 AM   #9
Pulsar
Founding Member

before buying a ZR-7, compare it to the suzuki GSX 750 naked.. comfortable riding position, even with my 1.96m.

it would also fit in your 7000$ budget, in

original price of course .

it has a nice bang for the buck, and much more lively compared to the ZR-7.
Pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 12:13 AM   #10
xlr8r
Founding Member

As you say, you come from a cruiser background. What you are used to is the feel of big pistons turning at relatively low revs. A 600 four-cylinder will feel like a hairdryer, despite developing twice the power you are used to and clocking more than twice the speed you say you want. Buy a modern standard with big pistons, therefore, and it will give you what you want without feeling tiny. Try a BMW R850/1100/1150R: big pistons, no vibes, comfy ergos, huge luggage space. You should find a dealer-serviced three or four-year old one within your price range and it will do at least another hundred thousand miles with you. How far did you want to go?
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote