Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Two New American Bike Companies (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/15702-two-new-american-bike-companies.html)

acecycleins 07-05-2010 07:53 AM

Two New American Bike Companies

As reported on MCN the Motus guys have a bench test of the new V-4 1600cc pushrod engine. Sounds like a Chevy small block- pretty cool. The guys look well on their way into the Sport-Tour market.

Addionally, the Swedes move the entire Highland Ops to OK. If you know anything about Highland it's filled with ex-KTM engineers. I found that info on Motorcyle Daily. Seems that American dirt is the new future and they will build bikes tailored to the rider- STRAIGHT FROM THE FACTORY!!! and delivered in about 7 days from order date. Pretty cool.

That's it. Feel free to look at the respective sites and tell everyone your thoughts. I thought we might be in for good times for 2011/2012.

pplassm 07-05-2010 02:50 PM

Highland has been trying to market that engine for a decade now. Word is the kinks haven't all been worked out of the FI they want to use. Also, it's heavier than the current offerings from other manufacturers. The V-Twin enduro, however, looks more interesting.

kp1600 07-11-2010 05:55 PM

I toured the highland factory during there open house last month. I live about 45 min from there. Its a small operation, bikes are made one at a time at seperate work stations, no assembly line. The bikes we saw look like real screamers. Here is one its called the viking.

kp1600 07-11-2010 06:00 PM

Thats not me in the picture, but its the highland plant.

mscuddy 07-11-2010 07:07 PM

I dunno laddie, that flat tracker looks like some of the parts were pirated from the Home Despot plumbing section. That Highland motor is pretty (pretty cobby).

pushrod 07-12-2010 06:47 AM

+1, Cuddy!

They look a bit agricultural, with a hint of incompleteness.

While they may run great (assuming they work at all) they just don't look 'finished' to me.

pushrod 07-12-2010 07:57 AM

Terrible News! Highland Execs die in Plane Crash!

Cycle News | U.S. Highland Execs Killed.

God rest their souls!

Sympathies to their families.

The_AirHawk 07-12-2010 08:24 AM

Kenneth_Moore 07-12-2010 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscuddy (Post 245409)
I dunno laddie, that flat tracker looks like some of the parts were pirated from the Home Despot plumbing section. That Highland motor is pretty (pretty cobby).

That's a Spondon frame. Spondon has a good reputation in the industry. Apparently they make their own frame for the other bikes.

The Highland motor is said to have an incredible power to weight ratio. The "mild" tune is running 120hp, the hot tune over 150. The engine weighs less than 100 lbs.

I'm rooting for them. We need a US m/c builder success story. Especially since the a-holes at HD did Buell in.

MOKE1K 07-12-2010 11:13 AM

Was just going to mention the Spondon Frame, ya beat me to it!!

Wonder if they were renting a Harley airplane?