Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-31-2003, 05:17 AM   #21
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: You must further refine your criteria...

Great Suggestions, Ken. I was gonna wade in with my suggestions, but you pretty well covered it.

I speculate that someone used to a cruiser's power/torque characteristics might be somewhat put off by the more peaky, revvy nature of the 600 sportbikes, and would be happier with the motor of either something like the SV650 like many have suggested, or a larger-engined "standard" eg ZRX, etc.

If one is willing to buy used, there are a number of choices in the price range, including BMW R1100s, Ducati Monsters, Honda Hawk, to name just a few (being obsolete myself, I favor obsolete twins!), as well as late model, low mileage ZRX1200s and the like.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-31-2003, 05:22 AM   #22
nferr
Founding Member

Default Re: Cruiser rider thinking about a Sport Bike

I ride a Triumph Sprint RS which is a great all around bike. Has the 955 fuel injected triple with tons of torque so it has the low down power of a cruiser but also has the horsepower when you rev it. The riding position is comfy enough for long trips, also gets 50 MPG so you can go 230 miles before stopping. Looks good with the half fairing but has decent wind protection so it fits for around town, commuting or touring. I have the Triumph fabric bags which are really huge and come on and off in a couple of minutes. I came off a Triumph Adventurer "cruiser" and have never looked back.

You can find leftover Sprint RS in the 6500 to 7500 range pretty easily.
nferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 05:45 AM   #23
Ken_Packard
Founding Member

Default Re: You must further refine your criteria...

I concur with your sentiments on engine characteristics. Bottom line, riders must consider whether they want a bike that "lunges" at basically any rpm (twin), or whether they prefer to "ride the boost" after winding up an inline four. Triples and V4s offer variations.

I also agree that the used market offers far more options for basically any budget. Some days while zoning out at work, the choices give me fits!

One day I want to sport tour cross country at way-illegal speeds with a Hayabusa, other days I want to enjoy an R1150RT or FJR1300. Crossing the Alps on an ST4 like Jossef just did would be fun (or was it an ST2? Doesn't matter). A tricked out ZRX could be had for cheap, but then again, the Bandit and FZ1 offer good value too. How much fun IS a VStrom, and what about that '04 KTM Duke? I'd like a ripper like a ZX-9, as everyone says it's a friendly companion, however wouldn't the SV1000S also give me that extra power that I've been looking for while keeping it in my current stable's family? But do I really NEED all that power? I mean, what about that guy who schooled me on a KLX 650? Maybe he's got the answers. It never flippin' ends and I've had every bike available for sale in my mind at least once.

It's like a visit to the Playboy Mansion and trying to decide what to ride first!
Ken_Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 08:10 AM   #24
crazybike_37
Founding Member

As much as I hate to admit it, I think you're right in suggesting the Hawk 750 over the SVS that I recommended. Unless he's worried about looks, this probably IS a better deal for him. Kudos on the logic. The sad thing is, he'll probably be impressed w/ the power
Old 01-31-2003, 08:23 AM   #25
12er
Founding Member

Ive talked several of my buddies into buying the 600R. Once they sat on it they were sold. Even my huge 6'6 300lbs whale of a self fit on it and was comfortable for 200 miles. If your arms get tired just twist the throttle a little more and lay in the wind blast. Being tall with ape like arms I have no problem with weight on my wrists. The folding of the legs is a different story but the 600R isnt that bad even with a 36 inseem. Scary as it sounds I can even rest my elbows on my knees and lay on the tank. Go to a dealership and sit on one for about 45 minutes while asking all the questions you can. Remember if your arms get tired on the showroom floor you will have the wind to aid in holding you up on the road. Also the bike is so easy to ride you would swear its plugged into your brain. Think where you want to go and there you are. Its much more comfortable than the F4 and the extra weight helps in the wind and smooths out the road.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 11:17 AM   #26
wwalkersd
Founding Member

Default Re: What about the V-Strom?

I have to second this, and I _do_ own a V-Strom. I traded a Ducati ST4 for the 'Strom because my bad back couldn't take the Ducati's riding position for long periods, despite many reports about it being "all-day comfortable". The Strom is nearly as much fun as the Duc (OK, I admit I'm not much of a peg-scraper). Comfortable, fast, an engine with character. Great bike. Change the windshield, though.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 12:33 PM   #27
sarnali
Founding Member

The Kawasaki ZR7S, would be a good choice too, price/performance wise I think they're pretty comparable to the Nighthawk and might offer a little more excitment, That yaller ZR7S is a sharp looking bike IMHO and the '02 tested well in MO.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 12:34 PM   #28
obandoj
Founding Member

Well mister Funkula what you really need is a good used 95 750 Honda VFR. Let me explain, they are very good looking, they are very powerful in an unintimidating way, they put out their horsepower in a very wide, rich power band, they have the most glorious engine music, they are very comfortable, 500 mile comfortable, they are very very reliable, you can put soft lugage and a tank bag on them and go touring, your passanger will love you for it, oh and the most beautiful single sided swing arm, designed by Elf of GP fame, makes for the easiest chain adjustment in the world. Did I forget to mention that I have a beautiful one, with 10K miles, for sale? Well I do, would you like some pictures?
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 06:32 AM   #29
davyt
Founding Member

I own a '01 YZF600R and have put almost 33,000 miles on it now. I believe it will fulfill all of your criteria:

o About as comfortable as sportbikes get with very similar ****pit dimensions as a Honda Interceptor. In other words, closer to a sport-tourer than a race replica. I wouldn't mind a little more leg room--I have a 34 inch inseam--but I could fix that with some extra foam in the seat.

o At 80 mph in sixth gear the engine is turning at 6,000 rpm; redline is at 13,000 rpm. Vibration is not intrusive although you will feel some in the bars and foot pegs as this is, after all, an inline four. I'm very sensitive to vibration and I haven't found it to be a problem.

o Easy to ride. And even more fun to ride.

o Hooks are available under the passenger's portion of the seat. If you pack reasonable light this shouldn't be a problem.

davyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 06:55 AM   #30
davyt
Founding Member

Man, that "Preview" button is too close to the "Ok!" button: sorry about the previous posting. Anyway...

I own a '01 YZF600R and have put almost 33,000 miles on it now. I believe it will fulfill all of your criteria:

o About as comfortable as sportbikes get with ****pit dimensions very similar to those of a Honda VFR800 Interceptor. In other words, closer to a sport-tourer than a race replica. I wouldn't mind a little more leg room--I have a 34 inch inseam--but I could fix that with some extra foam in the seat.

o At 80 mph in sixth gear the engine is turning at 6,000 rpm; redline is at 13,000 rpm. Vibration is not intrusive although you will feel some in the bars and foot pegs as this is, after all, an inline four. I'm very sensitive to vibration and I haven't found it to be a problem.

o Easy to ride. And even more fun to ride. The clutch can be a little grabby but is not indicative of a problem.

o Hooks are available under the passenger's portion of the seat. If you pack reasonably light this shouldn't be a problem.

o MSRP is $6999.

My sample has been very reliable, absolutely no problems. Valve inspection intervals are 30,000 miles. Good gas mileage and a 5 gallon tank results in fewer fill ups. Handles well. Very good brakes. Easy to find good replacement tires. Hard to find faults. All in all, a great little bike!
davyt is offline   Reply With Quote